Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
49mm CPL filter

I have been trying to source a Marumi DHG-Super circ-polariser in 49mm.
Their web site lists it as an available product, but I cannot seem to find anyone that has it in stock.
The smallest one listed on various sellers sites is 52mm.
Has anyone else come across this?
What would you recommend as a good alternative to Marumi (which I like better than Hoya)?
Cheers.

04-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Ok, I know you're in Oz, but plenty of suppliers list them here in the UK. Could you (a) get a quote from a UK supplier, or (b) if you know anyone here, get them to buy and post to you?
04-01-2012, 03:19 AM   #3

Do you want to buy from the UK? These guys have the two DHG variants. I am about to order one of these, I have had very good use out of the DHG lens protect filters from Marumi so I expect the CPL to be as good.

Search results for: 'marumi 49 circ'
04-01-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply guys.
It is the DHG Super circular version that I am after - much better than the cheaper model.
Looks like UK might be my only option if I do not find one locally.
I actually do have a friend living in London so I might get him to get one for me if I do not find one locally soon.
Cheers

04-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

However...what other lenses do you have? I bought a 77mm to use on my 12-24, and use step-down rings to fit the filter on other lenses.

Down side - can't use smaller lens hoods, plus more expensive.

Up side - I only need/have one CPL filter.

I get round the lens hood issue by shielding the lens with my hand or a piece of card. Plenty of times I've found I've had to do this anyway, even without the filter and using the correct lens hood, especially if shooting 'contre jour'.
04-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just found one on ebay from Hong Kong seller for Au$68 posted - ordered it.
04-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just curious why cant you get the 52 and use step up rings? 49mm is hard to find because most of the newer standard lens are 52 or 55. 49 was more common on older lenses.

04-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have three lenses with 49mm thread. If I use a step-up ring, as well as being an additional cost, it would also prevent me from using the original lens caps.
That is, unless I take the filter / step-up ring combination off the lens after every use, which I would find a nuisance.
Another reason is that this would increase the distance between the filter and front lens element, and I believe that the closer you can have the filter element to the lens, the better.