03-11-2018, 12:26 PM - 6 Likes   #2281
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Fascinated by chickens. JPG straight out of the camera:

03-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #2282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was busy calibrating lenses earlier today. Cue the 18-135mm, it needed nothing. Spot on right out of the box
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-11-2018, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #2283
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I was busy calibrating lenses earlier today. Cue the 18-135mm, it needed nothing. Spot on right out of the box
You are preaching to the converted here.
03-11-2018, 03:06 PM - 4 Likes   #2284
Pentaxian

From a few days ago, out with a few friends in the park.

River ice.

An old log chute.

03-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #2285
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Amen !!
03-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #2286
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Hallelujah
03-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #2287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexBW Quote
Fascinated by chickens. JPG straight out of the camera:
Love that pic.

03-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #2288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weldon Berger Quote
I live in Hawaii, on Oahu, and the 18-135 is on my camera way more than any other lens. One situation that does call for a long lens is wintertime surf on the North Shore (the north shores of all the islands, pretty much) when the big waves are breaking quite a ways out. I've often wished a Bigma or some other great honking beast of a lens would materialize in the car on my way out there. Anyway, good choice, nice work, always a pleasure to see people enjoying our little outpost here.
I used to see surfer shots from Mark Dimo on dpreview. He sometimes solved that long lens problem by swimming out there with a waterproof housing and used a DA 10-17 instead. Anyway, I guess if you follow my advice too closely, you'd miss out on birds too. Hawai'i has a lot of unusual birds.

I need to process some of my Pololu Valley shots (like the one with the dog as black and white, because the black sand beach makes them halfway there already.
03-12-2018, 10:47 AM - 3 Likes   #2289

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I used to see surfer shots from Mark Dimo on dpreview. He sometimes solved that long lens problem by swimming out there with a waterproof housing and used a DA 10-17 instead.
I love the closeup shots people get out in the water, but there are those occasions when swimming or paddling out just isn't an option . Somewhere amid the impending carnage here, I think 4th from the right, is 11-time world champion Kelly Slater. I shot this with a 400mm generic manual focus lens, and you can see how a longer lens like the Sigma zooms or the new Pentax long zoom released for the K-1 would come in handy on what was a very but not uniquely big day. I was down on the shore, and most of the shooters were on higher ground 25 yards or further back from my position. I'm not a birder except for the occasional moment when one perches near me, but yeah, a lot of exotics here including many imports. We have fairly large flocks of green parrots consisting of escapees and their descendants, for instance, and I caught an image of what I later learned was a white-rumped shama, either an escapee or progeny, when it landed on a branch about 10 feet away from my 100mm f/2.8 WR and obligingly sat there for a bit.

Anyway, looking forward to your other Big Island shots. I don't get over there often. The black sand beaches are great, we don't have any here.

30 feet plus at Waimea Bay

White-rumped shama
03-12-2018, 03:24 PM - 3 Likes   #2290
Veteran Member

A Killer Lens!

Of all the 30-something lenses I own, I think the Pentax-DA 18-135mm WR lens is probably the most useful of them all. I even use it for close-ups of lenses and cameras I occasionally post on the market place even though I have other lenses that might be more appropriate. I remarkable lens and worth every penny I paid. Pentax really hit a home run on this one!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
03-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #2291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

8 days until spring and this is what I see from my deck.

At a focal length sweet spot of 21mm:

At the "soft" end, taken at 100mm:

03-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #2292
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
8 days until spring and this is what I see from my deck.

At a focal length sweet spot of 21mm:

At the "soft" end, taken at 100mm:
I honestly would have expected Sakatoon to have a lot more snow.
03-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #2293
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I honestly would have expected Sakatoon to have a lot more snow.
On average for the past 7000 years or so, Saskatoon has been in a semi-arid zone. There was melting in December and February (followed by snow before the temperatures dropped again), but this is still above average snowpack for any of the winter months. In early April of 1990, I drove through a dust storm west of Moose Jaw one day and when I woke up the next morning in Melfort, there was 6 inches of snow on my car. I don't know if you get as much snow as those on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River, but I used to work with someone who had to shovel out his living room and kitchen windows.
03-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #2294
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
On average for the past 7000 years or so, Saskatoon has been in a semi-arid zone. There was melting in December and February (followed by snow before the temperatures dropped again), but this is still above average snowpack for any of the winter months. In early April of 1990, I drove through a dust storm west of Moose Jaw one day and when I woke up the next morning in Melfort, there was 6 inches of snow on my car. I don't know if you get as much snow as those on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River, but I used to work with someone who had to shovel out his living room and kitchen windows.
I've never seen as much snow as the Ottawa valley. The year I moved to Perth Ontario in maybe 1972, the snow banks were so high you could touch the hydro wires if you climbed to the top of them. We once had 30 inches of snow fall in two days. I think the Buffalo area might get more than that, but I haven't seen it except on the news.

We are on the lee side of the park, snow gets dumped on the West side. We get half what they get. Right now we have maybe 6 inches on the ground.
03-14-2018, 08:17 PM - 2 Likes   #2295
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weldon Berger Quote
... Anyway, looking forward to your other Big Island shots. I don't get over there often. The black sand beaches are great, we don't have any here.
Those interisland flights, wow. I can fly to Connecticut for what Hawaiian would charge to get to Kona.

I don't have too many more shots that are good enough to post, but here's a few.