Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
We've already seen changes in what used lenses are being listed for here on the Marketplace and on eBay. Those prices jumped after the huge price increases by the Big 3 online retailers of Pentax equipment.
It's expected that used prices would increase of lenses still in production. It will be interesting to see if the increases filter down to the legacy lenses. Does the M20/4 increase because the DA21 is more expensive? The 100mm macro's? the 200 or 300mm * primes? Etc, etc, etc...

04-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder why FA lenses stayed the same price? Were they always at MSRP? Will they be replaced soon with DFA variants and Ricoh wants to deplete the current stock?
04-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I wonder why FA lenses stayed the same price? Were they always at MSRP? Will they be replaced soon with DFA variants and Ricoh wants to deplete the current stock?
There's probably a ready supply of FA Limited primes in Pentax warehouses across the world. But that doesn't necessarily mean they'll produce another batch when they run out.
04-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There's probably a ready supply of FA Limited primes in Pentax warehouses across the world. But that doesn't necessarily mean they'll produce another batch when they run out.
The FA43 is out of stock at Adorama and BH (31 and 77 are in stock). That might not mean there isn't a supply but I was hoping to order the FA43 if I could sell my DA40 for $400+.

04-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #200
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
The FA43 is out of stock at Adorama and BH (31 and 77 are in stock). That might not mean there isn't a supply but I was hoping to order the FA43 if I could sell my DA40 for $400+.
Hadn't noticed that - things that make you go, "Hhmmmm."
04-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #201
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just saw a 40mm ltd on the market for $450, I did some checking.
Wow. Really? $500 new?
and same with da* 50-135. $1600? Who'd buy it at that price?
When I bought 50-135 a month ago, b&h sold it new for $850.

Last edited by RickyFromVegas; 04-07-2012 at 07:52 PM.
04-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
I just saw a 40mm ltd on the market for $450, I did some checking.
Wow. Really? $500 new?
and same with da* 50-135. $1600? Who'd buy it at that price?
When I bought 50-135 a month ago, b&h sold it new for $850.
Ya - I love the 50~135, I bought mine some time ago used and got a great deal on it (thanks again to @dgaies - awesome guy and great seller), as great as the lens is I think tops I would pay new for it is $1,100...

04-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #203
Veteran Member

More for More?

Well like I said it depends on where you live and what you expect to pay. If it were up to you guys Pentax would go broke in a week

These prices are par for the course around here and have been like it for years.

I paid 1500 for my 50-135 & 1500 for my 31LTD. We pay around 30% more here in OZ for everything but we also get higher wages so...

Digital Camera Lenses - Ted's Cameras

Last edited by bossa; 04-08-2012 at 05:57 PM.
04-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #204
Veteran Member

I just got an FA43 quote from my Pentax store here. 26000NT or about $870. Hopefully it goes back into stock at Adorama/BH/other at $560 and my sister can bring me one from the US when she visits this fall.
04-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #205

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Well like I said it depends on where you live and what you expect to pay. If it were up to you guys Pentax weould go broke in a week
Pentax may receive no additional revenue per unit sold from the change. Pentax set minimum selling prices in the US. We do not know if they increased wholesale prices to US retailers.

Why have prices been lower in the US? Have US retailers been paying lower wholesale prices? Or, have the lower prices been the result of a high-volume, low-margin retail model?

Jeff
04-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #206
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
Or, have the lower prices been the result of a high-volume, low-margin retail model?
This is certainly a factor. I've read many times now in this thread and elsewhere that Ricoh is trying to "level the playing field between re-sellers" via the new unilateral pricing model that ultimately caused these insane price jumps. The thing is, though - for making yourself believe that the trend towards people buying photography gear through high-volume, low-margin online outfits, while B&M stores are going extinct, is reversible, you've gotta be smoking some really good stuff.
04-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
This is certainly a factor. I've read many times now in this thread and elsewhere that Ricoh is trying to "level the playing field between re-sellers" via the new unilateral pricing model that ultimately caused these insane price jumps. The thing is, though - for making yourself believe that the trend towards people buying photography gear through high-volume, low-margin online outfits, while B&M stores are going extinct, is reversible, you've gotta be smoking some really good stuff.

I agree - besides, the clear example why this won't work has already been demonstrated by stores like Borders, etc. closing. If book publishers wanted to make their money, they better let the marketplace decide - rather than dictating prices, which they have. By making prices at online stores like Amazon/B&H rise, Ricoh/Pentax might just have cut off the hand that feeds them. And, not to forget the unjustifiable new prices on DA* lenses (and consequently on used ones too).
04-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I just got an FA43 quote from my Pentax store here. 26000NT or about $870. Hopefully it goes back into stock at Adorama/BH/other at $560 and my sister can bring me one from the US when she visits this fall.

Thats dirt cheap. Chequed the value of the dollar lately?
I believe I paid close to $900 for the 43mm in 1997 when it was released.
04-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #209

The thing is, though - for making yourself believe that the trend towards people buying photography gear through high-volume, low-margin online outfits, while B&M stores are going extinct, is reversible, you've gotta be smoking some really good stuff.
This. It isn't just a US phenomenon either. Even in the UK (which also got a price increase, though not on the comical levels of the US one), the 20th century business model of an expensive 'high street' store with a small range of stock is dying out. Game has just gone into administration (a form of what would be called 'bankruptcy protection' in the US) - a company that had six stores in my nearest city. Jessops, our only remaining chain of photographic stores, has had several attempts at going out of business and will probably succeed one of these days.

This, you should bear in mind, is in a country with a much higher population density than the US (ie more people over here are likely to live within driving distance of a city big enough to have a camera store). This new move from Ricoh - unless it is a temporary stock-maintenance one - seems to have 'bet the farm' on people returning to these out-of-date, overpriced stores rather than buying into whatever system is the best value on Adorama/B&H/Amazon/etc.

EDIT: Should add that, with the EU actually having functioning laws against price-fixing, Ricoh/Pentax seem to have achieved their price hikes over here by increasing the wholesale price to dealers rather than by 'unilateral' pricing. Certainly the price hikes appeared first at SRS (who sell the most Pentax gear, and probably therefore ran out of 'old price stock' first), rather than being simultaneous at all dealers.
04-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #210

As desirable as it might be, B&M stores are not coming back in the US. However, we do not actually know why Ricoh raised Pentax lens prices.

Regarding the price increases, I've been trying to make sense of them based on how they actually affect me. In other words, how much have prices increased on lenses I want, and are there third party alternatives? I pulled this site's price-increase table into Excel and sorted it by percentage increase. Here's a list of the lenses with a more than 30% increase, with my personal assessments:

DA 18-55 - 34.25%
I have the 18-135, and so do not need this lens. In any case, the actual dollar increase is not that much.
DA 14mm - 35.72%
A big increase, but I've been thinking about the 12-24, and that lens's price did not increase.
D-FA 100mm Macro - 41.67%
Obviously a very desirable lens, but the Tamron 90 is a good substitute.
DA 40mm Limited - 47.07%
A big increase, but I ordered this lens before the price went up.
DA* 50-250 - 54.32%
Simple answer: Tamron 70-200 f/2.8.
DA* 16-50 - 87.51%
Yikes! They must be kidding. Tamron or Sigma 17-50. (I have the Tamron.)
DA* 50-135 - 88.24%
This one is a problem. It is way overpriced at $1600, but there is no third party alternative. A 70-200 can roughly fill the role, but weighs twice as much and is bigger.
Again, this is just an assessment from my point of view, but I think its a useful way to look at the situation. Also, since I've purchased four Pentax lenses and one Pentax mount Tamron lens since November, I have no more money, making this exercise very theoretical .

Jeff