Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Is this a good find?

Locally I have came across offering of the below listed items as a package with $200 price on it and wonder if it is worth looking at. Thanks for your opinions.

Andy

PENTAX SP1000
PENTAX 55mm f2
PENTAX 35mm f3.5
80-200mm Zoom f3.5
TAMRON 35-80mm Macro Zoom f2.8
All lenes have UV filters on them
2X Tele-converter
Set of filter style close up lenses: +1, +2, +3
Aluminum suitcase and large soft-sided bag

01-14-2008, 02:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Andy, it all comes down to condition with older cameras and lenses.

You're looking at M42 screwmount gear, and I'd strongly recommend finding out when the last CLA (Cleaning, Lubricating, and Adjusting) was done on the camera's shutter, at least. Also, look for dings and scratches on everything, and test for smooth operation of focus, aperture, and zoom rings. Verify full range of diaphragm opening/closing and auto diaphragm operation, where present.

The "full kit" package, especially the inclusion of aluminum and soft-bag cases, suggests the current and any former owners were reasonably serious photogs, so there's a chance that the gear is well-cared for. If so, $200 for a package like the one you list sounds like a good deal. I still shoot the Spotmatic system I put together in the early '70s with great results, so I know that a set-up like the one you're looking at can still deliver. Caveat emptor, and good hunting for those classic Pentaxes!
01-14-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If everything is mechanically sound and the lenses are free of fogging and fungus, then it sounds like a very nice deal. In addition to what Christine said, you will also want to check to see if the Spotmatic's meter is functional or not.
01-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Of the lenses, I briefly tried out the 55/2 and found it excellent.

If the Tamron 35-80 is the SP Adaptall 2.8-3.8 you'll have a gem, I find it competetive not only with modern zooms but with primes. Plus, if it comes with the 'A' pentax adaptor, the adaptor by itself is worth $100+ (given the logic of ebay, attached to the lens it's worth less...) I've had this lens since '85 and it really is special.

I've got some image samples of the 35-80 vs. 16-45 and 43 Ltd on pbase:
lens_testing Photo Gallery by jussi at pbase.com

Last edited by Nesster; 01-14-2008 at 09:50 AM.
01-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you Everyone, I'll have to take a look at that equipment in person.

Take care
andy