Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Better Image Quote
Looking at some more of the samples I took, it seems that the 16mm end is very soft, even when I manual focus. The 50mm end seems just fine.
Can you try a stopped down (F5.6, F8) shot?

03-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which part of the pic is the crop and what proportion is the crop ?
16 mm at F2.8 is this lens worst setting possable and at F2.8 the DOF is going to be very shallow and there is no way of knowing where you actual focus spot was.
At this setting edge quality would be rather poor if that whats the crop is showing.
As for the SR..... Its fine to use on single considerd shots but it takes a couple of seconds to settle and will cause a lot of oomph pics if you shoot
a few pics in quick sucession.
03-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Okay, I just assumed "I am more than happy with the K5" meant you had actually used it.
I see where my post could have been confusing. I meant to say more than happy with the build quality. I am still very happy with that
03-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Which part of the pic is the crop and what proportion is the crop ?
16 mm at F2.8 is this lens worst setting possable and at F2.8 the DOF is going to be very shallow and there is no way of knowing where you actual focus spot was.
At this setting edge quality would be rather poor if that whats the crop is showing.
As for the SR..... Its fine to use on single considerd shots but it takes a couple of seconds to settle and will cause a lot of oomph pics if you shoot
a few pics in quick sucession.
This is a dead center crop, and at 16mm, f2.8 shouldn't cause such a shallow depth of field as to cause the whole center to be oof.

03-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Looking at the snap you posted, wow, that sucked! I mean really really sucked!

Before jumping to any conclusions though, you will need to post a properly exposed image. The snap you posted, the exposure appears to be pretty far off which makes it near impossible to draw any conclusion of the actual issue.
03-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #21
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Looking at the snap you posted, wow, that sucked! I mean really really sucked!

Before jumping to any conclusions though, you will need to post a properly exposed image. The snap you posted, the exposure appears to be pretty far off which makes it near impossible to draw any conclusion of the actual issue.
Under exposure or over exposure wouldn't cause such terrible softness.
03-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Under exposure or over exposure wouldn't cause such terrible softness.
Um, ya it would! As a matter of fact, it is one of the most important after issues with your lens.

03-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Again - the EXIF says it's far focus or infinity focus - I'm betting it is infinity focused. At far or infinity focus, and if it's a center crop, something in there should have been sharp at F2.8. I haven't had a lens do that to me wide open before, and I've had some cruddy lenses.

Something seems quite off with your lens. Please test at F5.6 or F8 and let us know.

When you manual focus, you say that it doesn't seem to get better - how are you checking your manual focus, with live-view?
03-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Are you sure you had it on AF for that picture???

I'm with joe.penn – can you give us a properly exposed image? We'll be able to tell a whole lot more...
03-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #25
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Um, ya it would! As a matter of fact, it is one of the most important.
I am sorry, but no, the exposure on this isn't so far off as to render the entire image oof. If a K-5 produced such oof images from a stop or two of under/over exposure, then I made a mistake by switching to it.

I will try some separate test shots.

I achieved manual focus with the in view finder focus confirmation.
03-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The only thing I can think of is if you took a number of images in quick succesion with SR on. It does seem simlar to some I took like this with the Tammy.
I too scratched my head for ages until someone on here said to try it. I kinda doubted it too, but he was right and Ive not had it since.
Just a thought !
03-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #27
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Are you sure you had it on AF for that picture???

I'm with joe.penn – can you give us a properly exposed image? We'll be able to tell a whole lot more...
Silly question, but yes, it was turned to AF.

I am going to go outside right now and retry some infinity shots at various apertures.
03-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I am sorry, but no, the exposure on this isn't so far off as to render the entire image oof. If a K-5 produced such oof images from a stop or two of under/over exposure, then I made a mistake by switching to it.

I will try some separate test shots.

I achieved manual focus with the in view finder focus confirmation.
Can you try in live-view on an object very far away? I ask this to understand the focus ring position when you get something far away in focus - if it works in live-view at all. In manual focusing, sometimes infinity is actually past infinity, so I want to know where your focus ring stops when you achieve "far away".

Can you shoot a very close object at 16mm?
03-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

It's not the K5 - the issue is either the lens (a bad copy) or the user; the issue can simply be identified with a properly exposed image.
03-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #30
Banned

Original Poster
A few more test shots coming in a few, but something I just now noticed. When I autofocus at 16mm at what should be infinity, it doesn't focus at infinity. When I am at 50mm it will autofocus to infinity.
Closed Thread