Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Well like I said it depends on where you live and what you expect to pay. If it were up to you guys Pentax would go broke in a week

These prices are par for the course around here and have been like it for years.

I paid 1500 for my 50-135 & 1500 for my 31LTD. We pay around 30% more here in OZ for everything but we also get higher wages so...

Digital Camera Lenses - Ted's Cameras
Yep, it makes it cheaper or more reasonable to buy lenses here locally instead of importing from America. Which is fairly amusing...

04-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Yep, it makes it cheaper or more reasonable to buy lenses here locally instead of importing from America. Which is fairly amusing...
I'm nots ure if you're taking the p*ss pout of me there or not.

When the 50-135 was around $965 (or close) I was wanting to buy from the US but when I kept hearing about SDM failures and that I'd have to pay shipping both ways for warranty I felt I'd be better, off or on par, if I gor one locally. Mine has already had to be repaired due to a faulty o-ring (sloppy zoom ring after awhile) so if it needs a SDM on top of that I'd say I'd be even with the old US price after two repairs. One of my K-5's need a new focus mode lever on the back of teh camera.. so there's another one.
04-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm nots ure if you're taking the p*ss pout of me there or not.

When the 50-135 was around $965 (or close) I was wanting to buy from the US but when I kept hearing about SDM failures and that I'd have to pay shipping both ways for warranty I felt I'd be better, off or on par, if I gor one locally. Mine has already had to be repaired due to a faulty o-ring (sloppy zoom ring after awhile) so if it needs a SDM on top of that I'd say I'd be even with the old US price after two repairs. One of my K-5's need a new focus mode lever on the back of teh camera.. so there's another one.
Nope. I meant to say with the unilateral pricing in America, there are lenses that are now cheaper here in comparison - one nice example is the D-FA Macro 100mm which you can get $729 compared to, say, B&H Photo for $849. The DA* 50-135 you can get $1459 here - slightly cheaper than the $1599.95 at B&H.

Also, regarding warranty - I found this over on Whirlpool a few days ago - a couple years old that post but they might still do it. Possibly useful for the few lenses that are somewhat cheap in America, e.g. the DA 17-70 SDM - $725 here versus $599.

And yes, all the prices I listed here are local retail and not grey/parallel import prices.
04-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #214
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
dgaies - awesome guy and great seller
+1 to this, Dan has sold me more than a few bits n bobs over the years.

Off topic I know, but still worth mentioning. Now resuming normal programming.....

04-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #215
Pentaxian

Well like I said it depends on where you live and what you expect to pay. If it were up to you guys Pentax would go broke in a week

These prices are par for the course around here and have been like it for years.

I paid 1500 for my 50-135 & 1500 for my 31LTD. We pay around 30% more here in OZ for everything but we also get higher wages so...

Digital Camera Lenses - Ted's Cameras
Do you actually BUY things from Ted's? I find them to be the least knowlegable, highest price camera (chain) store I have visited. If I use their prices for my lens collection, the value of my glass just increased by several thousand dollars over what I actually paid for it. I admit, I have no issue with buying 2nd hand from trusted people (particularly from this site), so I have paid nowhere near the listed Teds prices, but still, they ARE the high water mark.

Even at our higher average wage, Kennedies (the Oz distributor) have been creaming this market for years, making it far more of a proposition to import lenses and accessories than to buy from the local market. (although I do spend a lot of time and $$$ at my two local camera shops...)

Speaking of average wage, maybe we should do a study to work out how many man hours one needs to work (given average wages in each geographical market) to buy any given lens rather than compare prices in different markets with different economic factors. We may find out that even at the inflated prices we Aussies have been paying we may actually be better off in terms of effort/lens required to aquire it.

Last edited by wizofoz; 04-09-2012 at 01:59 AM.
04-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Do you actually BUY things from Ted's? I find them to be the least knowledgeable, highest price camera (chain) store I have visited. If I use their prices for my lens collection, the value of my glass just increased by several thousand dollars over what I actually paid for it. I admit, I have no issue with buying 2nd hand from trusted people (particularly from this site), so I have paid nowhere near the listed Teds prices, but still, they ARE the high water mark.

Even at our higher average wage, Kennedies (the Oz distributor) have been creaming this market for years, making it far more of a proposition to import lenses and accessories than to buy from the local market. (although I do spend a lot of time and $$$ at my two local camera shops...)

Speaking of average wage, maybe we should do a study to work out how many man hours one needs to work (given average wages in each geographical market) to buy any given lens rather than compare prices in differnt markets with different economic factors. We may fins out that even at the inflated prices we Aussies have been paying we may actually be better off in terms of effort/lens required to aquire it.
No I don't buy from Ted's. I was only pointing to the link as it seems to be an average summation of local prices.

CRK will probably raise local prices now just to make a liar out of me. Also, a CRK rep told me that they would honour a genuine Pentax international warranty so maybe they'd fix locally if B&H supplied that with their USA labelled items. I just paid $910 for a 60-250 that is 3 mths old and in perfect nick and I even have the sellers purchase receipts (Melbourne AUS) so I'm hoping that if anything goes wrong CRK will look after me.

PS: Thanks for the whirlpool link Vylen.

Last edited by bossa; 04-09-2012 at 01:09 AM.
04-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #217
Veteran Member

CRK rep told me that they would honour a genuine Pentax international warranty
They do, they fixed my flash (from B&H) no problems
04-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #218
Pentaxian

No I don't buy from Ted's. I was only pointing to the link as it seems to be an average summation of local prices.

CRK will probably raise local prices now just to make a liar out of me. Also, a CRK rep told me that they would honour a genuine Pentax international warranty so maybe they'd fix locally if B&H supplied that with their USA labelled items. I just paid $910 for a 60-250 that is 3 mths old and in perfect nick and I even have the sellers purchase receipts (Melbourne AUS) so I'm hoping that if anything goes wrong CRK will look after me.
Interesting that CRK will honour the international warranty. Just to let you know, I had a 50-135 SDM failure repaired locally (literally 3km's from my house) for $60 or $80 last year. If anything goes wrong on the SDM front, I'd suggest that route rather than a trip to Japan.

I also bought a 60-250 before christmas, I think its an outstanding lens. Would I pay $2k for it? Nope. I bought a 16 - 50 a couple of weeks ago. Would I pay $1.5 for it? Nope, it just doesnt 'grab me' enough. Over the journey I have bought 2 copies of the 50-135. Each was less than $800 (IIRC). [I had dropped and broken the mount on the first one, and it was away in a Japaneese Hospital getting repaired. I missed it so much I bought another to tide me over until its return, I kept the repaired one - I think- and sold the other.] 2nd hand it's a bargain at that price. Would I pay $1.5k for it? Maybe......??? I love this lens. Horses for courses I guess.

04-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #219
Veteran Member

Well my 50-135 is superb resolution-wise. The only complaint I have about it is the slow focusing speed, which seemed OK when it was all I was using. When it was away for 6 weeks getting repaired I actually used other lenses (oops) and got used to much faster focusing.. now it seems horrifyingly slow. The 60-250 is a much faster-focusing lens.

PS> I've been told from a couple of sources that SDM failures cost around 280 when the motor needs replacing.
04-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #220
Pentaxian

I've not heard of the motor needing replacement. My understanding is that there is a screw that binds and stops the motor turning. I guess one could lead to the other though.

Here is the thread I started about my 50-135 repair. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/145340-...d-locally.html

I think we should just ake the focus speed as it is. The 50-135 is a superb portrait lens and excellent gp short tele. I've never actually noticed that it is slow in focusing, but then again, maybe I'm not looking for lightning fast AF.

Anyway, this has little to do with the unilateral price increase, so allow me to get back on topic.

It will be very interesting to see what CRK and PRIC do in relation to Oz pricing. Luckily I have almost everything anyone could ever want in Pentax lenses (DA200 and 300 notwithstanding) so it will have no negative effect on me in the short term. I agree with your point that our American cousins have had it far too good price wise and do not actually understand that the rest of us have been paying higher prices all along for new lenses in our home markets. I wonder if that is the cost of having a brick and morter (as the Americans would say) store presence. For as long as I've looked, there has always been a full-ish range of Penatx equipment at both my local suburban camera stores, and a fuller range if I was to wander into the 'camera strip' in the city.
04-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #221
Veteran Member

There's only one store here in Adelaide that stocks about 5 Pentax lenses and everyone else doesn't bother. Even the distributor has to order the lenses in form head office in Melbourne.

When they fixed my 50-135 they cleaned and tested it. I don't know if it just works more slowly now as a result of the service or not. It's hard to remember exactly how something behaved when you've been using other things for almost 2 months.
04-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #222
Veteran Member

Well, with the price hike, I think my developing LBA will be under control via force.

In the end, probably good for me

Nip a bud early, am I right?
04-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
Well, with the price hike, I think my developing LBA will be under control via force.
What, and miss out on all the M42s?
04-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #224
Veteran Member

I bought 4 m42, and 2 k-mount lenses past 3 weeks ; -;
04-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
I bought 4 m42, and 2 k-mount lenses past 3 weeks ; -;
That's a good start. Two lenses per week for a couple years, and you'll be sitting pretty.