Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I have no personal experience with the Sigma 30/1.4, but Photozone tested it and was not impressed with its optical quality (2 stars out of 5).
That rating says very little about the Sigma 30/1.4 and a lot about Photozone.

Photozone rates the FA43/1.9 at 3.5 and the FA 77 at 3.5 with the comment "Optically it doesn't offer much beyond the mainstream in this class...". Go figure.

Photozone emphasises boring technical performance and hardly looks at what may make a lens interesting photographically. The Sigma 30/1.4 is not a perfect lens, but as many samples show can produce great results.

Perhaps some counterpoints from this review:
Plainly put, the centre performance of the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is spectacular.
The bokeh of the Sigma AF 30mm f/1.4 at wider apertures and close range is nothing short of sublime.
Specifically, I find that subject matter that is composed and focussed at the borders of the frame even wide-open contains ample detail.
The reviewer concludes with
All said, the Sigma AF 30mm f/1.4 is a very accomplished piece of glass and a testament to Sigma's commitment to practical rather than theoretical performance issues when designing their lenses.
I'd love to own a 31/1.8 but the Sigma 30/1.4 has its own virtues as well.

Last edited by Class A; 04-10-2012 at 07:29 PM.