Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

DA40 on a Film body

So got around to getting the roll developed, using a Pentax MZ-6 and a SMP-DA 40mm f/2.8 (digital only) lens. It helps if the body is capable of controlling the aperture from the body for the DA lens, but I noticed most of the DA lens will not cover full frame, the DA40 seems to be the exception. Some examples below on Kodak BW400CN (chromagenic B&W).

(Thats the store I work at below, we're still packing before we finally shut it down)

01-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any deals on Pentax gear?

Nice images by the way - looks like the DA 40 works well on FF..
01-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Any deals on Pentax gear?
As if enough people haven't asked if we were having a 'sale' yet... but quite frankly no the owner didn't have any big sales or anything like that, just pack-em-up-and-move-em-online plan.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Nice images by the way - looks like the DA 40 works well on FF..
Certainly does, the MZ-6 confused me a lil bit cuz it hit frame 22 of a 36 exposure roll and immediately rewound, I got another roll see if it happens again but I think what happened was that the roll I had in there I took out of another camera, so the end of the leader was creased in a fold and I think that interfered.

But hey, the DA40 on that camera makes it very pocketable, only thing smaller would probably be an MX, however you can't control the lens with an MX.
01-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
Forum Member

very nice shots!
please tell me you know the person with the shopping cart...

01-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xixco Quote
very nice shots!
please tell me you know the person with the shopping cart...
Uh No... I just like stalking random strangers... I mean wife, I mean erm... stranger.
01-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
karl, or anyone else

can you take a shot of a uniformly lit surface, such as a wall, or perhaps a flash exposure of a wall, so that we can measure the exposue in the corners vs the center with a photo editor?

While I agree there does not appear to be a serious problem, there still may be some vignetting.

Perhaps, if you don't mind the cost, do a series from maximum apature down. Although it sounds like your camera does not control the apature. Got a PZ-1 handy,. it'll work just fine
01-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Although it sounds like your camera does not control the apature. Got a PZ-1 handy,. it'll work just fine

Eh? I just said in my post that it does control the aperture just fine, I would have not paid for the body if it could not.

The outdoor shots were between 5.6 and 11, the indoor or night shots were all wide open at 2.8
01-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
By the way, i have a roll of 400VC Portra in there right, I don't mind running a bunch of shots against a flat wall at work in 1 stop increments from 2.8 and up, and then just fill the rest of the roll with whatever. Its only going to cost me bout 2$ to have it developed accross the street as I normally just scan it at work (while I still have access to the scanner).

01-10-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting images!

Are you satisfied with the Kodak BW400CN?
Perhaps I should try it.
I only used Ilford XP2, which I find a little difficult to handle fotografically.
I use it mainly for portrait, it works best at ISO 800 is my impression.
01-10-2008, 01:21 AM   #10
Inactive Account

(Thats the store I work at below, we're still packing before we finally shut it down)
[/QUOTE]

Your image is the sad part, yet beautiful it reminds me as I approach my late forties in life. The atmosphere of the intimacy of the local photography shop, the owner who genuinely cares, the employees who have vast experience with the equipment with true knowledge of the capabilities. Is rapidly disappearing from our view and accessibility.

All so the big retailers can squeak out a few cents profit in quantity, we may lose on quality.

Last edited by WendyB; 01-10-2008 at 01:31 AM.
01-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Excellent photos. The DA 70 works with film as well, with no vignetting visible.
01-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hey - quick question again - Regarding that Kodak 400CN - That's a color negative or, is processed through a color machine. Usually it has that blue-cast visible in some of your images but, I notice not in all of them - Did you post-process the scans afterwards or was this just a fluctuation in the film. I'm very curious as I just purchased some 400CN and some 400TX.. The 400CN is going to a local lab for processing after running it through a new K1000 I picked up and the 400TX will be going back to Kodak for processing and enlargements.. Thanks.
01-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I generally use BW400CN when I'm lazy, as over the winter and with the water heater acting up I don't process my own B&W as often. Preferably I'd shoot Tri-X, FP4+ or PanF+, but BW400CN works if you just want to run it accross the street to CVS, pay 2$ and bring the negatives back to the store and scan em.

BW400CN is B&W film in a manner of speaking, just developed in color chemistry and comes out as B&W but with the orange mask like C41 normally has. (T400CN which they discontinued comes out of the machine without the mask, making it easier to print on a traditional enlarger).

I find BW400CN to be pretty smooth and forgiving much like XP2, but its not my prefered film. If you scan it straight as color film the scanner might pick it up with having sort of a sepia tone but ever so slightly, depends on how your scanner detects the color balance.

in my opinion, if you're going to shoot traditional B&W, its best developed yourself.