Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Difference between the Sigma 18-50's?

Forgive me if these lenses have been discussed ad nauseum, but I couldn't find the answer to my question.

I reluctantly let go of the 16-45 because it was just too slow for most of the situations I find myself in. I can't quite justify $800 or so for the 16-50, so that leaves the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 as a more affordable alternative. The thing is, there are two versions of this lens, the later adding aspherical elements low dispersion glass, and having greater close-focus ability. There is also a $130 difference between them:

Amazon.com: Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 EX DC Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics
Amazon.com: Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC SLD ELD Aspherical Macro Lens for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Has anyone used both lenses? Is the newer iteration really worth the extra $130?

Since I still shoot film, I am also tempted by the 24-70 f/2.8 instead of an 18-50, but I'm worried that it's just a monster. Anyone care to lend their insight?

01-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From what I've read, the newer macro version is the one to get. Here's an older thread about the two lenses. Apparently, the non-macro version of the lens has a yellowish tint which is fixed in the macro version.

EDIT: By the way, I dropped off your 20mm in the mail today.
01-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by igowerf Quote
From what I've read, the newer macro version is the one to get. Here's an older thread about the two lenses. Apparently, the non-macro version of the lens has a yellowish tint which is fixed in the macro version.

EDIT: By the way, I dropped off your 20mm in the mail today.
Man, how is it that I am such a moron with my search terms. I totally missed that one.

Can't wait for the lens -- I've been searching for a good film-compatible replacement for the DA21 for a long time...
01-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter

The search on these forums is a bit hard to use, especially with the character limit prevent us from searching for something like "50mm".

Often, I just use Google to search the forums: "pentaxforums 18-50mm sigma"

01-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Apparently, the non-macro version of the lens has a yellowish tint which is fixed in the macro version.
I've only seen a few posts (in one thread) about a yellow tint. Nothing mentioned from everyone else, though. Mine's fine. Very popular.

When Photodo reviewed the older version, it was the sharpest (at 24mm) they had ever tested. They did not mention a yellow tint.
01-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I've only seen a few posts (in one thread) about a yellow tint. Nothing mentioned from everyone else, though. Mine's fine. Very popular.

When Photodo reviewed the older version, it was the sharpest (at 24mm) they had ever tested. They did not mention a yellow tint.
Ah. Good to know. The 18-50mm non-macro is getting pretty cheap now. I've seen them on KEH and eBay for $300 or less.
01-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by igowerf Quote
Ah. Good to know. The 18-50mm non-macro is getting pretty cheap now. I've seen them on KEH and eBay for $300 or less.
I have the urge to gloat here: I bid on a six-month old MACRO version late last year via Ebay for under $60 AU .... and won it!

I almost felt bad for the seller. But I got over that.

Holding my breath and hoping there isn't some massive fault yet to be found, but it seems to be in perfect working order.

I'm interested by the older thread's comment about the yellow tint. Will watch out for that. Hopefully it's something that can be easily corrected via software.