Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Wet roads always look good.
Agreed! Thanks Ray.

Dusk at Mugu Beach, Calif. DA18-135 on K10D:

08-09-2020, 12:24 PM - 7 Likes   #3362
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Some dragonflies. I couldn't tell you which kind though...

K-3 II + DA 18-135 at 135 mm. The green one is a crop.

08-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #3363

Hi
I recently purchased this lens and had to exchange because there was an issue with the first. What I noticed was the box looked different for second lens that I received. One had the Pentax logo in red with a "2 years warranty" sticker on it while the other is white with no warranty sticker. I am trying to find out if there is a difference between the two. Physically they looked the same but I am curious now, why the colors of the Pentax logo are different? Any ideas?

Thank you

=TJ
08-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #3364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aure45 Quote

All the way to 135mm max! This is indeed an amazing lens with incredible versatility and capable of very fine quality. All that in a well-built WR body that is compact as well!

---------- Post added 08-10-20 at 01:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by astroTJ Quote
Hi
I recently purchased this lens and had to exchange because there was an issue with the first. What I noticed was the box looked different for second lens that I received. One had the Pentax logo in red with a "2 years warranty" sticker on it while the other is white with no warranty sticker. I am trying to find out if there is a difference between the two. Physically they looked the same but I am curious now, why the colors of the Pentax logo are different? Any ideas?

Thank you

=TJ
Hmm- to the moderators, this would seem better switched to the lens section with a DA 18-135mm title for the thread.

I would be suspicious regarding this purchase. Who is the seller? Is it possible to post a photo of the box?

And welcome to the forum!

08-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #3365

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Hmm- to the moderators, this would seem better switched to the lens section with a DA 18-135mm title for the thread.
My apologies. Still getting used to the forum. Here is the picture for the box with red Pentax logo. The other box had a white logo without the warranty sticker.

I bought it from London drugs here in Canada who sell a lot of photography accessories and are a reputable store.

08-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #3366
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 18-135 was/is offered as a "kit lens" with some camera bodies. I'm guessing the "white logo" box contained a "kit lens" ? The lenses themselves should be identical.
08-10-2020, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #3367

Actually, they are not technically Dragonflies, those are from a family called Broadwings. The they are both Ebony Jewel wings. The first one is a female, the second a male. The local (Colorado) Odenata Facebook page was buzzing when my girlfriend found some in a small creek near our town, I've tried to make a video of them flying with my K3, but it didn't turn out very well do to hand-held shakiness. Nice pics!

08-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #3368

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
The 18-135 was/is offered as a "kit lens" with some camera bodies. I'm guessing the "white logo" box contained a "kit lens" ? The lenses themselves should be identical.
I think you maybe right. Maybe the box with red logo was before it was packaged together as a kit. This would explain the 2 years warranty sticker.

If that's true, this implies that the lens I had was perhaps "newer" from a production point of view than the red logo one I have in possession now. I wonder how that translates from a quality of workmanship point of view.
08-10-2020, 08:21 PM   #3369
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by astroTJ Quote
If that's true, this implies that the lens I had was perhaps "newer" from a production point of view than the red logo one I have in possession now. I wonder how that translates from a quality of workmanship point of view.
If you know the serial numbers of both lenses, you can determine which was manufactured first. Quality of workmanship seems to be consistent throughout the lifetime of this lens (it has been in production for about 10 years), while it doesn't have the same fit and finish as the LImited or * labelled lenses, it doesn't suffer from an unusally high defect rate either. Neither is there any indication that manufacturing standards were lowered for the "kit lens" version, just the packaging.
08-11-2020, 02:09 AM   #3370
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
All the way to 135mm max! This is indeed an amazing lens with incredible versatility and capable of very fine quality. All that in a well-built WR body that is compact as well!
Exactly! And as I don't do large prints, the numerous pixels of the K-3 II allows me to crop if 135 mm is not enough

QuoteOriginally posted by SciFiGuy Quote
Actually, they are not technically Dragonflies, those are from a family called Broadwings. The they are both Ebony Jewel wings. The first one is a female, the second a male. The local (Colorado) Odenata Facebook page was buzzing when my girlfriend found some in a small creek near our town, I've tried to make a video of them flying with my K3, but it didn't turn out very well do to hand-held shakiness. Nice pics!
Thank you for this clarification! I live in France and I often see some around ponds or rivers.
08-11-2020, 08:19 AM   #3371

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
If you know the serial numbers of both lenses, you can determine which was manufactured first. Quality of workmanship seems to be consistent throughout the lifetime of this lens (it has been in production for about 10 years), while it doesn't have the same fit and finish as the LImited or * labelled lenses, it doesn't suffer from an unusally high defect rate either. Neither is there any indication that manufacturing standards were lowered for the "kit lens" version, just the packaging.
Thank you! I'll keep the red labelled box then. I'll come back later to post some pics to keep it relevant to this thread.

Thank you to all for their input.
08-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #3372
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have a picture of the other box? The kit 18-135 I had was packaged in my camera body box and not separate at all. Ricoh changed packaging to silver and great boxes quite some time ago, but new old stock shouldn't be any worse than newer ones.
08-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #3373
Pentaxian

Great shot. Is there anything this lens cannot do? But here it is not only the lens
08-14-2020, 11:23 AM - 4 Likes   #3374
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are a couple of older pictures of mine, it's a useful lens with pleasing results.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
08-15-2020, 07:44 AM - 3 Likes   #3375
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From a civil war reenactment.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF