Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8906 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #376
Veteran Member

Sea gulls

Flickr 上 starjedisea gull 5

Last edited by starjedi; 01-24-2014 at 08:47 PM.
01-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #377
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
My son on his snow skate. The cat came to see what was going on.

You even labelled the cat for us... 2/3 way up the right hand side.
01-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You even labelled the cat for us... 2/3 way up the right hand side.
Not an accident.
01-20-2014, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #379
Pentaxian

From my Saturday walk with.. cross posted from Post Your Photos and K-3 images. DA 18-135. Exif is not stripped, so you can download and view exif.

Leaving town for the park, the gas station with restaurant and the Mad Mucher Restaurant both had their parking lots full with snow mobiles.

At the car park, dog sledders are waiting to take some people out for some overnight winter camping.

Heading out on the trail.

The Big Pine (taken with the Sigma 8-16)

A spruce bog..

Stopping in to see the Jays...

01-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Taken with K-01 infrared.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
01-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #381
Forum Member

Brussels, last summer

Houses at Grand Place
01-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #382
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A Unicorn?

A modern day unicorn?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #383
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
More like the ground version of a Narwhale.
01-23-2014, 01:05 AM   #384
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
01-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #385
mee
Veteran Member

I wonder how many of you are Post Processing with clarity plugins or features on your software? Or is this lens really just that all across the map with respect to sharpness? I see some people's images here and they are all super sharp.. and others where they are all pretty soft. Shot at same aperture..
01-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #386
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I wonder how many of you are Post Processing with clarity plugins or features on your software? Or is this lens really just that all across the map with respect to sharpness? I see some people's images here and they are all super sharp.. and others where they are all pretty soft. Shot at same aperture..
You do realize that you're talking about a lens rated in the excellent ranges for canter sharpness, in at least one f stop in every focal length?

With hand held images, you never know what you're getting... and this is a lens that is frequently hand held.

Anyone who isn't post processing all their images to the best of their ability isn't trying. But, that being said, I use the same presets for this lens I use for every other lens. I don't do lens specific presets. But what happens when I'm tweaking the presets after, it could be different, but it's not noticeably different. Almost every image has to be tweaked somewhat. The 18-135 images don't require anything special.
01-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #387
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I am using LightRoom. If ISO is low, I may increase sharpness to 40. I rarely increase Clarity but may crop a bit. This lens may not be sharp @ border but normally you will be unaware unless you are pixel-peeping.

Last summer in Amsterdam with my K-5

Central Station

Western Church

Dam Square

Last edited by Reltih; 01-25-2014 at 10:20 AM.
01-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #388
Pentaxian

My son has a 18-135 he got with his K30. I tried it on my K5 and it looked super sharp. Based on that experience, I bought my own copy (very cheaply) as a kit with the K3. My experience with the new lens confirms that with my son's: very sharp with some softness and a little CA on the edges at the long end.

This shot (24mm, f7.1, iso100, polarizing filter, RAW) shows an almost surreal sharpness and punch. No extra sharpening has been added in post (using Aperture).

01-25-2014, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #389
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
18-135 lens

I find it to be quite capable as a walk-around lens, stopped down a bit. When composing, I sometimes allow some extra space on edges for cropping if the edge sharpness is critical. Some shots from the Yarra Valley area an hour drive from Melbourne.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
01-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #390
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You do realize that you're talking about a lens rated in the excellent ranges for canter sharpness, in at least one f stop in every focal length?

With hand held images, you never know what you're getting... and this is a lens that is frequently hand held.

Anyone who isn't post processing all their images to the best of their ability isn't trying. But, that being said, I use the same presets for this lens I use for every other lens. I don't do lens specific presets. But what happens when I'm tweaking the presets after, it could be different, but it's not noticeably different. Almost every image has to be tweaked somewhat. The 18-135 images don't require anything special.
Yes. Actually, I own this lens.

Even stopped down to f/5.6 mine doesn't seem to behave like the sharper images in this gallery.. it is closer to the upper middle in sharpness if there was a level between the really sharp images listed here and the really soft. Which, after seeing some really soft series of images in this thread followed by really sharp, led me to my question.. how many of these are truly the lens and how much is actually PP cleanup for the limitations of the lens? Any PP work gives an inaccurate view of any lens if it is rather involved in a thread I thought about the natural aspects of the lens in question.