Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got a decent deal (I think) on my first AF lens.

Funny thing, I've had a K20D for months now, but until now I was never actually sure whether or not the auto focus worked on it (which is does). I was quite happy to stubbornly stick to my old Pentax A series lenses.

i had a friend who was helping someone sell off some leftover film camera stuff and he said it was Pentax so I went to have a look, I ended up buying it all for $100:

This lens: Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database (with canon UV haze filter & original hood)
This lens: Sigma 24-70mm F3.5-5.6 UC Aspherical Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database (with original hood)
This Camera: Pentax MZ-7/ZX-7 - Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews

Everything is in like new condition and working, and all the boxes and original books and stuff are there and extra random crap like a lead bag for airport X-ray stuff with film, and various things you'd own with a camera.
Even came with a 4 pack of Kodak 24 exposure 400 ISO high definition film whatever that is. It expired 6 years ago but I'll use it anyways.
Looks like the camera originally came with a Pentax FA28-80 F3.5-5.6 but all that's left is the box, maybe it broke and they replaced it with the sigma

Not sure I'll be using the film camera as I am already used to my old Super Program for that purpose, so I might just sell it with that kit lens on it, I really just wanted the 70-300 because even though its not the best lens it extends my range from my current max of 210mm to 300mm, though I may get a new filter, this canon one looks like a cheap non coated hoya to me and that lens does better with a quality filter judging from the reviews.

I'm rather surprised how fast the auto focus shoots (hard enough to slightly jerk the camera) from one end of the focus range to the other when you suddenly switch objects, Its nice to know my camera's auto focus actually works. The Katzeye I put in there doesn't seem to mess it up even with center focus point selected either. My Nikon friend thought the noise it makes when focusing was a real hoot, he kept calling it my "steam powered focus".

EDIT: anyone know why they call this 70-300 zoom a macro lens? Its nothing like my A35-105 macro which has a shift in the focus ring to get into the macro range (which is crazy close). Maybe I'm just missing a switch or something.

03-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
EDIT: anyone know why they call this 70-300 zoom a macro lens? Its nothing like my A35-105 macro which has a shift in the focus ring to get into the macro range (which is crazy close). Maybe I'm just missing a switch or something.
"Macro" probably simply means you can get close enough (4 ft, maybe) to get a 1:4 magnification factor. Sadly, it seems like nearly every lens that is capable of a 1:4 "macro ratio" is labeled as a macro lens. IMHO, "macro" doesn't really start until 1:2.

Anyway, congrats on the haul, the Tammy should be at least decently serviceable - I like mine, altho it's a slightly different model that has 1:2 macro - and if you can sell the MZ-7 and Sigma then I think you will have made out pretty well.

Last edited by luftfluss; 06-08-2016 at 08:24 AM.