Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Am I confused or did I just about steal this A 35mm F2?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Are the prices here misleading? I was under the impression this lens wasn't super common. I see that there are only 3 reviews though.
SMC Pentax-A 35mm F2 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-A 35mm SLR Film Camera 50mm F=1:2 Lens Photo MINT For K1000 | eBay

I keep looking for something I missed, was everyone else asleep? I was expecting to pay WAY more than $120 shipped for this one considering the Pentax A craze lately. I wanted a more APSC friendly counterpart to my fast 50 and didn't feel like settling for the 2.8 version. (Haven't found the 20mm or 24mm or the 28mm F2 primes yet)
Either way I'm pleased with the purchase.

04-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Uhm....
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I really don't think this is a 35/2
Based on what I can see, it looks like a 50mm f/2 lens. AND.. if this is the case(and I hope I'm wrong) I'd say that you payed to much for it.
Anyways, someone else might chime-in and confirm this, but based on the images I'd say this is what it looks like.

PS, is it possible that you were thrown off by the 35mm film camera statement in the description? Not to be confused by a 35mm focal length, this makes reference to the film size(35mm) and not the lens itself.
04-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The listing, in two places, contradicts itself. It claims to be a 35mm f./2 with a focal length of 50mm. I think the twit selling it meant "A 50mm f./2 for 35mm [film] cameras".

If so, I hate to say it, but you paid about 5x what a 50mm f./2 is worth. I picked up mine for $20.

So, if you get it, and it turns out I'm right, you may want to consider a dispute. Hell, you may want to try to stop payment now, depending on how you paid. It's a badly worded listing, but on the same token, perhaps you should have taken more time reading it.
04-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Uhm....
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I really don't think this is a 35/2
Based on what I can see, it looks like a 50mm f/2 lens. AND.. if this is the case(and I hope I'm wrong) I'd say that you payed to much for it.
Anyways, someone else might chime-in and confirm this, but based on the images I'd say this is what it looks like.

PS, is it possible that you were thrown off by the 35mm film camera statement in the description? Not to be confused by a 35mm focal length, this makes reference to the film size(35mm) and not the lens itself.
OUCH. What he said. "50mm fixed focal length" says it all. Sorry :I

04-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #5

Umm I think the listing was for a Pentax-A 50mm F2 lens for a 35mm SLR Film camera which is much more common. Unfortunately I think you've been had =(. Not sure if you can back out of it now though.
04-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, further down in the description, it says 50mm f1:2. Title says 35mm SLR film camera lens 50mm 1:2.
04-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

He's clearly not the only one that got (purposefully?) confused by it. 15 bids.

04-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You should have clarified what exactly they were selling. As philoslothical pointed out, the title and actual description were definitely unclear and borderline misleading.

From the auction details:

Here I have a Pentax SMC Pentax-A SLR 35mm Film Camera Lens

For Pentax K1000 35mm Camera

50mm fixed focal length, f=1:2

...Sorry to say but by all appearances it is a run of the mill 50mm F2 lens (both the actual description above, as well as a quick look at the lens to me indicate the optics of a 50mm f2 lens, there would be more glass to the front element of a 35mm f2).
04-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So it's a $30 50mm F2 for a 35mm camera...clever "mistake" in the title there.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-50mm-F2-Lens.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch. Heck, we all get bit by eBay from time to time.
04-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The heading might be somewhat confusing but the seller does state in the ad <50mm fixed focal length, f=1:2>, but then again there have been threads about people confusing <f=1:2> as f1.2... Buyer Beware!
04-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think the seller mentioned pretty clear.
It's a 50mm f/2.

"No returns or exchanges, but item is covered by eBay Buyer Protection- opens in a new window or tab."

I hope you can work something out.
$127 is way more than what I paid for my A50/1.7
04-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Similar thing happened to me a while back. Some guy listed a lens as a 50mm 1.2 (that was in the title). The description then described the lens as rare and had all of this description that sounded like it was copied and pasted from a forum (might have been from this one). I paid about 100 bucks for it and was ecstatic that I had gotten such a great deal on a 1.2 lens. Then reason hit. With the way people scavenge ebay, there was no way I could get such an amazing lens for $100.

I went back, read the description a few times and then found it. Hidden in the huge narrative about the lens was "50mm 1:2". I felt worse than I did this morning when I realized Adam had tricked me into thinking a Pentax Full Frame would soon be released. The worst part was that I had already paid for the item. I thought I'd be stuck overpaying for the lens. I immediately contacted the guy and explained that he had "mistakenly listed" the lens (even though I'm pretty sure it was not a mistake) and informed him that I expected that he would refund me my money because of the misleading title. When I wrote to him, I tried to be as professional as possible and didn't threaten him with reporting him to ebay. I thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt first. It worked. He refunded me my money.

I don't know if you'll have the same luck. This guy did state 50mm in the title. It still might be worth a try.
04-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I don't know if you'll have the same luck.
Oh, I don't know. The seller has 524 feedback and a perfect 100%. It may even be innocent in this case, just really badly worded. I noticed in his other ads he uses the phrase "35mm camera" a lot. OP may be able to work something out, if the guy is honest, and if he wants to preserve that perfect 100%. I'm not saying threaten him, but sellers on Ebay these days have to be paranoid. It's all stacked in the buyer's favour these days. I doubt he'd want his first neg over a measly 100 bucks.
04-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
O crap, ah well, that's what I get for jumping in without reading clearly.
Sent him a message asking to cancel with a fee on my part for the bother, we will see.