Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just checked a couple lenses at Adorama and the pricing fluctuations appears to be hitting non-Pentax lenses for K as well. The Tamron 70-200/2.8 is still $769 for the lens but the kit (which are usually lower in cost than the lens as their deal) is now $847. Hmmm.

04-05-2012, 11:43 AM - 2 Likes   #182
Veteran Member

My view: Pentax makes top-of-the-line cameras for very reasonable prices. IMHO they're optimal on the price-performance curve. But it was lenses that first drew me here -- and the lens prices aren't bargains, not like when my FA50/1.4 was US$200. IMHO Pentax-Ricoh could be industry leader IFF they produced Pentax-quality lenses at Sigma-Tamron-Tokina prices. Whether that's possible, I don't know.

Current|new lens price levels aren't going to attract crowds of customers. Some here seem ready to bolt to the Canikony side. Maybe, as suggested, PRIC raised retail prices to keep dwindling supplies from going out-of-stock whilst they re-tool for future production. Let's HOPE that's the rationale, and that prices will be more competitive in future. Meanwhile, my LBA will wither on the vine. Ratz.

Last edited by RioRico; 04-05-2012 at 03:25 PM.
04-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #183
Veteran Member

not much chance your LBA will wither Rico, there's always the elusive missing taks for the price of a pizza
04-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Adam posted that their official reaction to inquiries has been "No comment."

Well...that sums it up with how Ricoh treats it devotees.

04-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Well...that sums it up with how Ricoh treats it devotees.
I can't think of a company that would explain what their plan was to a customer complaint. It's just not how business works. and since they are wholly owned by Ricoh there would be no annual report with a plan laid out in it (and those plans don't usually go down to deep detail, that just tells the competition whats coming. If you expected anything other than the answer they give you are sadly delusional
While it would be nice to know whats coming I think we'll just be bitching and complaining while it goes in place. that may take the next 12-18 months BTW if it is a long term plan (and I have no reason to believe it would be anything other than that)
once it's wholly in place we will still be bitching because it's not the plan that suits our individual plan completely
this is the internet (and even worse an internet Forum) the only thing you can be sure of is in 18 months we will still be bitching
The only real world thing you can be sure of is that in18 months Pentax will be offering differently than it does today (new items, and beyond that who knows - only PRIC)
04-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
While it would be nice to know whats coming I think we'll just be bitching and complaining while it goes in place. that may take the next 12-18 months BTW if it is a long term plan (and I have no reason to believe it would be anything other than that)
Well, the world is ending long before that, specifically on 12/21/2012...therefore, forget camera gear and buy something REAL gratifying like a Porsche
04-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #187
Pentaxian

The only real world thing you can be sure of is that in18 months Pentax will be offering differently than it does today (new items, and beyond that who knows - only PRIC)

"...Playin' with my money is like playin' with my emotions..." Never mind...since I'm a semi-starving student I don't have a lot of that floating around, but what I do have is time and a nice setup that I am happy with that should hold me over for a couple of years so I'm willing to wait and see how things pan out.

04-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #188

Greetings, gents, I have registered here, in order to write in this thread - I cannot see a price increase in Bulgaria either.It seems like we, Europeans, will not see a price increase.I bought the DA 70mm 1:2.4 yesterday, and I was even tempted to quit the leasing for it and buy a used one, lol.I have to figure out what do I do until Monday.As for the lenses, K-5 still kicks D7000 in the butt by most means, and is cheaper - I do not think that I will quit using Pentax soon.
04-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #189
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even under Hoya the lenses were already out of my price range new so what does it matter if they're even more? ;P
04-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #190

It's pretty simple , for me as a hobbyists making no $ from my pictures.
Value/performance was part of the equation in my choosing Pentax in the first place, along with the weather-sealing.

The DA* 60-250 has nearly doubled in effective price, which for me, would turn it into an already expensive purchase but one I had planned on this year, to -> it looks like the Tamron or Sigma 70-200/2.8 will be where my money goes.

If these prices don't settle downwards, I can see a lot of people no longer buying Pentax lenses as their first choice, and I will certainly be among them.

I am not opposed to some lenses going up somewhat, nor am I opposed to somewhat leveling the playing field between online and B&M stores, but not at the current "cost" to consumers to do so.
If things do not change, I may decide to purchase nothing else but non-Pentax lenses, as well as consider making significantly fewer purchases of any K-mount lens.
When the time comes to consider another body (which may be "helped along" by pricing changes), the value/performance consideration will be much lower than it was previously for me, to stay with Pentax.

There are other options - I may stay with Pentax but never buy another Pentax lens, or very few, and primarily stick to Tamron/Sigma offerings, but it will be a much more difficult decision to stay or bail for Nikon.
I don't have a need for a huge assortment of lenses, but I feel quite already over-charged at the old prices for a lens such as the 18-135, let alone the nice but not fast (and SDM) 60-250; increasing those prices upwards has a direct result of - Pentax will not be seeing my cash and likely others on those lenses, so which are left at current pricing that we can say are not only competitive, but also worth the $ vs Sigma/Tamron, and reasonably priced enough to not simply go with used, older glass, or just move from Pentax entirely?

We'll see how it plays out in the next couple of months.
04-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #191
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Even under Hoya the lenses were already out of my price range new so what does it matter if they're even more? ;P
You don't really believe that prices new and prices used have nothing to do with each other, do you?
04-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #192

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
You don't really believe that prices new and prices used have nothing to do with each other, do you?
True; used prices are already somewhat insane in many cases (look for older Tokina ATX-Pro glass, as a good example), and the used market will also adjust upwards if this isn't sorted soon.
Maybe less so for full manual lenses, but this is likely to have an impact on most of us not making $ from our pictures.

It may shift some from used -> Sigma or Tokina new, but it's unlikely to be of benefit to Pentax or pushing many new Pentax sales, of lenses or bodies, IMO.

I already had a tough call of DA* 6-250 or Tamron 70-200/2.8; without changes, Pentax has made that decision for me, and possibly made me consider just not making that purchase at all, if the performance/value equation makes me consider Nikon instead. Why throw more money at what looks like (right now) a worse value proposition than it was previously?
04-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #193
Pentaxian

only PRIC
Phonetically speaking, an unfortunate but perhaps currently relevant acronym.
04-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #194
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No I don't. Of course not. I was being funny. Laughing at my own poverty, as it were. I can't really afford the 55-300 even used though. For me when it comes to AF lenses it's either go with bargain older ones from film cameras or forget about it most of the time. Most of the better new Pentax lenses are priced so high that they're basically just something I fantasize about owning once in a while. Always have been. $50-100 more or less? It really doesn't make much of a difference to me since I can't afford them anyhow. If the used lenses get that way too, oh well, guess I won't be buying much in future, will I? I do sympathize but if you can even afford them at all you're much better off than I am, shrug.
04-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #195
Veteran Member

We've already seen changes in what used lenses are being listed for here on the Marketplace and on eBay. Those prices jumped after the huge price increases by the Big 3 online retailers of Pentax equipment.