Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2019, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #2806
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Lots of cropping to remove vignetting Rob?
Yes, I did not set it to crop on the K1

03-25-2019, 05:55 AM   #2807
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KoolKool Quote
I may feel over-confident, or maybe i think i'm idiot myself, yeah, i tried to impress some hot chicks in the beach, so i paid a price.....
but i guess my case could be "18-135 can't do"

K70+18-135 against beach water on sand ground, a small tide suddenly slapped both 2!

so how the result after?

+ The K70 body survive wonderfully, but some sands made shutter button stucks, i have fixed that by pouring water to make sand out, the shutter button live again!
+ The 18-135 survive, seem like there is no dust, water come inside, wow really? but what are the bad things?

* AF stopped working, only MF
* Aperture jumping around 3.5-4 at 18mm, confuse exposure metering, smaller F cause overexposure
* Can't switch live view, if i do so, the camera automatically switch for to VF mode, but movie mode is fine, but unable to enter menu settings, oop!

i tried attach other len, everything worked normal, so i knew 18-135 really broken now!

please guy, don't ever try that!
Salt water is terribly corrosive. Zooming can migrate see spray or spashed water inside. Fresh water might not be an issue. Check the lens contacts (maybe remove the mount to inspect inside. Be careful of the pins and springs.

Did the camera drop? Sudden fall and subsequent deceleration can break connections and small pc boards inside the lens.

So sorry this happened.
03-25-2019, 12:08 PM - 7 Likes   #2808
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some pics from a local fun costumed uphill/downhill Telemark ski race yesterday. Not a good day for skimpy costumes!
K-3 & 18-135

03-25-2019, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #2809
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I may feel over-confident, or maybe i think i'm idiot myself, yeah, i tried to impress some hot chicks in the beach, so i paid a price.....
Ooh that's painful. Were the girls impressed?

If the AF and aperture control isn't working properly with the 18-135 there must be a problem with the contacts. As for the camera, even if it's working OK with other lenses, I'd send it both camera and lens to a repair centre for a strip down and clean.

03-25-2019, 02:06 PM - 4 Likes   #2810
Pentaxian

Taken hand held from rubber duck at 135mm and cropped as well. Good for wildlife as well. I will carry on singing this lens's versatility. And it was cold and wet

---------- Post added 03-25-19 at 11:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
I wondered if the wide end might work well for stacking stars, particularly the Milky Way... nice to see someone using it for that!
If you stack it should work just fine. I will be curious to see the effect. I usually use my old manual focus 50mm F2 for nights, since he focus stays a problem, but in our winter will hopefully go outside and then try
03-25-2019, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #2811
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Salt water is terribly corrosive. Zooming can migrate see spray or spashed water inside. Fresh water might not be an issue. Check the lens contacts (maybe remove the mount to inspect inside. Be careful of the pins and springs.

Did the camera drop? Sudden fall and subsequent deceleration can break connections and small pc boards inside the lens.

So sorry this happened.
Ooh that's painful. Were the girls impressed?

If the AF and aperture control isn't working properly with the 18-135 there must be a problem with the contacts. As for the camera, even if it's working OK with other lenses, I'd send it both camera and lens to a repair centre for a strip down and clean.
thank you!
---i didn't drop, the girl impressed and we had good night time at dance club bar!---

i have send the len to repair center, worst case is replace mainboard and focus motor - as the technician make a guess through the story i tell, lol! (just pray it's not)
03-26-2019, 12:58 AM   #2812
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
Taken hand held from rubber duck at 135mm and cropped as well. Good for wildlife as well. I will carry on singing this lens's versatility. And it was cold and wet
Another of your excellent images Basie. 135mm is really handy isn't it? You did really well to get such a sharp image from a moving boat at 1/250th.

i have send the len to repair center, worst case is replace mainboard and focus motor - as the technician make a guess through the story i tell, lol! (just pray it's not)
I think it's wise to get it checked. Good luck.

03-26-2019, 05:03 AM   #2813
Pentaxian

Another of your excellent images Basie. 135mm is really handy isn't it? You did really well to get such a sharp image from a moving boat at 1/250th.
Thanks Des. It helps to be lucky as well!
03-28-2019, 10:39 PM - 7 Likes   #2814
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An experiment in "low key" photography with my local super model, "Misha", my K3 ii hand held, and a relatively cheap Yongnuo YN585EX flash on my camera tripod. Triggered with a cheap set of FM triggers I picked up on Amazon (cross posted with the "low key" thread I just started). This is shot in my living room, early afternoon today, on a bright, sunny day, full of ambient light. Without the flash this photo would be underexposed to inky blackness. (M)anual mode and an OCF does the magic:

03-30-2019, 10:26 AM - 6 Likes   #2815
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless I am birding or shooting for bokeh, the 18-135 rarely leaves my camera these days.

03-31-2019, 09:38 AM - 9 Likes   #2816
Pentaxian

Railway line in Namib. It has been built and decommissioned several times. That is why it is so rusty. The station building is Garub, now desolate and even with some graffiti
03-31-2019, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #2817
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Railway line in Namib. It has been built and decommissioned several times. That is why it is so rusty. The station building is Garub, now desolate and even with some graffiti
Simple but very effective.
04-01-2019, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #2818
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Simple but very effective
The railway, building, photo or me?
04-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #2819
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The railway, building, photo or me?
The composition and the photo. You? Well, I don't know you that well.
04-02-2019, 12:11 PM - 10 Likes   #2820
Veteran Member

Love my 18-135mm!

I fell for this lens from the very beginning and the love affair continues. This is an image of my friend Dave's Ferruginous Hawk taken with the lens.

Last edited by Dewman; 01-28-2020 at 01:31 PM.