Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New Pentax Pricing & SDM Debacle

How does it sit with people that Pentax is poised to raise pricing yet hasn't addressed SDM quality concerns?

03-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well technically it isn't raising pricing, but ensuring that Authorized Pentax sellers do not undercut other Authorized Pentax sellers.

The SDM concern is not good though. I would at least like to be assured that SDM won't fail in future lenses (or even currently made ones) in the high percentages that something like the DA*16-50 has, or maybe even the replacement of SDM.

It is quiet though.
03-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
True, but the result is that we'll likely pay more for Pentax glass in the future. So, as customers of B&H, Adorama and Amazon are concerned... prices are going up.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Well technically it isn't raising pricing, but ensuring that Authorized Pentax sellers do not undercut other Authorized Pentax sellers.

The SDM concern is not good though. I would at least like to be assured that SDM won't fail in future lenses (or even currently made ones) in the high percentages that something like the DA*16-50 has, or maybe even the replacement of SDM.

It is quiet though.
03-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My personal, and very unlikely, hope is that Pentax will ensure that the minimum price they are enforcing will be equal or at minimum a small increase from the current street prices we see on Adorama/B&H or Amazon. Especially on their currently produced lenses.

The older lenses that are discontinued would be affected at all, AFAIK.

03-29-2012, 01:48 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is another step in Ricoh's plan to expand the reach and market share of the Pentax brand. We cannot on the one hand complain that Pentax USA does nothing, gives horrible service and doesn't support local retailers, and on the other hand complain when Pentax Ricoh Imaging USA advertises for a trade-show and dealer support Rep. and begins to install dealer-support pricing, You can have one or the other. You can't have both.

And you can't have a FF camera without pro local support and service. Add two and Two.

Ricoh has a plan.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-29-2012 at 02:46 PM.
03-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

How do you know Pentax haven't already addressed the SDM issue. Complaints certainly seem to be down if these boards are anything to go by. And you seriously wouldn't expect Pentax to come out with a statement on SDM would you. Or would you ?!
03-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
How do you know Pentax haven't already addressed the SDM issue. Complaints certainly seem to be down if these boards are anything to go by. And you seriously wouldn't expect Pentax to come out with a statement on SDM would you. Or would you ?!
It's an unfortunate thing - I do like reassurance. Right now, I won't get a DA*16-50 to replace my Sigma 17-70 mainly because of the SDM failure stories I've heard with that lens. It's an unfortunate fear for me.

I will get a DA*55 though.

03-29-2012, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

From my perspective, SDM is a fabricated issue. No manufacturer has a 100% success rate with lenses. I haven't heard of a recent SDM failure in the last 6 months. Every product ever made has warranties to protect consumers against the inevitable factory defects. I didn't listen to the SDM complainers on the forum went ahead and laid out close to 2 K for a DA*60-250 (with polarizing filter and tax) and have been happy ever since. Listening to the complainers would have cost me a lot of happiness, because this is an awesome lens. Everyone makes their own choices, but, no one can guarantee you won't get a lemon, with any product. Buy the logic of the SDM complainers no one should ever buy another car. They are notorious for producing the odd very expensive lemon and not supporting them. Most of us are still driving cars. Suck it up and live a little every now and then. There are no guarantees in life... and SDM failure is one of the minor failures as far as I can tell.
03-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Pentax should fix any SDM failures in my opinion, quickly and free of charge. Defective goods !
Its oviously a design defect. With luck they will bin it and bring out a better performing lens to replace it.
Ive a feeling there will be huge improvemts in all departments very soon.
03-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
How does it sit with people that Pentax is poised to raise pricing yet hasn't addressed SDM quality concerns?
How many SDM failures have you read about in the past half year or so?
03-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Debacle? IMHO a rather harsh choice of words, that.
03-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fabricated? Maybe, but if I was Pentax I would have released SDM2 (DA XX "now with SDM2") or such because this must be hurting. I live in NZ and getting Pentax products fixed can be an even more lengthy process - I would not take the risk on an SDM lens at this point (although to be fair my budget is pretty limited at the moment anyway).
03-29-2012, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
It's an unfortunate thing - I do like reassurance. Right now, I won't get a DA*16-50 to replace my Sigma 17-70 mainly because of the SDM failure stories I've heard with that lens. It's an unfortunate fear for me.

I will get a DA*55 though.
I just did exactly that - sold the siggy 17-70 and bought the 16 - 50 - and am very happy I did. I have no fear of SDM issues. I think it is more molehill than mountain.
03-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Maybe, but if I was Pentax I would have released SDM2 (DA XX "now with SDM2") or such because this must be hurting. I live in NZ and getting Pentax products fixed can be an even more lengthy process - I would not take the risk on an SDM lens at this point (although to be fair my budget is pretty limited at the moment anyway).
Maybe it's just you. The guy who sold me my 21 ltd a year ago gave me a very good price on it. He was so happy with his 16-50 he didn't use the 21 ltd anymore. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. The guy who sold me my K-5 told me I should really buy an extended warranty because of the stains issue. I honestly think that a lot of people push these issues because they are actually in a position to make money from them. Others are just honestly very cautious.
03-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
SDM a fabricated issue? That might be a stretch. Exaggerated may be more accurate.

I have two SDM lenses (55 and 17-70) and while crude compared to comparable Canon glass in terms of AF, I haven't had any problems.

My position on the pricing issue is that Ricoh is looking to level the playing field among dealers.