Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So you then believe Ricoh has no business insight, no skills and no plan
Companies also make mistakes and die. I'm not saying this is the case, but it happens all the time. Pentax could very well die out in the US entirely, which threatens the people on this forum. We are justifiably concerned.

04-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As noted in this thread - I believe (as others do) that Pentax is making a really big mistake by giving the impressions that the Product and the Service that they provide demand a premium dollar <- other users can continue to say that we payed that price a long time ago, the fact still remains -> in no way is the Products or Services that Pentax provides here in the states worth higher premiums than superior Nikon or Canon (and even Sigma to some extent) Products or Services.

In A Whole (I noted that as talking in the grand scheme of things), Pentax/Ricoh is trying to pass off on us a Chevrolet Level of Product and Services as a Premium Lexus Level of Product and Services which is absurd.

Whoever thinks the Pentax Product and Services offerings demand a Premium Dollar please raise your hands! Also, please let us know why...

04-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #168
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I have mixed feelings about this price increase....I'm starting to see old Pentax lenses price adjustments on eBAY and that's only a beginning.
I guess I share a similar sentiment. I am not one for speculating too much on the business decisions of a company and thinking that in the end they have my best interests in mind. It is clear that something is up ( It is reasonable to think that Ricoh and Hoya have completely different business models and therefore approach directing the business in different ways) and though it doesn't personally affect me at this time (would have liked a DA*300mm but not for a while anyways) it sucks for those who underestimated just how much the increase would be for certain equipment and got caught up in all this. I too saw the rumors of an impending price hike here at PF but was also a bit shocked at just how much they turned out to be but ultimately not surprised I guess. It just goes to show that companies will do as "they" see fit regardless of how it may effect the consumer in the short or long term in order to serve their own best interests. This is not much different than many if not most large companies and in the end they don't much care about the consumer on an individual level...not at the numbers/quantities/$'s the company is dealing with as a whole. What I will do is hang back a bit and see what Pentax's direction looks like after the dust settles and if I don't like it I will sell off and give my money to another company that doesn't much give a damn about me or any other individual consumer but at least may have a clearer direction and an overall better more consistent support system. After all what value the Pentax system had relative to other systems has just decreased rather significantly since they can't at this point compete with the direction and support given by other systems. I first bought into Pentax because I always remember my father having used a Pentax SLR and though that's a nice sentiment ultimately I will make a decision in this matter that serves my best interest and why not...that's what Pentax is doing
04-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
As noted in this thread - I believe (as others do) that Pentax is making a really big mistake by giving the impressions that the Product and the Service that they provide demand a premium dollar <- other users can continue to say that we payed that price a long time ago, the fact still remains -> in no way is the Products or Services that Pentax provides here in the states worth higher premiums than superior Nikon or Canon (and even Sigma to some extent) Products or Services.

In A Whole (I noted that as talking in the grand scheme of things), Pentax/Ricoh is trying to pass off on us a Chevrolet Level of Product and Services as a Premium Lexus Level of Product and Services which is absurd.

Whoever thinks the Pentax Product and Services offerings demand a Premium Dollar please raise your hands! Also, please let us know why...

Actually speaking as someone who has generally been bound to higher prices in Canada (and longer warranties) I can't really complain about Pentax service. any time I've interacted with them it's been pretty decent.
part of providing that service comes from the premium price. so maybe you can look forward to improved service since they will be able to fund it now

04-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #170
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Maybe my three M50/2s will be worth selling eventually?
You know as well as I do that the 50/2 is the ideal body cap for cameras that sit on the shelf.
04-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You know as well as I do that the 50/2 is the ideal body cap for cameras that sit on the shelf.
LOL, that's what I do too
04-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #172
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
This is not much different than many if not most large companies and in the end they don't much care about the consumer on an individual level...
I have no illusions about Pentax caring about me as an individual. Consumers are best served by a company running a profitable and flourishing business, but all I'm seeing in this move are distinct suicidal tendencies. Ricoh seems to be rather confused about the brand's standing in the market and the direction they want to take it.

Last edited by Ikarus; 04-05-2012 at 09:37 AM.
04-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #173
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Actually speaking as someone who has generally been bound to higher prices in Canada (and longer warranties) I can't really complain about Pentax service. any time I've interacted with them it's been pretty decent.
part of providing that service comes from the premium price. so maybe you can look forward to improved service since they will be able to fund it now
My interactions with Pentax Canada were night and day better than with Pentax Imaging (Pentax in the US). You also get better warranty service based on reports here, have multiple chain B&M stores that carry Pentax products, and get a longer warranty up front. Your prices have not been that much higher, and in many instances have been lower, than those in the US based on people buying from Canadian sellers for their K5s and other gear as reported here. But I must reiterate, you have to improve service and QC and all those other things BEFORE you can command a premium price - Pentax USA has done ZERO in that direction.

04-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #174
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
My interactions with Pentax Canada were night and day better than with Pentax Imaging (Pentax in the US). You also get better warranty service based on reports here, have multiple chain B&M stores that carry Pentax products, and get a longer warranty up front. Your prices have not been that much higher, and in many instances have been lower, than those in the US based on people buying from Canadian sellers for their K5s and other gear as reported here. But I must reiterate, you have to improve service and QC and all those other things BEFORE you can command a premium price - Pentax USA has done ZERO in that direction.
If this was directed by japan though they may not have had a choice. Japan would be looking at a total world market and may have decided that the US was disrupting the other markets disproportionately to their sales volume. there are likely also more moves to come in a plan that isn't evident to us and I can't think of any company in any industry that would announce their plans in advance of implementing them. while it would have been nice to know beforehand it's definitely unrealistic to expect them to explain the plan to you (see the response i saw from ricoh on this thread or the other- that basically said we don't discuss this)
I'm certain some people will be mad enough to sell off and leave the brand. but when they do sell off it brings a replacement user to the brand or strengthens another commitment. The people who leave will likely find a new set of issues with the new brand (including in many cases much bigger financial commitments for the better gear)
for the entire plan to be apparent and the true face of the future Pentax to be established it will probably take until the end of 2013 (many things will become apparent along the way of course but before the plan is fully implemented and the real growth stage potential is in place it will take that kind of time. some of those changes may well draw users from canikon to Pentax and others will drive some users away. thing is if they lost 1 % of current users but drew 0.25% of canikon users they would have grown overall. I'd need to sit down with some numbers but i think they are looking for a long term benefit that isn't wholly reliant on the small market they have but looking towards a larger market. To pursue that larger market they need to make the brand worthwhile for dealers this is probably step one.
04-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #175
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
But I must reiterate, you have to improve service and QC and all those other things BEFORE you can command a premium price - Pentax USA has done ZERO in that direction.
A BIG +1...

In essence, what they are saying is "we've messed up our business for decades, let us screw you guys for a bit while helping us improve our corporation, and then we will make you guys happy in the end "

Ummm, no, but thanks for the offer...
Even if PRI does turn things around, why should we care? Are they going to be sending us christmas bonuses if they become the #1 camera manufacturer in the world?
04-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #176
Pentaxian

Bottom line is you are still the owner of your wallet - it's hard earned money hence do whatever you think it's right for you. If the brand is doing things that don't deserve your support, just dump it and move on.
04-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That's where they are now, jauntily decorating the K1000, MV1, and ZX-M (when the latter is not in use). Ooh ooh.
04-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #178
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
Ricoh seems to be rather confused about the brand's standing in the market and the direction they want to take it.
Yep...from our point of view that may very well be. Perhaps PentaxRicoh sees it differently...who's to say. But as I said, if after things settle a bit and I see that Pentax's vision of direction (or continued lacking of one) doesn't vibe with me then I have no reason to hesitate to move along if that will serve me better. Question is...how long is a reasonable enough time to allow Pentax to clarify and rectify its deficiencies? I'm not in a big hurry as I love using the gear I currently have, but eventually most if not all of us would like to broaden our scope a bit more with new lenses or bodies.

Last edited by gda13; 04-05-2012 at 10:29 AM.
04-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #179
Veteran Member

What I've been itching to know is if there was an official statement of sorts released by PRIC explaining (or at least justifying) this action?? And how did Adam get the heads up a few days before it happened???
04-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
What I've been itching to know is if there was an official statement of sorts released by PRIC explaining (or at least justifying) this action?? And how did Adam get the heads up a few days before it happened???
Adam posted that their official reaction to inquiries has been "No comment."