Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I purchased a 18-135 once, and returned I didn't feel it was better than the kit lens. Perhaps I got a bad copy. I don't know.
That's is of course always a relevant point. In the 18-55 range it's not much better than the kit lens. And it's not a DA star. It's in an intermediate kind of grey zone. And it's obvious from the posts that whatever specs Pentax tests for before they ship this lens, they aren't tight enough. That being said.. a lot of times I drift out into the 70-135 range with this lens. The fact that it's center sharp, means most of the time it does a great job. Edge sharpness doesn't mean anything in a lot of telephoto images. If you want, think of it as a kit lens with extended range. I just find that for a walk around lens it's nice. And 70-90 mm is an "important" range to have access to. My primes are 21, 50, and 90. I definitely want my zoom to cover that range. If it's important enough to have a prime in that range, its' important enough to cover it with your walk around zoom. But, if you're happy with the kit lens, that saves you a pile of money. That's better for you. IN fact if you can get along with a kit lens you and leave out the long end of the spectrum, you can end up with some really nice lenses for half the cost of what those of us who feel we need to cover 10-300 with a converter to go longer just in case. I'd love to be you. For what I paid for my DA*60-250 I could have had a 31 ltd and a nice 40. Actually, I looked at the comparison shots here on the site before I bought this lens. I actually thought the difference between this and the kit warranted the extra money. But that's just me. I was happy with the Kit lens, a Sigma 70-300 an FA 50 1.7 and a DA 10-17 for years.

03-25-2012, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
How about photozone quotes? , look across 24 mm, the 18-135 makes toast of all the others. For center sharpness it makes toast of all the others almost everywhere, for edge sharpness, in quite a few f-stops it's also equal in edge sharpness. By knowing where the strong points of this lens are, you can unquestionably get a better image out of this lens than any other lens mentioned in this thread. Whether or not you will has nothing to do with the lens. It's all about the shooter.

I hope this will finally put to rest any notion that this guy has a clue what he's talking about 90% of the time.
The 18-135 was tested on a 16 MPix Pentax K5, while the 17-70 and the 18-250 were tested on a 10 MPix Pentax K10D... Photozone has a warning on every page:

Please note that the tests results are not comparable across the different systems!

If you insist on comparing the figures across different platforms, then you might also state that the 18-135 has much better resolution than both the FA* 24/2 and the 31 Limited:

Cheers!

Abbazz
03-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Pentax 18-135mm Superzoom

QuoteOriginally posted by lukelbd Quote
Pentax SMC-DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR - Review / Lens Test - Analysis

Is this review accurate, or did they in fact get a bad copy? I'm thinking about getting the K-5 with this lens now that the price has dropped. Can anyone offer a comparison of the performance of this lens vs. the 18-55mm kit lens?

I just ask this because, while this is the only very detailed review I have found, it is also much more negative than what ratings would suggest. I'd hoped that the downsides of this lens were no worse than those of the comparable canon and nikon superzooms.
I have been using this lens since it was released. I use it in conjunction with the DA15mm Ltd, DA35 f2.4, and DA70 Ltd as my daily kit. I don't often take the 18-135 off my K5 because it does a fine job as long as you know its limitations.
I blew this photo up to 24x36 inches and it looks awesome evan at close viewing.
Joe
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I don't have the 18-135, but most samples I've seen, including Adam's review, look better than the kit. The photozone review was harsh, but if I recall the lens was $600 at the time. Now I think the price makes it much more reasonable, and I fancy to get one to go with my incoming K-5.

03-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rodin5 Quote
I have been using this lens since it was released. I use it in conjunction with the DA15mm Ltd, DA35 f2.4, and DA70 Ltd as my daily kit. I don't often take the 18-135 off my K5 because it does a fine job as long as you know its limitations.
I blew this photo up to 24x36 inches and it looks awesome evan at close viewing.
Joe
Nice one!

Can you comment on what you avoid as it's limitations?
03-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Sweet spot

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Nice one!

Can you comment on what you avoid as it's limitations?
Jeff, I try not to use the lens under 24mm or over 120mm , I usually stop down to f6.3 to f7.1 and use it mainly for mid distance landscapes, and scenic shots that have a fair amount of contrast. There are a lot of better lenses, however I live in Seattle and a WR lens is very handy to have with you.
Joe
03-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I am very happy with my 18x135, but it does have limitations. There simply have to be some variations between copies of the lenses, because my unscientific field testing produces results very different from the photozone tests and somewhat different from rodin5's.
My notes to myself w/ this lens:
• Very best at ~24-50mm
• Very good down to 18mm and up to 100mm (my copy is actually quite good at the wide end [except for one corner]; i.e., 18-24mm is better than 70-100mm)
• Center is excellent even wide open, especially at wider end
• Better to stop down to f8 or even f11 at longer end
• Noticeable but not terrible barrel distortion at 18mm (using K-x in-camera Distortion Correction largely takes care of it; all good at lengths above 18mm)
• Fast and quiet focus
• CA is not really a problem at all
03-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #38
Veteran Member

People seem to have made their minds up, even if they haven't ever even touched a 18-135. One aspect that is true regardless of the opinions about its sharpness is that it is a WR lens that goes from 18-135. That means, for practical purposes, you can put it on your K5 in bad conditions and not have to change your lens at all. Serious plus if you are taking photos in rain, snow, dust, etc. If, and I say IF, you think it could be better optically but need to have a lens in bad weather, that you can reply on close and mid-far, then visit Topaz for plug-ins for your LR and CS.

03-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Nice thread, I'll be checking this out since I'm also checking out the K-5 with 18-135 kit lens.

That extra range might really help... now to justify the cost along with it.
03-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
People seem to have made their minds up, even if they haven't ever even touched a 18-135. One aspect that is true regardless of the opinions about its sharpness is that it is a WR lens that goes from 18-135. That means, for practical purposes, you can put it on your K5 in bad conditions and not have to change your lens at all. Serious plus if you are taking photos in rain, snow, dust, etc. If, and I say IF, you think it could be better optically but need to have a lens in bad weather, that you can reply on close and mid-far, then visit Topaz for plug-ins for your LR and CS.
The 18-55 is WR too and it costs $230 less. Given that the weakest part of the 18-135 is its extra range, it makes it worthy only if you often need that extra reach. I think people just find it hard to justify and that shows in the opinions.