Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I also got an email from ebay requesting that I either accept or decline the cancellation. Wonder what happens if I decline?

03-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #17

I declined the cancellation on mine. I paid already and haven't received a refund. So I would have to wait 24-48 for refund anyway. I think they are trying to blame ebays software or something. I think they should honor their ebay listing, I acted in good faith, don't think it was listed long enough for them to "lose thousands of dollars" like they said. If I listed something mistakenly of my own for sale I would honor that price, unless I cancelled it before someone bought it.
03-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmachine Quote
I declined the cancellation on mine. I paid already and haven't received a refund. So I would have to wait 24-48 for refund anyway. I think they are trying to blame ebays software or something. I think they should honor their ebay listing, I acted in good faith, don't think it was listed long enough for them to "lose thousands of dollars" like they said. If I listed something mistakenly of my own for sale I would honor that price, unless I cancelled it before someone bought it.
Yeah, I feel pretty much the same. One part of me kind of wants to let them off the hook. The other part really wants that lens at that price. I think the second part is winning right now. I'll decide later tonight.
03-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

They are being up front about it and have the right under seller's policy not to honor the sales - handled infinitely better than the QVC Q debacle last week. My guess would be that ebay would remove any negative feedback anyway given the situation.

03-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

In 40 minutes they lost $1000 on those 9 50-200mm WR lenses alone (and that is under-valuing them at $160 new). Between 11:49 and 11:51 they pulled at least 200 (that is how many are viewable) PAGES of 50 items from their store - 10000 items. Still think potentially thousands is out of the question?
03-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well at least I don't have to kick myself for missing the deal.
03-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #22
Veteran Member

A year ago one of the major camera shops posted dozens of eBay listings for scores of fast Voigtlander lenses in various major mounts... for US$5 each, BIN. I hit dozens of them. Wowie!! Then came the email about the software error, the cancellations and refunds, etc. Bumer. Was it coincidental that this occurred on 1 April 2011?
03-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think I'll go ahead and accept the cancellation. I doubt if I would get it for that price by declining and it would probably just prolong my refund.

03-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #24

Received an email today from seller stating their software was "compromised" and in approx 20 minutes, around 500 items sold well below original price. All money refunded as advised by ebay and orders canceled. I can't really blame them. Dang, would have loved to buy a DA50-200 for $57. But like they say "if it seems too good to be true" .... This is second time I have been involved in something similar. Too many crooks out there scamming people. Not sure if buying online is such a safe deal anymore.
03-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I got the email also. I got my refund late yesterday. They say some items were selling up to $800 below cost and had had to choose between honoring the sales and going out of business or refunding all orders. Obviously they chose to refund the orders and stay in business. I don't blame them for that and after hearing the explanation I wouldn't try to hold them to it. I sure hope they learn from this though!

My experiences buying online have been very positive overall so I'll keep looking for bargains. Every now and then I might even get one!
03-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Received an email today from seller stating their software was "compromised" and in approx 20 minutes, around 500 items sold well below original price. All money refunded as advised by ebay and orders canceled. I can't really blame them. Dang, would have loved to buy a DA50-200 for $57. But like they say "if it seems too good to be true" .... This is second time I have been involved in something similar. Too many crooks out there scamming people. Not sure if buying online is such a safe deal anymore.
Nothing is ever totally safe, but it sounds like this was a legitimate mistake, so it's only fair that the vendor be able to cancel. It's encouraging that people seem to be receiving refunds promptly.

Paul