Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #1

Zoom LBA (80-200/60-250/etc)

Well, I have the urge to buy a nice zoom. I generally prefer wider lenses, but the need does come up.

I like the look of the 80-200 or the 60-250 and even though I know the DA* makes more sense, something about the FA* is just hard to resist... more or less comes down to WR vs speed. HSM helps the DA*, but how is manually focusing the 80-200? Awkward or not too bad?

Are there any options to help with WR that are better than a fancy plastic bag? Neoprene cover or something a bit more permanent/durable? No rumors of a DA* f2.8 zoom other than the 50-135 coming up? Considering the sigma 70-200 too, but havent looked at it in too much detail. Bah.... why is fast and WR so hard.

Also... I was thinking about a 18-135 as a general purpose lense for trips/etc that photography is secondary, other people might use my camera, and weather can get ugly. Has there been any info on the DA zoom with similar range that shows up on the roadmap? Probly not WR?

Dunno... might not even pull the trigger right now, just half thinking out loud. Part of me says wait and see whats coming, the other part says I'll be waiting forever and miss lots of pictures.

03-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Den
Veteran Member

I have a Pentax SMC M80-200mm purchased new in 1982 and it is still a very good lens. I presently use it on a K5. It's only manual of course, but so are all my lenses. I would imagine they are very inexpensive (if you can find one) Look in the "lenses" part of this forum for more info.
03-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You obviously need a Vivitar Series 1 70-210, either the Komine or Kiron versions. Nothing less wiill do.
03-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect the Pentax SMC F 70-210 is superior to just about any of the older, manual focus zooms in comparable range. But none of those older lenses will match the FA* 80-200 or the DA* 60-250. What distinguishes the star zooms is that they maintain greater consistency across their range—i.e., they lose very little resolution as their focal length increases.

03-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

First consideration should be intended use I think.
The da*60-250 is a sharp lens but I felt the AF was a bit slow for sports which was my priority.
I went with a Sigma HSM II 70-200 2.8 and it works well for my use.
03-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

buy a sigma/tamron to USE
buy the FA*80-200 for LBA
03-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

bang for buck, i think you cannot beat the tamron 70-200, i've never really been disappointed from the images it takes. yes it is not WR but i have used a plastic bag on it before (how often do you shoot in rain anyway? i know i dont!)

my 2c
03-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
buy a sigma/tamron to USE
buy the FA*80-200 for LBA

Ha... thats probly about right although it might be the 60-250 to use instead.

Re: other points...

I actually do shoot in the rain, in and around rivers, and generally like not worrying about the damp conditions.

Intended use was a general purpose zoom for wildlife, people, etc. Focus speed isn't unimportant but I'm not looking to shoot sports so its not the main consideration.

I'll probly end up with the DA*, but the extra speed/separation from 2.8 would be handy... I think this is mostly just me whishing for a faster WR zoom and debating if a wr18-135 and non-wr longer zoom would work for me. I know no one can give me an answer but its always nice to hear peoples experiences. Ususally gives some insight I might not have thought of otherwise.

03-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The 60-250 isn't the fastest focusing lens in out there - although it does focus better on the K5 than my old K10. It has the capability to take wonderful pictures - better than most of my other lenses. I use the lens quite a bit, however, because it has a great range for what I do (nature and sports). However, I do not use that lens as a manual lens as I find it not as comfortable to use as other lenses. If I'm shooting sports (or hummingbirds or other things moving fast) I go with a 135mm or 200mm prime lens ('70s Vivitars) because they are faster, designed for manual focusing (i.e. the 60-250 is a thick lens), and fit better.

That being said, my Canikon friends laugh at me because they say their cameras can auto-focus on 'any' moving subject. With my K10 I agree with them. I do not agree with my K5. Even with my K10, I found I took better shots (more saved shots) than they would because manual focus makes me pick the shot instead of see how many times the shutter will turn before my buffer fills.

For travel, I take 3 lenses: the DA* 60-250, my 55mm Tak, and my 12-24. They are a bit bigger then some other options, but it covers pretty much any need I'd have. Since the 60-250 is such a go-to lens of mine, I have to recommend it. But, keep in mind it does have it's limitations with manual focusing and it's a big lens. You'll get good photo quality from it tho as long as you know how to use it.
03-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote
The 60-250 isn't the fastest focusing lens in out there - although it does focus better on the K5 than my old K10. It has the capability to take wonderful pictures - better than most of my other lenses. I use the lens quite a bit, however, because it has a great range for what I do (nature and sports). However, I do not use that lens as a manual lens as I find it not as comfortable to use as other lenses. If I'm shooting sports (or hummingbirds or other things moving fast) I go with a 135mm or 200mm prime lens ('70s Vivitars) because they are faster, designed for manual focusing (i.e. the 60-250 is a thick lens), and fit better.

That being said, my Canikon friends laugh at me because they say their cameras can auto-focus on 'any' moving subject. With my K10 I agree with them. I do not agree with my K5. Even with my K10, I found I took better shots (more saved shots) than they would because manual focus makes me pick the shot instead of see how many times the shutter will turn before my buffer fills.

For travel, I take 3 lenses: the DA* 60-250, my 55mm Tak, and my 12-24. They are a bit bigger then some other options, but it covers pretty much any need I'd have. Since the 60-250 is such a go-to lens of mine, I have to recommend it. But, keep in mind it does have it's limitations with manual focusing and it's a big lens. You'll get good photo quality from it tho as long as you know how to use it.
Thanks for that. Good to know re: manual focusing. Really the only thing holding me back is doubt about f4 being fast enough and thats probly not going to last long.