Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Vintage lens prices occationally get a tad cracked.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I watched this auction because I would absolutely love to have one of these and even though I knew I'd never be able to afford it I wanted to see the final price since they never come up for sale. But this is just F'ing nuts. Sorry if this breaks some rule or other but I HAD to post this one. All I can think of is people with 6 digit incomes for whom this is pocket change are getting big time into film photography because that's really the only practical application for this is on an old 35mm film body. What the hell happened to the industry where college kids could afford to buy in and still get decent stuff.

Pentax-A SMC 15mm f/3.5 Manual Camera Lens, Rare Asahi Optical, No Res.! | eBay

I don't even know what to say to that.

03-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

15mm FF for $1000? That doesn't sound absolutely ridiculous to me...?
03-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's average price for that particular one, the $800 or so noted in the reviews section here is pretty light. The Takumar version of this lens (which is the version right before this one I believe with the same optical formula) goes for around $2,000 if you can find it...
03-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks ballpark right for an A version in more or less unmarked condition.

03-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Is it any sharper than what we got now? If so, I'd have jumped on it.
03-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UGH, this is so depressing, its the one A lens I REALLY want but can't afford other than those with a * involved or the telescopes disguised as lenses. I had heard a lot of stories of people paying 500-600 range for these used (non auction of course.) Why would someone pay this much? Film usage like I thought? With no Pentax FF digital out there its a tad pointless since it ends up being like a 24mm or something instead of almost a fisheye. As soon as we get 100% solid word from Pentax on a FF digital I'm going to be all over one of these and I'd be willing to pay whatever it takes in that case.
03-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens DatabaseSMC-Pentax-A-15mm-F3.5-Lens.html

Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens DatabaseSMC-Pentax-K-15mm-F3.5-Lens.html

Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens DatabaseSMC-Takumar-15mm-F3.5.html

03-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
UGH, this is so depressing, its the one A lens I REALLY want but can't afford other than those with a * involved or the telescopes disguised as lenses. I had heard a lot of stories of people paying 500-600 range for these used (non auction of course.) Why would someone pay this much? Film usage like I thought? With no Pentax FF digital out there its a tad pointless since it ends up being like a 24mm or something instead of almost a fisheye. As soon as we get 100% solid word from Pentax on a FF digital I'm going to be all over one of these and I'd be willing to pay whatever it takes in that case.
The buyers of these lenses must be thinking there's going to a larger sensor dSLR in 2013. By the time there's 100% solid word from Pentax everything good will be out away. (Actually, looking at prices of all Takumars, and recently older K-mount manual, most of it is already put away). Something similar happened with 645 lenses in the months prior to the 645D.

It is another of the many unrelated, small signs.
03-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Or it could be a Canon FF shooter who is going to cut off the aperture lever.
03-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Why would someone pay this much? Film usage like I thought? With no Pentax FF digital out there its a tad pointless since it ends up being like a 24mm or something instead of almost a fisheye.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The buyers of these lenses must be thinking there's going to a larger sensor dSLR in 2013.
The reason is they are bought for use as DSLR Video Lenses - these smc 15's are pretty well known on the DSLR video market, known as some of the best DSLR Video glass that can be had...
03-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

KEH have an A15/3.5 in "BGN" condition for $1120:
Pentax Manual Focus Fixed Focal Length Lenses - KEH.com
The shipping is free.
03-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess I just have trouble with this one considering that its into the new lens price (the GOOD new lens price).
Amazon.com: Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM ELD SLD Aspherical Super Wide Angle Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
Amazon.com: Sigma 14mm f/2.8 EX HSM RF Aspherical Ultra Wide Angle Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
Amazon.com: Pentax SMC 15mm f/4.0 DA ED AL Limited Wide Angle Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
Some examples all about half that price, I'm sure when FF Pentax comes out there will be other new lenses that will probably still be cheaper than the 15mm A and likely also faster.

Does make one wonder what the new digital FF lens lineup will be like though. They wont have to use all these ridiculous 10mm or less lenses anymore just to get a real wide angle.
03-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go to Kevincameras.com and find the m42 Gallery and the K-mount Gallery. Collectors are willing to pay those prices just to have the lens because Kevin's is often the only place to get it, or because it has a unique feature of some kind (consecutive serial #, limited edition). Have fun with it - you'll see a few things you won't see elsewhere.

His K15/3.5 is $2,000 and has much more use marks.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-29-2012 at 09:18 PM.
03-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I guess I just have trouble with this one considering that its into the new lens price (the GOOD new lens price).
Amazon.com: Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM ELD SLD Aspherical Super Wide Angle Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
Amazon.com: Sigma 14mm f/2.8 EX HSM RF Aspherical Ultra Wide Angle Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
Amazon.com: Pentax SMC 15mm f/4.0 DA ED AL Limited Wide Angle Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
Some examples all about half that price, I'm sure when FF Pentax comes out there will be other new lenses that will probably still be cheaper than the 15mm A and likely also faster.

Does make one wonder what the new digital FF lens lineup will be like though. They wont have to use all these ridiculous 10mm or less lenses anymore just to get a real wide angle.

Hell, the 13mm Nikon reportedly goes for $8k or so. The 10-20 and the 15mm above are APS-C only. Much, much easier to do a 15mm APS-C than a 15mm FF. Heck, Pentax has a 8mm Q lens available for, what, the equivalent of $150 or so? Small sensors make wide angle easy.
03-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery
Hi to all,
I have the same concern. The same seller sold Sigma 100-300/4 in K mount for 1470 USD. Yes, it is amazing and very rare lens. But 1470USD!!!! It is really strange. Why K mount lenses are more expensive than the same lenses for other systems? Is it because of there rarity?
Best regards,
Yuriy