Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Hard to beat the Tamron 28~75 2.8 for what you are looking for...
Yup!
Its called a wedding photographers lens for a reason!

03-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mmeckel Quote
Im leaning towards the 31Ltd but need to be sure there are no issues with my K-5 it a crop sensor thats phy I was leaning to the DA* its specalised to the crop pentax.
Plenty of happy FA31Ltd users here that use it on APSc.
03-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Hard to beat the Tamron 28~75 2.8 for what you are looking for...
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Yup!
Its called a wedding photographers lens for a reason!
But on a budget (and with slightly less range) the F35-70 is a close approximation.
03-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Given the Op seems interested in the FA 31 I don't think the budget is the issue just the performance. From all the samples I've seen with this lens on apsc bodies I don't think it's anything less than highly recommended, and certainly is the best prime option in that FL range that is current.
maybe if the issue was only needing to step back another foot or so the FA43 would also be a good lesser cost alternative (in which case I'd probably get rid of the FA50 and replace it with the DA*55)

From a budget perspective my 24-70 2.8 sigma (older non hsm model) is a great value and should be findable for $350-450

04-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Possibly (I don't have the lens) but OP finds that he/she has to step back too much with a 50mm prime, so a DA*50-135 is not going to solve that.
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Agreed, DA* 50-135, while an absolute gem of a lens, is quite long for indoor studio use. I'm eagerly waiting more news on the two "short" zooms that are supposed to be on the lens map for 2012/2013.

Even if a Limited zoom tops out at F4, that'd be more than needed for indoor studio work for anything more than than a head & shoulders shot for my needs...
For indoor studio it is perfect. The zoom allows you to change the framing without moving, and you know that a fraction of a second can make the difference...

fs999 - why do you like this lens? what makes you choose this for portraits?
It is the sharpest zoom I ever used !

Some studio examples
04-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Just to chime in , Recently having picked up both the DA 40 ltd and 21 ltd.and waiting for delivery. How suitable are they for portrait and full body portraits? If I ever convince my better half buff hubby to pose for an artistic shoot.
04-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Melanie and welcome to the forums. The K-5 and the FA 31mm ltd is an excellent combination. If you want some examples check out the FA ltd thread in the Lens Clubs Forum. I'd suggest starting with the last images as they are less likely to be gone.
clicky for some nice eye candy

NaCl(the K-5 and the 31mm ltd ... a photographic 'perfect storm' combo)H2O

04-06-2012, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

When I was in a similar position, my research led me to the Sigma 30mm 1.4. I got it around Christmas of last year, and it has been my most used lens since then. I'm also a huge fan of the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 if you need a zoom, but it has seen little use since I got my 30mm, since I'm not usually willing to give up the speed of a large aperture. Here's a pic from my 30mm:

04-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
When I was in a similar position, my research led me to the Sigma 30mm 1.4. I got it around Christmas of last year, and it has been my most used lens since then. I'm also a huge fan of the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 if you need a zoom, but it has seen little use since I got my 30mm, since I'm not usually willing to give up the speed of a large aperture. Here's a pic from my 30mm:
Thank you for sharing an image with your lens suggestion. That looks like a great lens.
I think it is deffinetly a contender for my situation.
04-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I will assume that you want to stick with prime lenses.

I use the FA43 for upper body and environmental portraits. If that is wide enough for you, get it, and don't look back. In all likelihood, you will immediately put your 50/1.4 up for sale. If you need wider, there are the FA31 Limited and the DA35 Limited. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of these lenses. The primary decision is that of preferred focal length. Then comes IQ, with the FA Limiteds at the top, IMO.

Rob
04-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I will assume that you want to stick with prime lenses.

I use the FA43 for upper body and environmental portraits. If that is wide enough for you, get it, and don't look back. In all likelihood, you will immediately put your 50/1.4 up for sale. If you need wider, there are the FA31 Limited and the DA35 Limited. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of these lenses. The primary decision is that of preferred focal length. Then comes IQ, with the FA Limiteds at the top, IMO.

Rob
Thanks rob.
I'm really not set on primes. I need a wider focal length than my 50mm. My major concern is image quality it's my priority. If I get better quality out of primes I'll go that way but if I can get just as good out of a zoom that would be appealing too. I wish Pentax had a limited it DA* that was 28-70 range. I wouldn't even think twice but they don't. ;(
04-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #27

No one has mentioned the Pentax 17-70 SDM lens, not all that expensive, and a pretty good performer.
04-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks rob.
I'm really not set on primes. I need a wider focal length than my 50mm. My major concern is image quality it's my priority. If I get better quality out of primes I'll go that way but if I can get just as good out of a zoom that would be appealing too. I wish Pentax had a limited it DA* that was 28-70 range. I wouldn't even think twice but they don't. ;(
If IQ is your top priority, then the answer to your question is clear: Get the FA43, which is one of the finest lenses on planet. No zoom can touch it. In addition, it is small, fast, jewel-like in construction and an absolute pleasure to use. If you want to go wider, get the FA31, which is very close in IQ and rendering, but more expensive and a bit larger.

Rob
04-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
If IQ is your top priority, then the answer to your question is clear: Get the FA43
I don't think a 43mm is really a clear answer to someone looking for a lens a good bit wider than 50mm.

Your suggestion of the 31mm 1.8 ltd was a good one, but it's kind of hard to make a case for it when the lowest price online is $989.95 (Adorama), and the excellent Sigma 30mm 1.4 can be had for less than half the price at $454.99 (42nd Street Photo). Not to mention the fact that the Sigma is 2/3 stop faster.

I have the Sigma, and I do spend a lot of time at f1.4, so I would definitely miss it. With a wider angle like the 30 or 31mm, you need to use a very large aperture to induce bokeh in lot of situations, so the 1.4 is very useful.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 04-07-2012 at 10:02 AM.
04-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #30
Inactive Account

I wouldn't go much shorter than 30mm for portraits because of perspective distortion.