Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Vivitar 70-210mm lens won't fit K-5

Hi,
I started out with a Pentax k1000 film camera many years ago and have a number of lenses. I have now splurged and bought a K-5 with the thought that my lenses will fit. The problem my vivitar 70-210mm macro focusing zoom P/K does not fit. My pentax lenses do fit. I don't understand why this is the case and is there any conversion attachment that I could get to make it fit? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

04-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's a K-mount lens as you've indicated, then there should be no reason why it shouldn't fit as is. Ensure you're aligning the red dots together to get the bayonet to slot in.
04-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #3

There is a flange that is attached around the rear element. It's 2 or 3 screws to remove it and it doesn't affect the function of the lens to remove it. You can google it, but basically it creates an interference that won't allow you to mount the lens. Some people dremel it a bit so that the interference is no longer, but I just removed mine and the lens works great!
04-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter

A number of film era third party lenses, particularly Vivitar but other brands as well, had a flange to protect the aperture lever that was larger than the standard set by Pentax. This was not a problem until Pentax added the power zoom contacts which are now used for SDM lenses. The flange and the mount for the SDM contacts interfere.

As noted above the flange can often, depending on the lens, just be removed. If not then you need to break out the Dremel and cut it down to size.

04-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Forum Member

My cutting is just beautiful! used a hand saw

04-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank You
05-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Recently acquired this lens (Vivitar 70-210mm f/4.5) and had this same problem with my K-r. Don't own a Dremel or a small enough screw driver so I just shelved it until I discovered that it fits on extension tubes! What a fun lens to play with for macros.
01-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
A number of film era third party lenses, particularly Vivitar but other brands as well, had a flange to protect the aperture lever that was larger than the standard set by Pentax. This was not a problem until Pentax added the power zoom contacts which are now used for SDM lenses. The flange and the mount for the SDM contacts interfere.

As noted above the flange can often, depending on the lens, just be removed. If not then you need to break out the Dremel and cut it down to size.
What if I would like to still use the 70 - 210 Vivitar on my original P3n film camera ? Will the lens still attach well to that old camera once the flange is removed or altered ?

01-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by <ade> Quote
What if I would like to still use the 70 - 210 Vivitar on my original P3n film camera ? Will the lens still attach well to that old camera once the flange is removed or altered ?
The flange was supposed to protect the aperture lever from accidental damage. Pentax lenses have them to but not as large. If the flange can be removed the only problem is the aperture lever is a little more exposed to bumps and dings. If you are careful this should not be an issue. It will still mount on any k-mount camera.