Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
tpe

Original Poster
Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for all the useful replies, and being so gentle having posted a picture of a S**y mounted on the pentax lens . It has been a hectic week so havn't got round to trying to sell it yet but if and when I do I will be sure to put a post in the market place here. At the moment it is still a livingroom lens, and alas it is a bit like the crashed motorcycle coffee table we had in college, it doesnt get used much but is a real conversation peice .

If anyone is interested there should be some pictures of it here...

Directory Listing of /_temp/1000_8/

Meanwhile thanks for all the advice especially to a new user and very good to get an intro to such an active community.

Tim

Last edited by tpe; 04-01-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: spelling
04-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the K Series version and the most important thing using this lens is a good tripod. It’s physically the longest in length of any lens that Pentax made in any format, so it’s also a pain to carry around in the trunk. You will get a lot of strange looks and bazooka jokes from people! Also atmospheric conditions play a big part in getting good pictures with this lens, filters are important especially on film. I only shoot film so the PF/CA issues are not as bad as on a DSLR.

The price depends on condition and if you have the mental trunk and proper removable filter/camera mount. Some of these have been modified for other brands. I would say $1,000 to $1,500.00. You will get more because you have the Pentax wooden tripod, that is VERY rare!

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 04-01-2012 at 02:50 PM.
04-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #18
tpe

Original Poster
Many thanks gofour3.

Incedently if a mod reads this, if I have already listed the lens and a 50mm SMK as buy now on ebay does that mean I cant list them here on the market place (If i understand the marketplace fine print properly)?

Thanks

Tim
04-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Fringing and aberrations can be bad, and it can vibrate. You need a very steady mount.
I have the K-mount version--purchased from KEH (in EX condition with trunk) $1200. It is challenging but I have gotten some decent photos from it.

It requires a really sturdy set of legs and performs best with strong light from behind you--I've gotten my best results shooting West in the morning. I generally stop down to +/- f16 to maximize dof & minimize fringing. I've also use extension tubes to reduce the MFD--works fine.