Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I agree with those who say the title and description were clear enough. Not great, but good enough for any informed buyer who does their due diligence. I understood it to be a 50mm f2.

But since eBay usually allows remorseful bidders to squirm out of their purchase commitment, I don't think you'll have a problem if it turns into a dispute. If he's an experienced eBay'er, he'll realize that it's simpler to just cancel the transaction and relist the lens, than it is to start an argument with you.

04-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The moral of the story is NEVER bid on a lens listed on eBay unless the pictures show the complete name of the lens. The pictures of the lens you won do not, so you are relying on a seller who may or may not know much about camera equipment. This goes for the condition of the lens as well.

Phil.
04-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #18

I think the Last batches of the K1000 were sold with the A50/2...

also, the seller was IMO misleading because he didn't take a pic of the front of the lens...

but then again, the A50 is actually a very good lens indeed
04-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"Buyer's Remorse" is not one of the accepted reasons for eBay. I hate to say it, but the item was described correctly.

Something similar happened to me when I sold my K7 to some guy. He got my K7 and then realized that he could have gotten a K5 for a little bit more. He tried to intimidate me, but it didn't work out for him.

On the other hand, like I said, I have done similar things and bought something where I didn't read correctly or thought I was getting a bargain.

It happens.

04-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've come close to making mistakes like that, I almost bought a vivitar 24 f 2 that on more careful reading was FD mount (small print at the bottom and i was looking on my phone)
You live andd learn

at least the lens you did get (at too high a price) is a decent lens that will work on your camera
04-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #21
Veteran Member

This a learning experience.

Oh Goddess no, not ANOTHER learning experience?!?!?!?

This is where one learns to parse eBay descriptions, to differentiate "35mm" from "for 35mm". Like learning that the eBay search engine can't distinguish between "1.2" and "1:2". Like learning that a fancy description coupled with indistinct (or at least incomplete) photos should trigger an alarm.

No, buyer's remorse isn't an excuse for a refund. But an active seller, if begged upon hands and knees and with discreet ass-kissing, will kindly cancel the transaction. I've done so on both sides of the sale. I've kissed ass and been refunded. And I've refunded... and later sold more expensive, more profitable items to the same grateful bidder. And sold the original item for a higher price too. It's just business.

So, eat some humble pie, and be more careful in future. Good luck!
04-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by S1erra Quote
I think the Last batches of the K1000 were sold with the A50/2...
]
The A50/2 was sold with the K1000 for many years. I got my K1000 in 1987 and it had an A50/2.

04-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
"Buyer's Remorse" is not one of the accepted reasons for eBay.
Not an officially accepted reason, but somebody can always try to claim that they accidentally bid on the wrong item, or bid more than they meant to, or that their eBay account was hijacked. I just had this happen to me the other day on this power amp I sold to a guy in the UK:

eBay - Crown XLS1000 Stereo Power Amplifier

At first, the buyer told me he would pay me on Saturday. But when Saturday came and went, and I contacted him again, he claimed that somebody had hijacked his account, and he had already spoken to eBay about it. But looking at his eBay feedback, I could see that he had purchased PA speakers and other similar gear multiple times in the past, so it seemed very coincidental to me that somebody would have hijacked his account and then just happen to bid on an amplifier for PA speakers. But how am I going to prove that his account was not hijacked?

So I just went ahead and canceled the transaction, and luckily I had another bidder in the Netherlands who accepted a second-chance offer for the same price. (I guess these amps must be more expensive in Europe, since it sells for $299 new here in the US, and my used one was bid up to $400.)

Back on the topic of good selling practices, I also think that my practice of taking very good, and detailed, photos helps drive bids up by giving the bidders confidence. I've noticed that my auctions tend to end at a higher value than other identical items. It also saves me from getting a lot of questions about the condition and the specifics of the item. And going back to the OP's unfortunate lens purchase, if the seller would have included good, detailed pictures, there would have been no confusion about what was really for sale.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 04-02-2012 at 08:43 AM.
04-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ok, problem solved the seller was really good about it and said he would cancel it and give a 2nd chance to the next bidder, at which point I informed him that his next bidder and the one below that clearly made the same mistake on this $30 lens. (don't any of us read through things anymore?) I just told him to keep part of my payment (since I already paid) and send back the rest by paypal as a punishment for my stupidity and his wasted time and relist the item.

I was unaware that a symptom of LBA was blindness, I have to watch out for that, I saw Pentax A 35mm and got text tunnel vision.
04-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Ok, problem solved the seller was really good about it and said he would cancel it and give a 2nd chance to the next bidder, at which point I informed him that his next bidder and the one below that clearly made the same mistake on this $30 lens. (don't any of us read through things anymore?) I just told him to keep part of my payment (since I already paid) and send back the rest by paypal as a punishment for my stupidity and his wasted time and relist the item.

I was unaware that a symptom of LBA was blindness, I have to watch out for that, I saw Pentax A 35mm and got text tunnel vision.
lol, that was my problem searching for a good cheap 24 mm
04-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #26
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That was good of you and good of him. I tried to do something similar on a purchase that I suspect won't match the listing description (described both as working and as-is, but a closer inspection of the pictures suggests that as-is may be closer to the truth), but the seller wasn't willing to work things out - and I was willing to pay for the item but not the shipping and let him keep it.