Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2021, 09:27 AM - 2 Likes   #3676
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
There have only been 20 reviews in the last 4 years, most of which are very short, so I thought it was due for a more detailed one
Perhaps the 111 reviews in the 6 years before that convinced most people who recently acquired one to not bother. For the record, I acquired mine in 2013 and didn't post a review until 2016; my review is not as in depth as yours (excellent job, by the way) but I did post two pictures with my review from opposite ends of the zoom range. This lens has been around for over a decade now, it was the first Pentax lens with a fast, silent and reliable in-lens AF motor and it has stood the test of time extremely well.

01-17-2021, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #3677
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Perhaps the 111 reviews in the 6 years before that convinced most people who recently acquired one to not bother.
No doubt. But I think it is still worth posting fresh reviews. Things change. Many (most?) of us now use 24mp sensors. Cameras have better high-ISO performance (which reduces the disadvantage of slow-aperture lenses). Software has improved and in-camera corrections for distortion and vignetting are more common. Alternative wide-normal WR zooms like the DA 16-85 and the DA 20-40 Limited have become more affordable and available secondhand. Lenses like the DFA 28-105 and DA 55-300 PLM have raised the bar for affordable zooms. There is a wider range of viable options for a compact and versatile kit.
This lens has been around for over a decade now, it was the first Pentax lens with a fast, silent and reliable in-lens AF motor and it has stood the test of time extremely well.
I agree that it has proven to be robust and reliable, although I think in some respects the optical performance is shown up by other more recent zooms.
For the record, I acquired mine in 2013 and didn't post a review until 2016; my review is not as in depth as yours (excellent job, by the way) but I did post two pictures with my review from opposite ends of the zoom range.
Thanks. Yours was a good review. We have similar views about the lens.
01-17-2021, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #3678
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From a November day on the trails - 18-135 on K10D:

01-17-2021, 11:20 PM - 8 Likes   #3679
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
More skating. Trying to get it while it's good and right now it's really good!

01-18-2021, 11:02 AM - 11 Likes   #3680
Pentaxian

Smeaton's Pier at St. Ives, Cornwall, with Godrevy Island and Lighthouse in the distance

01-19-2021, 01:11 AM   #3681
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Wow, that looks like great quality black ice. That must be some excellent skating. Oh, did I mention that the picture is great as well?
01-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #3682
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Wow, that looks like great quality black ice. That must be some excellent skating. Oh, did I mention that the picture is great as well?
Thanks and yes, it was really fine skating. I skated over 20 miles a day both Saturday and Sunday.
Then I went out twice yesterday on a closer piece but then it snowed a little last night so the ice is done for now and probably the rest of this season.
Glorious while it lasted!

01-19-2021, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #3683
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From post #3520:

I have finally got around to doing a review: SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database There have only been 20 reviews in the last 4 years, most of which are very short, so I thought it was due for a more detailed one. Many of the reviews are rather strident, one way or the other. I was trying to be balanced.

I'm glad you prompted me Hans.
Outstanding review, Des! You set the bar quite high for any subsequent reviews... you have a knack for it! 20-40 next? 55-300 PLM?

---------- Post added 01-19-21 at 10:27 PM ----------

That ice looks paper thin! I grew up in N. Minnesota, where lake ice can support semi trucks and even houses being moved, but I've never seen ice that *looked* that thin before up there. Nice shot!
01-19-2021, 10:33 PM   #3684
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
Outstanding review, Des! You set the bar quite high for any subsequent reviews... you have a knack for it! 20-40 next? 55-300 PLM?
Thanks very much. I might give the reviewing a rest for a while now!
Enjoying this series Matt. It's dramatic and spectacular. It seems far removed not only from our high summer (as now) but even from the depths of our winter!
01-19-2021, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #3685
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
That ice looks paper thin! I grew up in N. Minnesota, where lake ice can support semi trucks and even houses being moved, but I've never seen ice that *looked* that thin before up there. Nice shot!
Thanks! I grew up in Michigan so I know what you are talking about! This ice is thicker than it looks. It is so clear that you can only see how thick it is around a crack. This was 6-8" but we skate down to about 2" sometimes. The structure of the ice helps it stay together and not break up even when it is cracked. We also wear life jackets and carry picks, just in case!

Enjoying this series Matt. It's dramatic and spectacular. It seems far removed not only from our high summer (as now) but even from the depths of our winter!
Thanks! I love it out there. I don't think many get to see this in person so I like to share the magic.
01-22-2021, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #3686
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got out in the snow with a diffused flash and took photos of the native plantings in the yard while they were snow-topped. And of course the dogs, without the flash most of the time. All the shots in this album SO FAR are with the 18-135. That will change later, of course.

01-23-2021, 03:11 AM   #3687
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Got out in the snow with a diffused flash and took photos of the native plantings in the yard while they were snow-topped. And of course the dogs, without the flash most of the time. All the shots in this album SO FAR are with the 18-135. That will change later, of course.

Nice shots. Love the one of the spider lurking in the plant. (think it was a spider anyway).
If I am going out with just one lens, the 18-135 is it.
01-23-2021, 11:16 AM - 4 Likes   #3688
Pentaxian

"Tropical St. Ives" - could be a scene from the tropics, but it's actually Porthmeor Beach, St. Ives, Cornwall

"After the Rain" - across the fields just off Green Lane, Maghull, Liverpool

01-23-2021, 02:39 PM   #3689
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
"Tropical St. Ives" - could be a scene from the tropics, but it's actually Porthmeor Beach, St. Ives, Cornwall
Vey nice, you manage to get great colours out of that lens, give it good light and it can properly pops the scene.
01-23-2021, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #3690
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Vey nice, you manage to get great colours out of that lens, give it good light and it can properly pops the scene.
Thank you. Also, generally with minimal processing, but I do use a polarising filter most of the time. I have the camera set on "vibrant" for jpegs as this seems to best reflect how I see colours. I shoot RAW+ so if I need to make greater adjustments I can work with the RAW file.