Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8905 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2018, 12:30 AM - 4 Likes   #2296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Local photography club competition theme is "Windows". I got these images yesterday:

That's me at bottom right.

03-16-2018, 07:39 PM - 4 Likes   #2297

Finally got a good shot of a hummingbird!

Well, I suppose "good" is arguable. And it's not a real hummingbird. A neighbor round the block is married to a woman who owns an antiques/collectibles/whatever shop, and he puts the overstock to good use. These were all shot wide open, and the lens delivered the foreground admirably. Obviously did some processing which brought the backgrounds down when I did the b&w conversions, but the bokeh was pronounced out of the camera. It's just a great, liberating walk-around lens.

Eternally mute hummingbird

Shots from a neighbour's yard

A spokes person

Silence of the fawns

03-17-2018, 01:58 PM - 11 Likes   #2298
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
South Gippsland sunrise. (X-posted from sunrise thread.)

03-18-2018, 06:50 AM - 3 Likes   #2299
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

03-18-2018, 08:30 AM - 5 Likes   #2300
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
With lots of tourists around this week for Spring Break, I was afraid these guys might be getting in over their heads yesterday. This is a line called Angle Gully on The Headwall at Crested Butte and it's not in the kind of shape I would ski it in this year but that didn't stop this group. No casualties!
K-3 & 18-135
03-21-2018, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #2301
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K70 & DA 18-135 f3.5-5.6 WR
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
03-26-2018, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #2302
Pentaxian

Finally, a halfway decent day to get out and shoot something...anything!

Steelhead trout fishing in the Rocky River, Cleveland Metroparks

03-26-2018, 12:44 PM - 5 Likes   #2303
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-3 & 18-135
03-26-2018, 03:40 PM - 7 Likes   #2304
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Eastern Yellow Robin (K-S2 + DA 18-135)

03-27-2018, 02:32 PM - 8 Likes   #2305
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dragonfly (x-posted from insects thread). I think it's a Unicorn Darner (Austroaeschna unicornis). K-S2 + DA 18-135.

03-30-2018, 03:38 PM - 4 Likes   #2306
Veteran Member

Here's what MY copy of the Pentax-DA 18-135mm WR will do!

The first photo was taken standing at the bottom of the tree while my friend, Dave retrieved his falcon. It was shot at full 135mm. The second was the same image, only severely cropped. I was amazed at the sharpness after cropping!

I've read some pretty dreadful reviews of this lens.... but, I'm not sure what else a person could want! Did I just happen to get an exceptional copy.... or are most all of them this good?

I think these images speak for themselves. I'm one of those "deplorables" who is perhaps concerned with sharpness more than I should be.... but I don't give a hoot what Henri Cartier-Bresson has to say on the subject. Every time I read that quote, I chuckle. Bourgeois, indeed!

I LOVE being able to count Dave's chin hairs.... all the way from the bottom of the tree! Sure, I know it's not an award-winner, and it's NOT a wall hanger, but.... it you want to know what the SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm WR lens will do.... here's a good example!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
03-30-2018, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #2307

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
The first photo was taken standing at the bottom of the tree while my friend, Dave retrieved his falcon. It was shot at full 135mm. The second was the same image, only severely cropped. I was amazed at the sharpness after cropping!
Really good example of the lens. It's my favorite walking-around lens. Great range, weather-resistant and when used under the right conditions, really good image quality. And I've got good stuff from it under considerably less than ideal conditions--night shots, concert lighting and the like.

Words I never expected to see in the forums: "while my friend Dave retrieved his falcon."
03-30-2018, 05:14 PM - 4 Likes   #2308
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Finnegan

03-30-2018, 09:00 PM - 5 Likes   #2309
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
The first photo was taken standing at the bottom of the tree while my friend, Dave retrieved his falcon. It was shot at full 135mm. The second was the same image, only severely cropped. I was amazed at the sharpness after cropping! I've read some pretty dreadful reviews of this lens.... but, I'm not sure what else a person could want! Did I just happen to get an exceptional copy.... or are most all of them this good?
Great image Dewman. Hey, I'd like to see more shots of the falcon too if you got some.

I'm with you about the value of the extra reach over the xx-50, xx-70 and xx-80/85 zooms. Saves a lot of lens changes or very heavy cropping. In the 24 years I spent lugging 28-85 and 70-210 zooms with my old film SLR, I missed countless shots by having the wrong lens on. If someone had said, "how would you like a single lens that gives you the same range of FOV and better IQ for only 450 grams, a cost per shot of close to zero, and the capacity to provide images fit for publication?", I would have thought it was a dream.

Our resident pair of Grey Shrike-Thrush fledged four chicks this year. Here's a couple of shots of the chicks. The little wing movement you can see in the second one is the chick fluttering as it begs for food (successfully in this instance).

03-31-2018, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #2310
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Great image Dewman. Hey, I'd like to see more shots of the falcon too if you got some.

I'm with you about the value of the extra reach over the xx-50, xx-70 and xx-80/85 zooms. Saves a lot of lens changes or very heavy cropping. In the 24 years I spent lugging 28-85 and 70-210 zooms with my old film SLR, I missed countless shots by having the wrong lens on. If someone had said, "how would you like a single lens that gives you the same range of FOV and better IQ for only 450 grams, a cost per shot of close to zero, and the capacity to provide images fit for publication?", I would have thought it was a dream.

Our resident pair of Grey Shrike-Thrush fledged four chicks this year. Here's a couple of shots of the chicks. The little wing movement you can see in the second one is the chick fluttering as it begs for food (successfully in this instance).

Very nice shots of the Shrike-Thrush. I really like the sharpness and detail of the feathers. Another fine example of the 18-135mm lens' capability!

Yes, Des.... I have a whole series of photos I shot during the afternoon I spent with Dave and his little falcon. He also has a one-winged Eagle Owl named Angus! He's quite a bird, to say the least! If you look at "My Photos," there are five more photos of Dave's birds. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/49346-dewman/albums/12379-dewman-s-photos/ Thanks for your interest.

Dewman,
Nampa, Idaho, USA.

Last edited by Dewman; 03-31-2018 at 05:46 AM.