Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Banned

Disappointed

The reason the title is vague is because I am unsure what is disappointing me, my new K-5 or the DA* 16-50mm.

From my first few test shot, I can't seem to get a sharp picture. And the purple fringing is crazy bad. I read the reports and heavily underestimated their accuracy. Out of 20 or so shots, I could only find one image that seemed properly focused, and not fringed to death.

I am an experienced shooter, but this is my very first, one and only Pentax. So I have little to compare it to, but my D7000. I also don't have any other lens to try it out with, so, yeah.

The camera and lens are both brand new, fresh from Adorama, and B&H, respectively.

So I guess my question is, do K-5s have a frequent problem with focus and sharpness? Would a Tamron 17-50mm give me better results than the 16-50? What about the Pentax 17-70, I think I could suffer the loss of a stop of light if it is sharp and controls CA.

I am in the pursuit of happiness, and sure could use some help.

03-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Banned

Original Poster
Oh yeah, and the in body image stabilization seems a bit lacking. I can't seem to get sharp photos hand held at 16mm, 2.8, 1/20 second
03-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
400 iso
03-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please post a few of the offending pictures up to this forum, preferably either full size, crops of the areas you find troubling, and some information on the settings (ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc).

That will be a lot more helpful. Also, what AF mode are you using, what points are you using for AF, how are you shooting - do you pan an then shoot immediately after? Are you staying still and seeing the little green Hand sign come on to signify that the SR is working?

03-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #5

I have a K-5 and I use it with both AF and MF lenses and the focus indicators are usually spot on. CA is very lens dependent so it might be an issue with your lens rather than the camera body. Most lenses correct for cromatic aberrations on the focus plane with some fringing in the out of focus areas being common, so if your images are not focused this could be the reason you are seeing so much CA. If you are able to go to your camera store I would suggest you see if you can't test the lens on another body or try another lens on your body to see what is causing the problem.
03-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both of the lenses you mention are better opticaly but the Pentax 16-50 isnt that bad.
I think you will find its the K5s focus points though. The focus points are huge and dont corespond to the focus squares.
The centre focus point reaches out all the way to the semicircle marks for spot metering. Try again, using the ( ) as your focus point.
Also... turn the SR off.
With luck, this should do it !
03-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
Banned

Original Poster

Here is a crop.

ISO 100
16mm
1/1250 sec

03-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Both of the lenses you mention are better opticaly but the Pentax 16-50 isnt that bad.
I think you will find its the K5s focus points though. The focus points are huge and dont corespond to the focus squares.
The centre focus point reaches out all the way to the semicircle marks for spot metering. Try again, using the ( ) as your focus point.
Also... turn the SR off.
With luck, this should do it !
Not sure why I would not use one of the main selling points of the Pentax system.
03-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Strange. Almost exactly 16 hours before starting this thread you posted in another thread that you were "More than happy with the K5". What changed?
03-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The EXIF info would help- if you attach your photos here, it'll be visible.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Strange. Almost exactly 16 hours before starting this thread you posted in another thread that you were "More than happy with the K5". What changed?
I posted that I am a recent Pentax convert, don't think I posted anything about actually using the camera until today, seeing as I didn't have a lens until today to try it with.
03-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That seems VERY off - even for the 16-50mm at F2.8. It seems very odd - I'm not even sure if it's a focus issue - the EXIF says "subject distance: Far" and "approximate focus distance: 8". Searching around EXIFs from the same lens on Flickr, those two combinations seem like infinity focus (see example in link below):

All sizes | Storm Clouds in Sedona | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Something is going weird with your camera or lens.
03-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Better Image Quote
Oh yeah, and the in body image stabilization seems a bit lacking. I can't seem to get sharp photos hand held at 16mm, 2.8, 1/20 second
1/20 second is too slow for handheld shots for most people, in body on in lens stabilization not likely to help that much.

Purple fringing: first thing I noticed in the wide angle shots with this lens.

Sharpness: did not seem great but not as bad as you describe.

Pentax 16-50: its definitely disliked by a lot of people, especially considering its cost. I have rented it twice to see whether I would want to buy it. The lens is nicely built and I liked using it, but nowhere near the quality of the Pentax 50-135 lens. The tamron 17-50 of sigma 17-50 are much better rated. I am still debating to get one of the them one of these days.

Read this comparative review:
DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
03-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Better Image Quote
I posted that I am a recent Pentax convert, don't think I posted anything about actually using the camera until today, seeing as I didn't have a lens until today to try it with.
Okay, I just assumed "I am more than happy with the K5" meant you had actually used it.
03-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
Banned

Original Poster
Looking at some more of the samples I took, it seems that the 16mm end is very soft, even when I manual focus. The 50mm end seems just fine.
Closed Thread