Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 161
2008 Zeiss 50/2 PK, or not?

Pentax K mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the link you will find a Zeiss 50/2 PK mount. I do not mean the macro 50/2, but the one before in the list.

Anyone ever see this lens? I can't find anything about it and wonder if it is a mistake in this list?

03-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
Pentax K mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the link you will find a Zeiss 50/2 PK mount. I do not mean the macro 50/2, but the one before in the list.

Anyone ever see this lens? I can't find anything about it and wonder if it is a mistake in this list?
it is a mistake. the only Zeiss 50mm f2 Z series is the makro-planar. the standard 50 was only ever released with a 1,4 aperture.
03-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,102
An alternative is the Contax Carl Zeiss 50mm Planar either f1.7 or f1.4 in the C/Y mount. You can convert the mount to PK via Leitax.com (note - Carl Zeiss owns the Contax brand.)Also, you will want the MM version of the C/Y mount and not the AE version.

Here is some additional information that may be useful....
03-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
An alternative is the Contax Carl Zeiss 50mm Planar either f1.7 or f1.4 in the C/Y mount. You can convert the mount to PK via Leitax.com (note - Carl Zeiss owns the Contax brand.)Also, you will want the MM version of the C/Y mount and not the AE version.

a cheaper alternative to the same great optics, but you do give up the ability to use the lens in 'A' mode. just a thought. I've always wanted to try my hand at one of those leitax conversions.

03-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,526
On the topic of alternatives...
the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 is a great alternative - available in K-mount the VL 58 mm is very well liked by many Pentaxians for its IQ
Food for thoughts...
03-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 161
Original Poster
Thanks!

Yes, I was afraid it was a mistake in Wikipedia.

Leitax, though they do excellent work, is not an alternative for me. I can't get used to losing the open aperture metering

Given the fact that I prefer smaller and lighter lenses, I think my alternatives are the Pentax 50/2 or 50/1.7. Which are both fine lenses.

I had the first version Voigtlander 40mm, but I found it having too much contrast.
03-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,102
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
a cheaper alternative to the same great optics, but you do give up the ability to use the lens in 'A' mode. just a thought. I've always wanted to try my hand at one of those leitax conversions.
Yes, that is the downside as it is essentially a K or M lens. I just happened to see the same lens with a M42 mount on it for sale down in the Marketplace (is is not a posting of mine). There are a number of very high quality alternatives available....

03-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 161
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
a cheaper alternative to the same great optics, but you do give up the ability to use the lens in 'A' mode. just a thought. I've always wanted to try my hand at one of those leitax conversions.
For a long time, maybe 25 years, I used OM4Ti and the 40/2 Zuiko. This is one of my favorite lenses, small and light, and b/w prints of 50X60cm (20X24) are simply fine. Then I switched to LX because the OM4's I had gave me too many electronic problems. Leitax converted my Zuiko 40mm to PK mount, did a beautiful job.

But I lost the open aperture metering. Working with cameras like LX and OM4Ti is a lot about being fast. The conversion slowed me down and I never got used to it. So I brought back the Zuiko to the OM mount, and am using it on a OM1.

The Pentax lens that seems to get closest to the contrast and kind of sharpness of the Zuiko 40mm and also some Summicrons 50/2, is the old 58mm f2 Takumar. Very beautiful. But no open aperture metering. And I will use a 40mm more than a 58mm.

All in all, a lot of words to say I am still searching . . .

03-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
For a long time, maybe 25 years, I used OM4Ti and the 40/2 Zuiko. This is one of my favorite lenses, small and light, and b/w prints of 50X60cm (20X24) are simply fine. Then I switched to LX because the OM4's I had gave me too many electronic problems. Leitax converted my Zuiko 40mm to PK mount, did a beautiful job.

But I lost the open aperture metering. Working with cameras like LX and OM4Ti is a lot about being fast. The conversion slowed me down and I never got used to it. So I brought back the Zuiko to the OM mount, and am using it on a OM1.

The Pentax lens that seems to get closest to the contrast and kind of sharpness of the Zuiko 40mm and also some Summicrons 50/2, is the old 58mm f2 Takumar. Very beautiful. But no open aperture metering. And I will use a 40mm more than a 58mm.

All in all, a lot of words to say I am still searching . . .

why is it that you were looking at the Zeiss? do you like the way the Planar renders? if they had made an f2 version it would essentially be the same as the 1,4. they would just use the age old trick of putting a ring that limits the aperture opening to f2, but the lens would still otherwise be the same as the 1,4 and likely the price knowing Zeiss.

I have this lens in m42 mount and love it, but it certainly doesn't render like an old takumar 58, because the 58 was the one and only Sonnar type lens Asahi Opt. produced. a bit of a rare bird. and a planar and a sonnar are very different lenses. the average price for the ZK 50mm is pretty high since Zeiss hasn't produced them since sometime in 2010, and finding them for sale is difficult. but the truth is, that Zeiss north America likely has them in stock at their own warehouse. when I bought my m42 version, Adorama said they had no more and hadn't taken delivery for a while of new stock. when I had to send mine back, Zeiss told me they had plenty in stock for an exchange. strange. either way, finding now will be difficult and likely more pricey than its worth.

my advice, honestly, though you may not want to hear it, is to give up trying to find a proper replacement for your zuiko to use on kmount. you will just never find it. thats the thing with lenses, they are all unique, and I think you are on a bit of a wild goose chase. there are plenty of amazing normal lenses in pentax land that offer full compatibility with the camera, you just have to be willing to change and give them a shot. I know how you feel though, as I believe some of my best work has been done with the Takumar 55 f2, but using that lens on an SV or Spotmatic is tedious enough, using it on digital to get the same wonderful results is just way too slow, so I just had to force myself to give it up, as I knew id never find a real replacement, even if other lenses had the same optical formula.

Last edited by séamuis; 03-23-2012 at 05:59 AM.
03-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 161
Original Poster
Thanks Séamuis (Seamouse in Dutch ) I think you are quite right when you say I won't find an equivalent to the Zuiko 40/2. That's ok, I love using my OM1 with that lens. Beautiful small combination.

And for the LX I just use what feels best. Now that is the simplest of all, the Pentax 50/2 . . .

I got interested in that Zeiss lens because of the 50/2 possibility, as you have gathered I have a weak spot for these smaller, lighter standard lenses.
03-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
Thanks Séamuis (Seamouse in Dutch ) I think you are quite right when you say I won't find an equivalent to the Zuiko 40/2. That's ok, I love using my OM1 with that lens. Beautiful small combination.

And for the LX I just use what feels best. Now that is the simplest of all, the Pentax 50/2 . . .

I got interested in that Zeiss lens because of the 50/2 possibility, as you have gathered I have a weak spot for these smaller, lighter standard lenses.
well in all honesty, there is nothing small or light about the zeiss. I own the m42 version and it dwarfs even the takumar 50 1.4, by a large margin. so I can imagine the Kmount version would be somewhat bigger and heaver than that even at f2. in fact, one of the reasons I bought the zeiss was because it was larger and I felt gave better balance on my SV. as I've stated, if there had been an f2 version it would likely just have been the same as the 1,4 just with a limited aperture. Zeiss doesn't build these, they are built by cosina, and the designs are very closely related to the voigtlander SLR lenses. big and heavy.

here is a size quick comparison between my Zeiss 1,4 (m42) and my favourite Auto-Takumar 55 f2 (which is only marginally larger than the early presets):




03-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 161
Original Poster
Mammamia, that is large ! I think your Takumar would be the same size as my 58/2 Takumar. Which is just some smaller than the M 50/2. Or the Zuiko 40/2.

I guess I was hoping the 'not existing' Zeiss 50/2 would be about the same. . .
03-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
Mammamia, that is large ! I think your Takumar would be the same size as my 58/2 Takumar. Which is just some smaller than the M 50/2. Or the Zuiko 40/2.

I guess I was hoping the 'not existing' Zeiss 50/2 would be about the same. . .
yes, they would be close to the same size. though I don't know what the size of the zuiko is. if I'm not mistaken, they both (the 55/2 and your 58/2) had 46mm filter threads. I have a preset 2.2 55 and its roughly the same size, also with 46mm threads. really not any bigger than a standard rangefinder lens. the zeiss by comparison has 58mm filter threads (the Takumar 50mm 1.4 has 49mm threads) and weighs quite a bit more. the hood alone is gigantic with a bayonet mount. I honestly believe an f2 version of this lens would be no smaller, but only very marginally if it were. the Zeiss is an excellent performer, no doubt, but not what you are looking for if you want something like the zuiko.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, list, pentax lens, pk, slr lens, zeiss
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Streets 2008 Mugen Civic SI FowlerJphotos Post Your Photos! 2 02-06-2012 05:36 PM
Shootout: FA31 Limited vs. Contax-Zeiss 28mm f2.8 – Is the Zeiss the Limited's Peer? les3547 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 51 08-19-2011 05:29 AM
My photos of PENTAX SQUARE (from 2008) Christine Tham Pentax News and Rumors 6 01-03-2011 05:04 PM
Streets Riga 2008 Rorschach Post Your Photos! 9 05-09-2010 09:13 AM
Zeiss 50 f/2 Makro or Zeiss 85 f/1.4? coloseu Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 01-19-2009 07:01 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:33 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top