Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #1

Is my lens really made in 1975?

G'Day everyone,

I just purchased a lens from ebay, which is pretty nifty (
Pentax Makinon Zoom 80-200mm f3.5 Macro Manual Focus Lens 67mm MadeIn Japan 1975) Pentax Makinon Zoom 80-200mm f3.5 Macro Manual Focus Lens 67mm MadeIn Japan 1975 | eBay but it says on the items description that the lens was made in 1975... I can't find any year printed on the lens, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is that old considering how old the case is that it came in. Just wondering, how do I find out actually how old it really is?

Cheers,
Scotty O

03-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lenses without aperture automation are mostly from the 70's- so yup, this would make perfect sense

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
That's awesome. I feel like such a hipster now :P I've got some good shots from it I wish I could see exactly what year it was though
03-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1975? Inexpensive consumer zooms with "macro" were all the rage in the late 70's and later. Unless the seller had a receipt or a manufacturer's certificate (so-called passport), I would consider a 1975 date highly unlikely and probably pure conjecture.

So...tell me, does the date make a difference?

Steve

03-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another Clue?

Hello Scottyob,
Another clue is that Pentax introduced the "K" mount in 1975 (according to the Pentax Timeline on the official Pentax site) so bayonet-mount lenses made for "PK" mount would have to date from '75 or later.
Before that, they would have been m42.
It surely wouldn't take the after-market companies long to catch up with the new mounts, Pentax kept the screw mount later than most of the major SLR makers.
Ron
03-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Exactly what I was thinking..
03-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by privateryan Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, it matters somewhat. I like pre-1975 primes because they often impart a 'period' feel, and because lenses that survived in the Kodachrome era were usually damn sharp. Early zooms often weren't so sharp, especially the cheap 'macro' zooms. Exceptions abound: Vivitar Series 1, Tokina ATX, Soligor CD, etc. But even Nikon produced some turds. The earliest decent cheap zooms I can think of were those made by Samyang and marketed as Sears or Albinar, but those still mostly don't match contemporary IQ.

Yes, date can matter. Avoid early non-premium zooms. Grab early primes. Those are among my rules.
03-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by privateryan Quote
It doesn't matter I suppose. It's just like visiting a museum I guess, when I look through the lens and see only a tiny little scratch there's that same nice feeling of looking at something that is that old and has lasted in such good condition. I guess if it was just 10-15 years old instead of my believed 37, the stories of how old it is and what it's seen and captured though it are a bit more limited.

I took it out for another play this morning and am pretty impressed with the shots I got for an AUD $12.50 ebay purchase though. I can see this becoming a great hobby pretty quickly.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114129087926327956192/Makinon80200mmF35Macro?au...eat=directlink