Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8906 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2016, 09:20 PM - 2 Likes   #1591
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I've broken my hood too. Fell on it skiing. Sure hurt my ribs!
I also had a rough spot in the zoom range but somehow it's gotten better.
Yeah, I'm glad the hood was there as it probably would have been worse damage to the lens if it wasn't. The lens did get a few minor scratches from the silt and sand that inevitably got on the front element. I tried to be careful when cleaning it but that stuff dries on like concrete and just doesn't like to come off. I have't noticed any issues with images.

Here is a shot before I headed off on my own for a second float by myself. I love the Capture Clip for uses like this. Raft, check. Satellite communicator, check. .44 magnum for bear protection, check. Camera to document it all, check.

A nice spot to take a break. Denali (formerly Mt. McKinley) is behind the clouds just to the left of the mountains in the background.

06-16-2016, 09:16 PM - 2 Likes   #1592

Photos: Gallery
Some more mountains.

Sunrise

Ridges

Mirror

06-17-2016, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #1593
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes you use a lens because you need a picture of something and it's the closest to your hand and already on the camera. DA 18-135 and K-5.

Last edited by normhead; 06-18-2016 at 06:28 PM.
06-18-2016, 01:13 AM   #1594
Veteran Member

https://flic.kr/p/HNp76C

---------- Post added 06-18-16 at 01:14 AM ----------

Low light...SR works at 18 and 1/ just fine

---------- Post added 06-18-16 at 01:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
https://flic.kr/p/HNp76C

---------- Post added 06-18-16 at 01:14 AM ----------

Low light...SR works at 18 mm and 1/ just fine

06-18-2016, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #1595
Pentaxian

Cross posted to Post Your Photos

My trip to Niagara on the Lake.

The first thing you need to know about Niagara on the Lake is it's pretty high end. The Shaw festival is there. There is lots of theatre, if you wish to take in a play. So start with theatre, how snooty is that? Then add, wine connoisseurs. and cheese samplers. You get snoot to the snootiest degree.

Forgetfully I took no images of the theatres but the Wineries on the way into town you can't avoid. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person.

Many have meals where you get five different types of wine served with your meal, and the correct cheese served with each one. It all sounds very complicated and possibly inebriating.

It has some charming and very expensive looking Hotels, named after kings and princes and such, after all, you can't go to the theatre and sampling wine while staying in a dive can you? Notice it's named the Prince of Wales Hotel without saying which one, so it could be any old Prince of Wales, becoming obsolete only if there were to be a Princess of Wales with no prince someday.

And every second dwelling is a bed and breakfast.

I'm guessing I couldn't even afford the breakfast.

Being quite old it has a very old Post office with an appropriate war memorial.

Which for some odd reason people enjoy taking selfies in front of. Oh wait, that yellow wall behind her is the Wine Sampling Cheese tasting eatery, my bad.

Some of the oldest settlers residences in Ontario are here.

This one I suspect was the house of one of the first Governors of Ontario

And this one was the home of an African American who once led a 200 person strong raid on the local jail to free a run-away slave who was being held to be extradited back to Kentucky. In Canada if you do something to help the oppressed, they put a plaque in front of your house. Well if it was two hundred years ago and 150 years after you died they do. The woman holding the cat has her Ph.D in history and is delighted to be living in a house with a historical plaque on the front. There's something really funny about that but I can't put my finger on it.

There's an art school, with an old light house on the property and Niagara on the Lake's original pump house acts as a gallery for students. SO if you meet a graduate of the Niagara on the Lake art school and they have a lot of Lighthouse painting that look like this one, it's because there's not much else on the grounds to paint.

And of course what would a good old wine tasting cheese sampling, theatre going bash be without a horse ride. It just wouldn't seem right.

Last edited by normhead; 06-18-2016 at 06:27 PM.
06-19-2016, 04:40 AM   #1596
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Love it Norm! You should pair up with Rick Steves and do a travel guide.

The last time we were at Niagara On The Lake, I couldn't even find a parking spot in town. We drove through, had a nice picnic lunch on the river near its mouth into Lake Ontario, and continued our journey upstream.
06-19-2016, 05:33 AM   #1597
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Love it Norm! You should pair up with Rick Steves and do a travel guide.

The last time we were at Niagara On The Lake, I couldn't even find a parking spot in town. We drove through, had a nice picnic lunch on the river near its mouth into Lake Ontario, and continued our journey upstream.
Cross posted commentary from another thread.

It was interesting in a "so this is how the other half lives" kind of way. Most of the shops were like camera stores with a K-1 in stock. I'm not going in because I might buy something expensive. My way of dealing with my lack of will power is to avoid going into places where I might need it.

The place is being ripped up and made acceptable for the very rich at an alarming rate. It is impossible to find free parking. Even the public parks have meters on the parking spaces. I wonder if your farm hands could even find a place to chug down a cheap beer these days. Our lunch sandwiches and pizza for 4 ran well over $80. If we'd gone to Timmies like suggested it would have been less than $30, but hey. The attraction of the place seems to be you can splurge on really expensive stuff you wouldn't normally buy. So, I guess if you gp there, that's what you do. I have to admit, my chicken sandwich was probably the most tasty chicken sandwich I've ever had (even if I usually pay $4 for a chicken salad sandwich, not $15. And my half of the $8 take out desert, that pushed my share of the picnic lunch to over $20 ? To die for.

My wallet was saved by the fact, I'm still trying to keep my weight down. We walked by the desert place again later in the day. That was all that saved me another $16 worth of deserts, which is what my step son went in and procured.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/323954-streets-niagar...#ixzz4C1nGhz8n

06-19-2016, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #1598
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Start of Summer

We were out at the family's lakeside cottage this weekend. The dog needed to go at dawn, so since I had to get out of bed, I took my camera outside with me. Technically summer starts in a couple more days, but this is close enough.

And yes, this is not a 'pure' image. There is way too much contrast shooting directly into the rising sun. This is a -3EV to +3EV in-camera auto-HDR shot. That handled quite a bit of the contrast, but I did restore some of the sunrise color lost with the HDR setting by tweaking saturation in Adobe Camera Raw.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #1599
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Cross posted to Post Your Photos

My trip to Niagara on the Lake.

The first thing you need to know about Niagara on the Lake is it's pretty high end. The Shaw festival is there. There is lots of theatre, if you wish to take in a play. So start with theatre, how snooty is that? Then add, wine connoisseurs. and cheese samplers. You get snoot to the snootiest degree.

Forgetfully I took no images of the theatres but the Wineries on the way into town you can't avoid. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person.
Do you remember the name of that winery? I'm sure I had dinner there years ago which probably makes me a bad person.

QuoteQuote:
Many have meals where you get five different types of wine served with your meal, and the correct cheese served with each one. It all sounds very complicated and possibly inebriating.

It has some charming and very expensive looking Hotels, named after kings and princes and such, after all, you can't go to the theatre and sampling wine while staying in a dive can you? Notice it's named the Prince of Wales Hotel without saying which one, so it could be any old Prince of Wales, becoming obsolete only if there were to be a Princess of Wales with no prince someday.

And every second dwelling is a bed and breakfast.

I'm guessing I couldn't even afford the breakfast.

Being quite old it has a very old Post office with an appropriate war memorial.

Which for some odd reason people enjoy taking selfies in front of. Oh wait, that yellow wall behind her is the Wine Sampling Cheese tasting eatery, my bad.

Some of the oldest settlers residences in Ontario are here.

This one I suspect was the house of one of the first Governors of Ontario

And this one was the home of an African American who once led a 200 person strong raid on the local jail to free a run-away slave who was being held to be extradited back to Kentucky. In Canada if you do something to help the oppressed, they put a plaque in front of your house. Well if it was two hundred years ago and 150 years after you died they do. The woman holding the cat has her Ph.D in history and is delighted to be living in a house with a historical plaque on the front. There's something really funny about that but I can't put my finger on it.

There's an art school, with an old light house on the property and Niagara on the Lake's original pump house acts as a gallery for students. SO if you meet a graduate of the Niagara on the Lake art school and they have a lot of Lighthouse painting that look like this one, it's because there's not much else on the grounds to paint.

And of course what would a good old wine tasting cheese sampling, theatre going bash be without a horse ride. It just wouldn't seem right.
06-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #1600
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This has been posted elsewhere, thought I would post it here as I took this IR photo with my 18-135. I think I read somewhere on this thread, it should be for "Straight Out of Camera" photos. Sorry if this is the case, these IR shots need extreme levels adjustments unless you like mostly red washed out photos. :P

06-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #1601
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Do you remember the name of that winery? I'm sure I had dinner there years ago which probably makes me a bad person.
Tess and I are going there in the fall. We'll join you on the bad person list.
But no, I'm going to have to figure it out, I can't remember which of the 5 or 10 we saw it was. :

I spent too much of my life trying to be responsible person to worry about being on the bad person list a few times.

IN a lot of ways, the only thing you get from trying to be a "responsible person" is, you're the only one who never has a really good time.

Last edited by normhead; 06-21-2016 at 05:07 AM.
06-21-2016, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #1602
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last nights "strawberry" moon. This was handheld from the dock. I would have loved to use a tripod but the view from shore wasn't the same.

06-25-2016, 01:39 PM - 3 Likes   #1603
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3 with DA 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR

06-25-2016, 02:27 PM - 2 Likes   #1604

Crop duster was out working the cotton field across the road from my house. Grabbed the K5iis and started shooting.

06-25-2016, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #1605
Pentaxian

Taken over the last few days, DA 18-135 and K-3