Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #1

Pricing advice for an unusual lens (1000/8)

Hi All

I have come across a rather unusual lens and am very probably going to try to sell it.

However I am not sure what price to charge.

I have seen the same lens on Ebay but the pricing there seems to be a bit rediculous. Currently there are two of these lenses on ebay but both seem a lot higher than i had expected. One is 3699 USD and the other is 1795 euro. I dont think the lens didnt cost this much new so I thought I would ask the experts.

Neither of listed ones have the tripod and bag that mine has and the second one has been modified. My copy does have a fair amount of dust in it, but other than that I think it is in excelent condition. I have a feeling that the dust comes from aluminum oxidization from the age of the lens, it would also be interesting to hear others thoughts on this.

Here is a picture of it in my living room .

Also if anyone has experience of getting the best out of this lens it would be very interesting to hear. I have been getting mixed results. there is a lot of fringing wide open and even the cat walking across the floor makes the lens vibrate even on the huge tripod that comes with it.

The lens is the Super Multi Coated Takumar 1000/8. I am a bit embarrased as this is the first lens that I am a little put off taking to the park to get pictures of the local wildlife as I am sure that everyone will come up and ask me about it constantly. That and my arms would be killing me just carrying the lens and tripod the 3 km to the park.

Many thanks for any comments.

Tim

03-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can probably list it for about a grand in the marketplace: you'll notice that the K-mount version goes for $1200-$1400.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-1000mm-F8-Lens.html

Please note that we don't allow any for-sale threads outside the marketplace, and the moderators will go after you if you try that

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-26-2012, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can see your problem with the IQ immediately, a Sony DSLR! hehe
03-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Adam has hit the price for you (the only eBay price that means anything is the completed sale price buy it now prices are all over the place)

Image quality - it's tough to get a good shot out of any 1000mm lens most definitely. and shake is a huge issue but so is atmospheric distortion. Older lenses like this having PF or CA wide open are pretty normal.

03-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, that's a brute. I have a Vivitar 500mm from 1970, and this thing is bigger. Carrying anything that big for any distance - with that big wood tripod - will probably require some sort of sling, or put it in a backpack.

It would be fun to play with!
03-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Awesome - put about 750mm's of extension tubes on that thing and see what the results are ...
03-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You wanted to take it to the park? It can't focus closer than 30m!

PS That's 1500mm effective. Ever heard of Area 51?
03-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tpe Quote
Hi All

I have come across a rather unusual lens and am very probably going to try to sell it.

Here is a picture of it in my living room .

Many thanks for any comments.

Tim
I would have to get a new living room first! I think if you sprayed it white and stencilled 560 on the side you might get $2k

03-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
You wanted to take it to the park? It can't focus closer than 30m!

PS That's 1500mm effective. Ever heard of Area 51?
I tried setting up the 500mm lens in the back yard to shoot hummingbirds. I had a nice spot in the shade and couldn't get it to focus on the feeder. Then I looked at the range info - minimum 8m. I had to back up a bit... though I know of a swampy park near here with permanent photo blinds, this combined with a smaller tele or zoom on a second tripod would be a nice afternoon (of mosquitoes).

I don't have the money, but this 1000mm lens tempts me.
03-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I don't have the money, but this 1000mm lens tempts me.
I think that might be said for many of us...
03-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

There is one on e-bay at the moment but honestly I don't know what I would do with it. Same goes for the 500/4.5. The MFD is too restrictive when compared to ny tameron 200-500/5.6 which focuses to about 2 meters
03-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I had that lens, I would buy the K-mount adapter for the Q and a Q body, and take pictures of an alternate dimension.
03-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
If I had that lens, I would buy the K-mount adapter for the Q and a Q body, and take pictures of an alternate dimension.
They should put a back screen on the Hubble. Then you can take pictures of the Hubble taking pictures.
03-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I had the K-mount version for a while. I paid ~$800 from KEH and sold it for about the same price.

I even put my Pen on it once. Got some great shots of the moon. The camera actually fit inside the lens cap.

As others said, it's tough to get good shots. Fringing and aberrations can be bad, and it can vibrate. You need a very steady mount.
03-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Makes you wonder if it wouldn't be better to just buy a telescope. According to the 1000/8 saga thread, it only has 5 elements.
I believe that a telescope with a good focusing mechanism (they're lacking in this respect) would actually serve people better, since it could easily made with eyepiece adapters for cameraless viewing. Or we could just make our own lenses...