Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Prices in the Forum Lens Review Section

I reckon this is a question specifically targeted at Adam...

Is the price column in the lens review section kept up to date?

I work in Sterling(GBP) rather than USD but have always been able to roughly gauge the worth of lenses until recently...

I know there are going to be replies regarding the current economic climate but my question is I suppose: How often is the price column updated by the Pentaxforums team? OR When was the price column last updated?

I find the lens review section an invaluable resource... Yes many of the reviews are written from an immensely subjective standpoint... But combined with images from lens-clubs and PPG it is a hugely valuable tool that is to be commended!!

It's just that I've found that recently the price column is not representative of the average price of listed lenses...

I'm really not having a dig Adam... I think you do a fantastic job!!

Dave

04-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would suggest as a great generalization the average pricing listed in the reviews column would be lower than today's actual market value aka going rate on most examples. Keep in mind the US dollar has taken a substantial drop the last few years.

A number of the posts are dated from various year (s) back

Some entries do not list a price and I believe the average calculation is using the zero value (Please correct me if in error)

I would guess a few entries were also exceptional buys as well, not that anyone would fudge on value.

I would guess there is a market factor too on where in the world the lens was purchased from.

Having said that, the pricing lists are still very useful as is.

Just an opinion. Thanks

Last edited by Phil1; 04-01-2012 at 10:12 AM.
04-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
More Or Less?

Hi Dave,
I believe the price is only changed when someone posts a new review with a different price.
I posted one with a price slightly higher than the average. The next day the average had gone up a couple of $$.
I also think (but don't quote me) that the figures for sharpness, aberrations, etc., work the same way. I copied a few figures for lenses I've been seeking, posted last year. All but one has changed slightly, and each lens had (at least) one new review.
Generally, the older the latest review, the lower the price.
But overall, I think the prices here are low. At least compared to what I see on eBay and other sales sites. Maybe Pentaxians are good bargain hunters?
Ron
04-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
Some entries do not list a price and I believe the average calculation is using the zero value (Please correct me if in error)
Just checked one lens with not many reviews -- reviews without a price are correctly ignored in the average price and in the chart.

I don't think the moderators update the prices; the prices are solely from the reviewers.

04-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For old lenses the prices are fairly accurate, whereas for new ones things always fluctuate, so use the prices as a guideline.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: