Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #31
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Pentax second-hand market is crap, most of the old lenses are overpriced. It can be due to low numbers on market, to higher number of "collectors" than other brand, whatever. People seem to love to spend lots of cash on old manual lenses, designed for film.
The older Pentax MF lenses are better built and will last for decades. That's why they hold their price and sometimes sell for more than the newer equivalent. They may seem overpriced if they are used on an APS-C sensor, as you are getting less of an angel of view. In truth most people using these older MF lenses on an APS-C DSLR don’t really know how good they actually are, try them on a film camera and you will see.

If Pentax ever releases a FF DSLR the prices for these older lens prices will go up even higher.

Phil.

03-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yurko_yr Quote
And this sigma is not only example. Two Tokina SD 400/5.6 went for over 600 USD and sigma non-apo AF 400/5.6 was sold for over 450 USD. What is going on?
A large part of it could be from new Pentax converts that don't have the knowledge base and endup in bidding wars.
03-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I watched this auction because I would absolutely love to have one of these and even though I knew I'd never be able to afford it I wanted to see the final price since they never come up for sale. But this is just F'ing nuts. Sorry if this breaks some rule or other but I HAD to post this one. All I can think of is people with 6 digit incomes for whom this is pocket change are getting big time into film photography because that's really the only practical application for this is on an old 35mm film body. What the hell happened to the industry where college kids could afford to buy in and still get decent stuff.

Pentax-A SMC 15mm f/3.5 Manual Camera Lens, Rare Asahi Optical, No Res.! | eBay

I don't even know what to say to that.
This lens is one of the crown jewels of all time for Pentax. It wasn't made in large numbers and was an expensive lens when it was in production. It is still a very good lens and is a work of art. If I were to create a top 10 list for Pentax k-mount manual focus lenses, this one would be in the top 5.
03-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I don't believe anyone in the above posts have mentioned the decline in "real value" of the dollar. You may have noticed the substantial increases in commodities from the era when some of these old timeless legacy lenses were produced. To produce them today the prices would likely be close to the used market today. The build, quality, scarcity, condition and collectability are what drive the realities of any market. If you buy one of the legacies at a reasonable current price, the odds are it will retain it's "real value" while the current new bottom line stuff slides in value. If you are lucky to find one laying on a blanket on the ground at a swap meet or rummage sale more power too you and happy shopping. Old Ferraris with 4 tires are not priced like your old Pinto with 4 tires.

03-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
After considering it, I think in the end I will never buy one, even when FF Pentax arrives. I just can't see the difference in shots with that lens compared to similar being worth the huge price difference. Plus with its high price and extreme scarcity I would be deathly afraid to actually use it and lug it around in my bag like the rest of my A lenses, which makes its practical value zero. I could see if I was rich and a collector, but for the practical shooter I'm not sure its a good choice. Kinda like the 50mm 1.2 which is pretty solidly in the $600 range now for an A version. My 1.4 costs 1/3 of that and is much more common so I'm not afraid to hang upside over a waterfall with it to get a shot, and going from 1.2 to 1.4 is a fairly negligible difference (even the 1.7 is a great lens).
03-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #36
Veteran Member

After considering it, I think in the end I will never buy one, even when FF Pentax arrives. I just can't see the difference in shots with that lens compared to similar being worth the huge price difference. Plus with its high price and extreme scarcity I would be deathly afraid to actually use it and lug it around in my bag like the rest of my A lenses, which makes its practical value zero. I could see if I was rich and a collector, but for the practical shooter I'm not sure its a good choice. Kinda like the 50mm 1.2 which is pretty solidly in the $600 range now for an A version. My 1.4 costs 1/3 of that and is much more common so I'm not afraid to hang upside over a waterfall with it to get a shot, and going from 1.2 to 1.4 is a fairly negligible difference (even the 1.7 is a great lens).
Well, what I'm after IS seeing a difference if I pay that much $. I'm not a collector. (Although my wife may argue that point.)
03-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I think the old lenses are getting slightly more expensive lately for two reasons:
1. There is a sort of global economic crisis, so some people are drawn to slightly cheaper lenses, especially with camera bodies being fairly common and cheap nowadays
2. Hipsters. People love the "vintage" look some lenses produce and the cred they get from using them.
03-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #38
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think the old lenses are getting slightly more expensive lately for two reasons:
1. There is a sort of global economic crisis, so some people are drawn to slightly cheaper lenses, especially with camera bodies being fairly common and cheap nowadays
2. Hipsters. People love the "vintage" look some lenses produce and the cred they get from using them.
Its how the lenses "look" when mounted to the yellow K-01

03-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Thing is if you are looking for the FOV the A15 is designed for you ned to look for something in the 10mm range. pretty much meaning a zoom since there are no rectilinear 10mm primes. if you are looking for the FOV on apsc just get a bower 14 2.8 great lens under $300 (and it's FF for when FF comes along, unlike my Pentax 14) sometimes the value just isn't in the old lenses
03-30-2012, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter

I have a K 28mm f2 and I use that puppy.
03-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi to all,
I have the same concern. The same seller sold Sigma 100-300/4 in K mount for 1470 USD. Yes, it is amazing and very rare lens. But 1470USD!!!! It is really strange. Why K mount lenses are more expensive than the same lenses for other systems? Is it because of there rarity?
So you're he one who raised my final winning price

That particular lens is quite rare. I'd been waiting for it to become available for over a year, it almost never shows up. The last one that did show up on eBay sold for about the same price. But it's really not that expensive for such a lens when you put it in perspective:

- Pentax 60-250mm F4: $1250 (will likely be about $1350 soon)
- Nikon 300mm F4: $1370
- Canon 100-400mm F4.5-5.6: $1600

And none of those are any "better", they just suit different purposes. In my case, the Sigma 100-300mm F4 suits my purposes perfectly and was necessary, so I acquired it. You don't want to know what my max bid was...

And for the record, I don't have a 6-figure salary... not even close.
03-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations, Frank.
No, I did not bid on that lens, was just watching coz I already have one. Combined with sigma 1.4 TC in is simply incredible. It I hope it will suite your needs and you will enjoy it. What bothers me that the same lens in canon mount you can get for twice less. One of the reasons why I got Pentax was the possibility to get really good lenses cheaper than similar in other systems. But now it seems to be changed in many cases. Yes, you still can get new DA primes for very reasonable price, but prices for many lenses that have been discontinued are rising more and more. I am really curious what people think what are reasons for this.
Anyway – have a great time with this beauty.
Yuriy
03-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Hey, you lucky guys that got a Sigma APO 100-300 zoom...post some of the photos so we can see what all the hubub is about. I keep trying to aquire one, but alas they always seem to escape me.
03-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations, Frank.
No, I did not bid on that lens, was just watching coz I already have one. Combined with sigma 1.4 TC in is simply incredible. It I hope it will suite your needs and you will enjoy it. What bothers me that the same lens in canon mount you can get for twice less. One of the reasons why I got Pentax was the possibility to get really good lenses cheaper than similar in other systems. But now it seems to be changed in many cases. Yes, you still can get new DA primes for very reasonable price, but prices for many lenses that have been discontinued are rising more and more. I am really curious what people think what are reasons for this.
Anyway have a great time with this beauty.
Yuriy
the reason prices on some lenses are rising more and more is probably due to a couple of things. first there are a number of lenses with no modern equivalent that are excellent lenses FA*24 f2.0, FA*28-70 f2.8, FA* 80-200 f2.8 for example. all these lenses would be easily available in canon nikon and sony mounts, but in Pentax mount there is only third party options that in many cases don't stand up to these lenses (though may well be better than the step down versions). If they were to relaunch some of these they would most likely sell for a lot of money so the used market ones would not drop in value much, it would just be easier to find a lens.
The other reason of course is a growing number of newer users who have advanced and now want these lenses

Older MF lenses may have rising prices for other reasons of course (like canon users bidding on them too)
03-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #45
Pentaxian

but prices for many lenses that have been discontinued are rising more and more. I am really curious what people think what are reasons for this.
Some of the rise in lens prices can be blamed on sites like this one, which propagate information about Pentax lenses. All those posters who wax enthusiastic about this or that vintage lens drive up demand, and hence price. After all, we're not seeing prices rising on the M 50/2 or M 28/2.8, because, while those lenses have their partisans, they have also have their detractors. But prices are being pushed up on lenses that are almost universally praised, such as the K 35/3.5 and the A 35-105/3.5. A year and a half ago a K 35/3.5 sold for $180 on ebay, which is about the price of a brand new DA 35/2.4! The K 35/3.5 receives a rating of 9.72 over at the PF review section, one of the highest ratings for a non-speciality, non-star manual focus prime lens. I suspect the high rating had something to do with that price.