We should start a club! Portwenn Pentaxians

Fun in the sun at Ventura Harbor, Calif. DA18-135 on K10D:
03-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #3229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
We should start a club! Portwenn Pentaxians
Include me in. I am another Doc Martin fan. Did you notice in nicolpa's Flickr album that there was one image that included Dr. Ellingham's house with someone standing at the front door?
A belated thank you to nicolpa for that album of very interesting images of Port Isaac/Portwenn.

03-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #3230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Did you notice in nicolpa's Flickr album that there was one image that included Dr. Ellingham's house with someone standing at the front door?
A belated thank you to nicolpa for that album of very interesting images of Port Isaac/Portwenn.
Thanks for reminding me to look at those photos, Ray - and thanks Colin for posting! Very nice indeed, and someplace I'd love to visit someday. I actually caught myself looking for some of the show's characters wandering about town!
03-01-2020, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #3231
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks guys, I'm pleased you found the album interesting. You have made me look back at the images I have. Our first visit to Port Isaac in the digital era was back in 2005, when I was in my "off period" for photography. All we had was a point and shoot camera, Linda's effectively. We walked around, took quite few photos but, on later reviewing them, we'd obviously managed to get sun tan oil or such like on the lens. Everything was viewed through a soft focus filter!!

It was 2016 before we returned, and I had bought K30/K50. The images in the album are from this visit, and you've made me realise there are quite a few more to add. They're not works of art, and my photography has improved no end since 2016, but I'll try to get some more posted before too long - and I think we're due another visit.
03-04-2020, 04:13 AM - 7 Likes   #3232

After running errands, l had time to try out my newly acquired gear and stopped at the park. l can't judge the 18-135's performance on this outing because the lighting was very poor. l started shooting about 15 minutes before sunset and the overcast was very thick. So far i'm impressed considering the light l had to work with. On the last image, it was getting dark so l popped up the flash.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-04-2020, 12:11 PM - 2 Likes   #3233
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
Thanks you Paul. Yes, Doc Martin is filmed at Port Isaac which is in what I know as North Cornwall - so about an hour's drive from Cape Cornwall. I have an album of photos taken at Port Isaac on Flickr. Much closer is Botallack, site for much of the filming of Poldark, both the 1970s version and the 2014 - 2019 version. Again, albums on my Flickr pages.
I like Doc Martin too. Well done and just quirky enough. Not quite Northern Exposure, but still very good. As to Poldark, I have a sneaking suspicion my wife wants to run off with Poldark.

FWIW I think Aiden Turner would make a great James Bond.
03-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #3234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I like Doc Martin too. Well done and just quirky enough
Exactly!

View of the Topatopa Mtns at sunset. DA18-135 on K10D:
03-08-2020, 02:29 PM - 2 Likes   #3235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nclude me in. I am another Doc Martin fan. Did you notice in nicolpa's Flickr album that there was one image that included Dr. Ellingham's house with someone standing at the front door?
Yes I saw that, (probably Al come to see Morwena), it would make a good holiday to include a visit to that town, they must get stacks of visitors.
03-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #3236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ventura Harbor, Ventura Calif. last August. DA18-135 on K10D:
03-09-2020, 09:04 AM - 4 Likes   #3237
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sunset skiing (Xposted):
03-11-2020, 09:49 PM - 3 Likes   #3238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found this interesting concept in an inner-Sydney suburb. It requires a level of trust but it appears to be working. Taken with a K-3.

03-11-2020, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #3239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found this interesting concept in an inner-Sydney suburb. It requires a level of trust but it appears to be working.
That is a fantastic concept, need more of it, with fruit and veg as well
03-11-2020, 11:52 PM - 1 Like   #3240

l did some testing to see what reproduction ratios l could get with the lens and the Nikon 6T 2.9 diopter close up lens. According to specs, the lens can reach .24x on it's own. At 135mm, l'm getting about .4x. Focus breathing at 135mm is pretty bad. ln fact, i'm getting about the same magnification regardless where the focus is set. The 3 pics show min focus, midway, and infinity focus with the 6T mounted. The only thing that changes is the working distance-the closer the focus, the less working distance there is. lf there was no focus breathing, the reproduction ratio would get larger as the focus got closer.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo