Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8906 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2018, 05:44 AM   #2266
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I had to look up details of the sign in the first image, there is precious little about it other than this:
NOSTALGIA: What on earth did this mean? - The News

Across the road from it is a new / refurbished building, the second image. So I had some cropping fun for the third image
A guess, maybe chicken salad as an alternative to Deviled ham?

03-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #2267
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
A guess, maybe chicken salad as an alternative to Deviled ham?
I just followed a link in one of the comments that attributes the sign recently to Gary Stranger (without any explanation) and there is an Instagram view here before the building was pulled down:

Gary Stranger on Instagram: ?#devilsout @ilovedust ???

Still a bit odd.
03-05-2018, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #2268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Still a bit odd.
This is driving me nuts, and you know what they say about idle hands. The comment about Gary Stranger working at a local graphics design studio called ilovedust makes about as much sense as anything, especially considering this tweet from ilovedust . Good on the lads at ilovedust for designing a sign that could only be seen from a high vantage point before the adjoining building was demolished, to look like it predated the Blitz. I'm sure that having a crow with a crown on its head, a stylized Union Jack on its neck, pointing at the nearby Roman Catholic cathedral, proclaiming that the Devil's out, was considered to be quite the lark.
03-06-2018, 04:00 AM - 2 Likes   #2269
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

03-06-2018, 01:34 PM - 5 Likes   #2270
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a used DA 18-135 last month, because I was going to Hawai'i and I thought it would be perfect. I also brought the DA 21 for something small, the DA* 55/1.4 for low light and the DA 50-200 WR because there was going to be a full moon and I might want something longer than 135. My opinion is that anything longer is not that useful in Hawai'i, because you end up shooting through a lot of haze, vog, ocean spray, etc. Plus you have to lug all your stuff in carryon bags, maybe changing planes a couple of times. Anyway, the DA 18-135 was great almost all the time, except for some zoom creep and it's not quite small enough at times. Here are some examples, with full size versions on flickr:

See what I mean about spray. The owner is trying to help the dog find the stick he just threw.
IMGC0545

IMGC0462

We went to a luau and I half expected no decent photos. It was fun to see if I could adapt to low light, stage lighting, motion, focus, distance, heads in front of me and free drinks. Some shots didn't work but most were good.
IMGC0619

My favorite of the luau, handheld at 0.5 sec, 78mm:
IMGC1011

I wanted to take this shot when I read about it. It's the Halema‘uma‘u crater on the Kilauea volcano. In daytime, this is often a boring shot of steam and gases, because the actual lava is below the rim of the crater. The park is open all night, so you can stay late for shots of the lava glow reflection. This is roughly at sunset. It was raining off and on as it got darker, the lookout was crowded, and the steam and rain made each shot different. I think the DA 18-135 was ideal for all the variables. I could have switched to the DA* 55 here, but I wanted the zoom because I couldn't change my location.
IMGC1239

My wife and I were going to the beach, so I only had the 18-135, but the path went through an ancient settlement. This is a lava tube that was used for a dwelling.
IMGC1410

I read the whole thread before I bought the lens. When I was processing these shots, I thought they were oddly similar to Norm's posts: a dog with a stick, shallow water, landscape, now a canoe. Sort of Norm on the Big Island.
IMGC1109

Here's a link to the album with some other full-size shots: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmfr3BpA
03-06-2018, 01:41 PM - 3 Likes   #2271
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not so hot in here...

Name:  K3__0571.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  61.4 KB
03-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #2272
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I read the whole thread before I bought the lens.
All 2269 posts? I am impressed! Welcome to the lens club , by the way (you and Norm might be the only ones who have read every post, though).
My favorite of the luau,
A great example of the dictum to take the shot and worry about how it turns out later. Very nice.

03-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #2273
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought a used DA 18-135 last month, because I was going to Hawai'i and I thought it would be perfect.
Great series Dave and a great mini-blog. Thanks for sharing.
03-06-2018, 09:51 PM - 3 Likes   #2274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Figured I should quit yapping and post a picture. This is from last February, when I was able to afford to take a week off and go to Arizona to get away from the snow. My wife and I made an overnight trip to Tuscon to get away from the in-laws for a bit and we stayed at the Westin La Paloma. I end up with a lot of pictures taken at 21mm, but if I had that focal length in a prime, I would never use it. You never know when 18mm or 31mm or 38mm or 68mm gives you the image you want and stopping to change lenses when you are walking around after breakfast doesn't appeal to me.

03-07-2018, 01:46 AM - 2 Likes   #2275
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just took my 18-135mm off my K3 for the first time last night. It is my walk around and I love it. When I had it on the K30, generally carrying it I got some ....... can’t think of the name, ....... when the lens extends..... anyway, on my K3 it is fine because the K3 sits flush against my body and the lens is perpendicular I took this photo on Monday morning at a small local harbour called Glasson Dock
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-07-2018, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #2276
Forum Member

so you mean zoom creep?
03-08-2018, 01:30 AM   #2277
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by littlemoose Quote
so you mean zoom creep?

That's the bunny
03-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #2278

I bought a used DA 18-135 last month, because I was going to Hawai'i and I thought it would be perfect. I also brought the DA 21 for something small, the DA* 55/1.4 for low light and the DA 50-200 WR because there was going to be a full moon and I might want something longer than 135. My opinion is that anything longer is not that useful in Hawai'i, because you end up shooting through a lot of haze, vog, ocean spray, etc. Plus you have to lug all your stuff in carryon bags, maybe changing planes a couple of times. Anyway, the DA 18-135 was great almost all the time, except for some zoom creep and it's not quite small enough at times. Here are some examples, with full size versions on flickr:
I live in Hawaii, on Oahu, and the 18-135 is on my camera way more than any other lens. One situation that does call for a long lens is wintertime surf on the North Shore (the north shores of all the islands, pretty much) when the big waves are breaking quite a ways out. I've often wished a Bigma or some other great honking beast of a lens would materialize in the car on my way out there. Anyway, good choice, nice work, always a pleasure to see people enjoying our little outpost here.
03-10-2018, 07:29 AM - 3 Likes   #2279

Some accidental birding and some Waikiki stuff.

A young and not too healthy-looking cattle egret in a friend's driveway

Cattle egret

A juvenile black-crowned night heron fishing at high noon in our toxic waste dump of a scenic canal. Looks healthy, though.

Juvenile black-crowned night heron

Warning signs attracting their target audience

Warning signs find their audience

Sunset off Waikiki (popular body-boarding spot called Walls)

Sunset at Walls
03-11-2018, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #2280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
... I took this photo on Monday morning at a small local harbour called Glasson Dock
That large boat on the right needs a lot of work! But your photo shows how it was built. Look at the horizontal upper white planks and you can see how they were steam-bent around the vertical frames, causing a shadow line.