Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #1

New DA 15, is it problem or it is normal ?

Hi everyone.

Recently I bought DA 15. It is my second prime after DA 40. I took some pictures with DA 15 and it looks for me that it has some sort of "barrel distortion". I am new in photography and that is why I am asking you for help.
So my question is, is it problem with my DA 15 or it is lack of my knowledge
I have enabled profile corrections in Lightroom.

Thank you for your help.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter

That is common with ultra wide angles. The DA15 has about 3% barrel distortion a little more than it should. Comprimises have to be made somewhere... If you shoot jpeg it can be corrected in camera or you can fix it in pp, if you shoot a lot of buildings/landscape and it bugs you another lens might be a bit better. The DA15 is not too pricey, very compact and well-made. It is very sharp and super super flare resistant but it does have a bit of distortion
04-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just a tip, if you want the least distortion, your camera must be level with the centre of your subject. Your room shot looks like you were much higher, shooting downwards. Vertical shots will show less distortion in many shots
04-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
The DA15 has about 3% barrel distortion a little more than it should.
Photozone and Optyczne/Lenstip measured 1.4% barrel distortion:

Pentax SMC-DA 15mm f/4 AL ED Limited - Review / Test Report - Analysis

http://www.lenstip.com/312.6-Lens_review-Pentax_smc_DA_15_mm_f_4_ED_AL_Limited__Distortion.html

04-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #5

Barrel distortion is only an issue with last week's $500 copy of this lens. This week's $650 version is MUCH better I'm sure! NOT!
04-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
arv
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I guess it is called "converging verticals", not barrel distortion, and depends on camera position. Check this tutorial.

A.
04-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
I guess it is called "converging verticals", not barrel distortion, and depends on camera position. Check this tutorial.

A.
ahhhhh
04-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you so much for all of your replies. You are always so helpful.
It looks like instead of blaming lenses I have to learn A LOT !

04-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krendel154 Quote
Thank you so much for all of your replies. You are always so helpful.
It looks like instead of blaming lenses I have to learn A LOT !
The DA 15 is not always an easy lens to use. Because of it's wide FOV, it can exhibit the Keystone effect. Once you learn the ins and outs of the lens (as I am working on) you'll learn how to make it work for you.
04-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clones123 Quote
Barrel distortion is only an issue with last week's $500 copy of this lens. This week's $650 version is MUCH better I'm sure! NOT!
Wow mine just arrived last week and I paid the $509 price. At $649.00 it will feel like a much better lens.

Like Kendrel154 I have a lot to learn about the lens. So far I've been pleased with the results. I agree the key is to keep it level, and make sure that there is something reasonably close if taking landscapes. Also, the distortion can be a lot of fun. I think this lens will grow on me.

And the star-burst effect is great too. Just point it at the sun and shoot! I'll refine my technique but here is my first one.
04-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
Forum Member

WTH?!?! I was going to buy this lens two weeks ago. Then a pretty incredible opportunity came up for some furniture and flooring and I jumped on it, figuring it was a one-time-only opportunity, while the price of the lens should be pretty stable.

A sudden 30% increase in price is NOT COOL. Like, ever.
04-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by intjonmiller Quote
WTH?!?! I was going to buy this lens two weeks ago. Then a pretty incredible opportunity came up for some furniture and flooring and I jumped on it, figuring it was a one-time-only opportunity, while the price of the lens should be pretty stable.

A sudden 30% increase in price is NOT COOL. Like, ever.
Give it a few weeks and I'm sure it will be back down again. B & H seem to sell the DA 15 and the 12-24 particularly low compared to anywhere else.
04-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Barell distortion is common in most wide angle lenses, however because it is usually constant, it can easily be corrected in photoshop or lightroom. Just turn lens profile correction on and that should do the trick