Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #1

Which one DA 16-50 or DA 17-70?

During the past year I have been working shooting wedding,
I still find it difficult to believe but people have started paying for my works!!!
Any way thus far I have been working with a Signa 28-70 F2.8 and a Takumar 100 F4 (don't laugh at this but it is one of the most wonderfull portrait lens I have ever used).
The point is that since people has started pyaing good monay for may work I was considering some improvement in the equipments. The Sigma though being a good lens is not so fast to find the focus and honestly the 2.8 can seldom be used since the quality it is not impressive.
So I was thinking at one of the above but my worries are...
The 16-50 could be a little short sometime, while the 17-70 is only F4 and it worries me if it will create good boaken.

Any suggestion would be appreciated

thanks

03-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

1. Sell the Sigma 28-70 and get the wedding photographers' 'standard' lens the Tamron 28-75/2.8, better, sharper and excellent wide open.

2. You don't need the length if you have one of the lenses above so the Pentax 16-50, Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 17-50 (new version) on your second camera would be perfect, these are all constant f2.8 lenses.
03-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
1. Sell the Sigma 28-70 and get the wedding photographers' 'standard' lens the Tamron 28-75/2.8, better, sharper.
That's very bad advice you are giving. You don't even ask which version of Sigma he owns and you try to push him for the sh*tty fiddly Tamron. I compared the older version of Sigma to the Tamron and selected Sigma. It is not much softer and it has much better bokeh and awesome built quality.

For the shorter lens, f2.8 is much preferred for wedding. But with K-5 it is not a must. I'd go for Pentax 16-50 or one of the 17-50 and try to fine-adjust focus on the 28-70 because it can be very good when focused precisely.
03-28-2012, 02:20 AM   #4

Hi there. It might be worth waiting if you can? There's a new DA* 18-85 on the roadmap that could just be the one! I'm certainly very interested in this one :-)

03-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Double Post.
03-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
That's very bad advice you are giving. You don't even ask which version of Sigma he owns and you try to push him for the sh*tty fiddly Tamron. I compared the older version of Sigma to the Tamron and selected Sigma. It is not much softer and it has much better bokeh and awesome built quality.
It would only be bad advice if it was wrong - it isn't. Maybe you have a Sigma and love it, then good for you. The OP has one and doesn't like it (something you conveniently ignore) whereas the Tamron is almost universally (you aside) praised for it's performance. The fact so many wedding shooters have it says something doesn't it. The OP can make his own mind up by checking out the Tammy thread on here. Pictures speak louder than your words or mine.

To the OP check out the Tammy thread and see for yourself.

Last edited by Frogfish; 03-28-2012 at 03:19 AM.
03-28-2012, 03:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

the upcoming (hopefully it will) DA* might be the perfect one lens project. (assuming it will an f2.8 or faster)
03-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If people are paying for your work with the equipment you have why change?

That siad I have the DA* 16~50/2.8 and find it ot be an excellent lens. No SDM issues with my copy - a least not yet.

Tom G

03-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Frogfish - do you have personal experience with both mentioned f2,8 zooms? Or do you just repeat what you read somewhere on the web? The OP can do the internet research for himself. I was reporting what I actually observed comparing two physical lenses.
03-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions,
just to mention I would like to improve to give a better product,
I feel it very wrong to be satisfied with the money you can get, though it does help ;-)
03-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Frogfish - do you have personal experience with both mentioned f2,8 zooms? Or do you just repeat what you read somewhere on the web? The OP can do the internet research for himself. I was reporting what I actually observed comparing two physical lenses.
The Tamron yes on Canon for paid shoots, the Sigma no. However are you one of those people that say tests and reviews performed by reputable testing sites and quality photographers posting their experiences are irrelevant and that your own opinion, regardless of your actual experience, is the only thing that carries any weight ? Despite empirical evidence to the contrary ? I'm speaking in the 3rd person there.

I understand some people are defensive of the lenses they own. But your own dismissive and derogatory comments re. Tamron 28-75 are completely contrary to not only my experience but also the evidence presented right here on this forum, never mind the internet at large.

The only thing I didn't like about the Tamron is it's a little noisy focusing. Build quality is far from crappy and the Tamron's IQ is really excellent (as it is on the 17-50). Sigma's use of the near silent HSM may be of value to some but you pay for it, a quick check showing it to be roughly US$400 more expensive than the Tamron or in others words the OP could buy both Tamron's for the price of the Sigma !

This little 'discussion' is probably not helping the OP I fear.
03-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sorry I just can't understand how you can tell someone to sell a lens and buy other lens instead without having personal experience with both. And not even knowing which lens he exactly has (there are 2 very different versions of Sigma 28-70/2.8).
I do suggest the OP to see if the Tamron siuts him better, but he can save himslf a lot of money if he just checks the AF microadjustment with the Sigma.
03-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sorry I just can't understand how you can tell someone to sell a lens and buy other lens instead without having personal experience with both. And not even knowing which lens he exactly has (there are 2 very different versions of Sigma 28-70/2.8).
I do suggest the OP to see if the Tamron siuts him better, but he can save himslf a lot of money if he just checks the AF microadjustment with the Sigma.
See my comments in the post above. I guess you are one of those guys. You only have to read this forum day in day out to know that there are very few lenses you will ever find consensus on .... and that includes the FA Limiteds. Fact is you are ignoring the weight of empirical evidence presented to you based solely on your experience of one lens of each, and we all know how that can go. I have had a positive experience of the Tamron and there is a lot of support for that in the form of professional reviews and the opinions of others on here and elsewhere, you seem determined not to consider that, and by all means, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I expressed mine and you stated it was bad advice and the Tamron is a shi##y lens ..... you are very clearly mistaken on both counts in holding that opinion.

To the OP, read the 46 reviews on the Tamron 28-75 here for a start ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-28-75mm-f2-8-af-xr-di-ld-macro-sp.html ). The vast majority are 9/10 and 10/10 with the odd person holding an opinion similar to Elho-Cid dragging the overall score down slightly. There is a sample variation so make sure you try 2 or 3 if at all possible before deciding on one.

Last edited by Frogfish; 03-28-2012 at 12:19 PM.