Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #1

just ordered the 50-135

I just placed my order tonight for the Pentax 50-135. I've been putting it off because of the SDM failure concern and I wasn't sure that this was the best range for me. Anyway, the reviews have been glowing for this lens and I don't think the price will probably go much lower ($849). I did not buy an extended warranty but I get an extra year through my credit card company so it will be warrantied at least for two years, giving me a little more peace of mind. I hope I made a good decision, it's a lot of money. I also ordered a Marumi DHG lens protect filter. I know some people say not to use filters but I can give it a try and if I don't like it I can take it off and not use it. I got a Pentax AF-540 flash last week, so now I'll have some exciting new equipment to play with.

03-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats, the price is probably going up actually, and if the price miraculously went down your seller would likely give you the difference.
03-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on a stellar lens. Don't fret about SDM failures. The incidences of them have greatly reduced in the last year or so as far as I can work out. I think the issue is overblown now. Every lens manufacturer has issue. Canon and Nikon have in lens IS failures for example, but we don't hear much about them on this forum because, well, this is a Pentax Forum. Enjoy your new toys.
03-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've had mine for 3 or 4 years now without issue, and wiz is right, the complaints have for the most part disappeared.

03-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just purchased a used copy of the DA*50-135 for the same reasons. With young kids soon starting sports, concerts, etc, I wanted something fast and flexible. I figured the price would only start going up.

I'm looking forward to my new gear.