Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Wales, UK
Posts: 645
Tamron AF 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 ?

Considering replacing my 50-200 with the "Tamron AF 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2"

Do owners rate this lens - is it a worthwhile replacement for the 50-200 ?

thanks

Simon

01-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
I am looking at this lens also but as a complement to my DA 50-200 instead of replacing it. I would solicit opinions on the Tamron Di Macro 70-300 especially on the IQ pass 200mm. From what I gather from others, the optical quality of the Tamron is close to the DA 50-200 and it seems very reasonable in cost to get a better reach at 300mm but I will miss the 50-70mm useful focal range if I replace my dependable Da 50-200 as I find the focal range in DA 50-200 very usable but lacking a bit on the far end.

The other choices that I am looking is in the Sigma 135-400mm and some old manual primes in 300mm but the manual primes are expensive. I recently sold the Sigma 75-300 DL and I have a difficult time in using the Sigma at the long end with a push/pull zoom that extend with heavy weight at 300mm and I find my hands shaking in shooting static object. It is my preference to go light on zoom lens and I have gotten used to DA 50-200, my unique problems, perhaps. And I see my limits in hand holding once I push the zoom in Sigma 75-300 DL (an older version of the Sigma 70-300 other newer model) to the 300mm end. As for the Tamron, it is much lighter, I think and it is a turning zoom as opposed to other pull/push zoom that I had with my Sigma 75-300 and the Tamron has the 1:2 macro which is a big plus for me.

Thanks,
Hin
01-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Mallee Boy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hindmarsh Isl. Sth Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,485
I have both.
Other than the 100mm extra reach and the macro capability I don't think there is any advantage.
Comes down to how much you want/need the 300mm. I think I would be having a look at the Sigma 135-400 APO ( a new one with the zoom lock function) rather than the Tamron.

Just one word of warning, be aware the earlier model 135-400's do not have a zoom lock and lens will creep as you carry it...which gets very annoying, other than that it is a very good lens.

Good Luck.
01-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
I have both lenses in question and I don't know if I can say the Tamron is a replacement for the Pentax for me. It serves a different purpose, I use the Tamron for outdoor nature shots, wildlife and the macro feature is hella sweet. I like the Pentax for portrait shots because it's range is better suited for it. I am also looking at the Sigma 135-400mm to get some extra reach.

01-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
I have both.
Other than the 100mm extra reach and the macro capability I don't think there is any advantage.
Comes down to how much you want/need the 300mm. I think I would be having a look at the Sigma 135-400 APO ( a new one with the zoom lock function) rather than the Tamron.

Just one word of warning, be aware the earlier model 135-400's do not have a zoom lock and lens will creep as you carry it...which gets very annoying, other than that it is a very good lens.

Good Luck.
How does it compare price wise?!?
In UK, the price difference is something like 200GBP + (that's the smallest margin)
If would be comparable to Tamron's price then it would be good to get it and keep 50-200... but if not, then Tamron is OK. It's fine lens for it's price. It has good reach, good sharpness and great macro capability. Yes, there is some CA but you can live with it, especialy if you're carefull.
So I'd go with Tamron, but I'd keep DA 50-200 anyway...
01-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Mallee Boy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hindmarsh Isl. Sth Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,485
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
How does it compare price wise?!?
In UK, the price difference is something like 200GBP + (that's the smallest margin)
If would be comparable to Tamron's price then it would be good to get it and keep 50-200... but if not, then Tamron is OK. It's fine lens for it's price. It has good reach, good sharpness and great macro capability. Yes, there is some CA but you can live with it, especialy if you're carefull.
So I'd go with Tamron, but I'd keep DA 50-200 anyway...
Sure, the 135-400 is more expensive, but I also think its worth it in terms of IQ and the 400mm as I don't think there is a lot of difference between the 50-200 & Tamron in IQ and the Tamron has that annoying CA factor in certain conditions.

I merely offer it up as an alternative for consideration.....but yes, it is more expensive.
Cheers
01-10-2008, 12:39 AM   #7
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Menai Bridge
Posts: 42
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Other than the 100mm extra reach and the macro capability.
What did the Romans ever do for us?

On a more serious note; I have a Pentax K100D and an 18-50mm kit lens. I don't know whether to go with the Tamron 18-250mm for walks with the family. Or do I spend the money on a Tamron 70-300mm and a flash. I'm confused.
01-10-2008, 01:07 AM   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Glasgow, UK
Posts: 38
If anyone in the UK is looking to buy one of these, Warehouse Express has it on sale for £69.99 - Specials - warehouseexpress.com

01-10-2008, 04:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Mallee Boy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hindmarsh Isl. Sth Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,485
QuoteOriginally posted by Von Ryan Quote
What did the Romans ever do for us?

On a more serious note; I have a Pentax K100D and an 18-50mm kit lens. I don't know whether to go with the Tamron 18-250mm for walks with the family. Or do I spend the money on a Tamron 70-300mm and a flash. I'm confused.
took awhile but I got it.
Seriously?....I'm probably not the bloke to seek a serious answer from but I would go with the 18-250, take note of which focal length you use the most, see what you enjoy the most and then (in time) add a top quality prime in that focal length to advance your skills.....that make any sense?

Cheers.
01-10-2008, 05:32 AM   #10
LED
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 192
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I recently sold the Sigma 75-300 DL and I have a difficult time in using the Sigma at the long end with a push/pull zoom that extend with heavy weight at 300mm and I find my hands shaking in shooting static object. It is my preference to go light on zoom lens and I have gotten used to DA 50-200, my unique problems, perhaps. And I see my limits in hand holding once I push the zoom in Sigma 75-300 DL (an older version of the Sigma 70-300 other newer model) to the 300mm end.
Since this lens belong to me now , I can say it looks a little bit harder to handle the zoom to the long end. However I'm a big guy with a stady hand so there's no problem for me.
01-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #11
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ont, Canada.
Posts: 563
The Pentax DA 50-200 is a neat little performer for the price.

I also have the Tamron 70-300 that I nicknamed "The Purple Monster" for its love of purple fringing. Just don't use the Tamron in high contrast shots like ducks frolicking in the water, or birds in the branch silhouetted by a bright blue sky, or even insects on white flowers. I kid you not, I am more then less then pleased with this lens, and keep it only because of the 1:2 macro mode that is perfect for large insect macros..if you don't mind removing the purple fringe that seems to show up all the time. You get what you pay for, and I canít really complain much about this lens based on the price point.

I also have the Penax DA 18-250. This lens is sharper and suffers from little to no purple fringe. It is also almost twice the price of the Tamron. Of the two, the Pentax/Tamron 18-250 is a superior product to the 70-300 opticaly
01-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #12
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Menai Bridge
Posts: 42
Well gentlemen, It looks like I'm about to purchase a Tamron 18-250mm.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Pete
01-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Wales, UK
Posts: 645
Original Poster
I purchased the Tamron 70-300 for £69 last night, too good to miss at that price.

It seems that there is much sample variation but if the 70-300 I recieve is one of the better versions it will replace my 50-200, which to be honest I'm not happy with - perhaps a bad copy ?

As I already own the Sigma 17-70 the Tamron compliments its range nicely

simon
03-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MALAYSIA
Posts: 1
[langtitle=ms]Andy tan gila camera sahaja[/langtitle]

saya andy tan suka camera 'umur 15 start suka ambil gambar'
sekarang start gila camera'
1985 ricoh kr 10,xrp,XRX
1986 canon ae1, nikon fe
1987 nikon fm2., minolta xx
1988 olympus om1n,om4ti
1989 nikon fm2,canon eos 650,850 ,RT
STOP PLAY
2007 FUJIFILM S9500,PENTAX 20D,RICOH GR2,GX200,PANASONIC TZ7 TS 1 TS2,
TO LEICA V-LUX1,NIKON 5000D ,PANASONIC G1 FZ 35 FZ100, PENTAX K-5 K-7
NIKON 300S,90D,3000D,7000D,P7000CANON 7D,G10,G11,60D,OLYMPUS E-3
2011 RICOH GXR 50MM, 28-300MM, 28MM NIKON FM3,FM2 YEAR DRAGON
(BIASA BELI DI YL CAMERA) DESMOND LIEW BOSS
SILA JAGAN IKUT SAYA YANG GILA ,TQ
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
70-300mm, 70-300mm f4-5.6 di, af 70-300mm f4-5.6, di, di ld macro, f4-5.6, f4-5.6 di ld, k-mount, ld, macro, pentax lens, slr lens, tamron af 70-300mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamron 70-300mm LD Di macro mattmiles Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 01-16-2010 09:30 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K100d + 18-55mm + Tamron 70-300mm; Tamron 90mm Macro jake123 Sold Items 4 11-09-2009 12:51 PM
Tamron 70-300mm for 1:1 macro? audiobomber Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 0 07-04-2008 01:22 PM
Tamron 70-300mm 1:2 F/4-5.6 DI LD Macro FS=62 For Pentax AF stev61 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 05-09-2008 07:44 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top