Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I don't really want transform these and add contacts. I just don't want the camera to default to f2.5 on every shot.
Sand the base (or foil the contacts), shoot in "M" mode and be done with it, just as I noted in my first post, pretty simple fix - works fine, works fine for many other users, so I am not sure why it wouldn't work fine for you. If you are using your on camera flash and are having exposure issues, stop down the aperture if over-exposing or up your ISO if you are under-exposing.

03-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Sand the base (or foil the contacts), shoot in "M" mode and be done with it, just as I noted in my first post, pretty simple fix - works fine, works fine for many other users, so I am not sure why it wouldn't work fine for you. If you are using your on camera flash and are having exposure issues, stop down the aperture if over-exposing or up your ISO if you are under-exposing.
There is no need to sand the base it is a metal mount. To shoot and have the aperture stop down, yes, shoot in m mode and set the lens using the aperture ring
03-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
There is no need to sand the base it is a metal mount
It's powder coated/anodized, it needs to be bare metal to short the contacts on the body or the foil needs to be used to short the contacts - without doing this the body thinks there is no lens attached and will not stop down the lens even in "M" mode...
03-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
There is no need to sand the base it is a metal mount.
It's very clear in the picture that it's a black anodized/painted mount on the tubes. Maybe you're looking at the top of them?

03-31-2012, 02:22 AM   #20
Forum Member

Here are some pics of the same set but then by Asahi. There are some differences, the inner diameter of the Kenko set is smaller and the mount which contacts the body is not anodized on the Asahi.

With manual lenses on this Asahi set it works flawless when you use the green button in M-mode for metering with any setting of the aperture ring before hitting the exposure button. You can actually see it quickly stop down to the preset aperture when you press the green button.

Since I don't know what is the effect of the anodized mount I cannot tell if it should be polished to bare metal for this mechanism to work. But you can try...

(I don't see the pics in the preview so here's the link to the album: Twarp's Album: Gear - PentaxForums.com )
03-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
It's very clear in the picture that it's a black anodized/painted mount on the tubes. Maybe you're looking at the top of them?
Yes the top is bare metal and the bottom is anodized, not sure what the advantage of that was but then again it was before the camera body had contacts so they didn't know is wasn't going to be convenient for me down the road.

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I took some 320 grit to the base of the longest section of the tubes and it is seems like it did the trick. I will do the same to the other two sections so I can use them all. Thanks for the info!!