Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I may well go off and buy the 60-250 this week because it is still available for around US$1,150 - 1,200 here and if the street price is anywhere near that new US$2,000 list ... I'll never buy it. As for the 16-50 and 50-135 and it's 90% rise, for fault plagued lenses, ....... it seems some people at Pentax have just totally lost it. These prices will put many of their lenses beyond that of Canon/Nikon and I couldn't blame anyone for jumping ship. Those price rises are just insane. Even if they bring out a FF camera will people stick around for the launch and to pay those prices ?

I can see Zeiss & Voigtlander to say nothing of Sigma & Tamron, doing very well out of this. Sigma need to bring back the 50-150/2.8 now, it would massacre the 50-135 if still around $600 - 700.

In fact I see a 5DII in my future, plus the MPE65 for my macro, the 400 5.6 + x1.4 TC for birding and some fast portrait lenses for that gorgeous FF portrait look. I'll keep one of my K5s and my favourite PK lenses.

Well, Canikon may have % increases coming up as well.

04-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Well, Canikon may have % increases coming up as well.
for example for comparison sake

the new Canon 24-70 2.8 is $2300
the 17-55 2.8 is $1200

the nikon 17-55 2.8 is $1500

Arguably these are better lenses than what Pentax has on offer (16-50 2.8) no major SDM issues anyway
04-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #48
Site Supporter

I may be mistaken, but the the value of the dollar seems to have declined considerably over the years and with that the buying power of the US consumer. The prices of Pentax lenses in the US have stayed historically low compared with the prices we Europeans pay. The price hike probably corrects that mistake in one go. Perhaps Pentax was hoping that rising sales in the potentially big US market would compensate for the declining margins but that didn't happen enough tho warrant continuing their policy of low prices. I don't have access to enough information to prove this off course but perhaps this is reasonable guess of whats happening to our dear Pentaxian friends in the US.

Last edited by Fries; 04-03-2012 at 12:46 PM.
04-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #49

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Cost effectiveness has always been at the top of my list. Having said that, I'm really not partial to branding(never was) and so if/when the time came for me to expand my kit, then I'd might have to consider whether these new prices would affect my system choice. Could it affect my camera choice? Perhaps, then again... I have pretty much every lens I've ever wanted and so I'm really not sure if I'll ever feel the burn myself. I do however, feel bad for the potential customers if Pentax looses its edge as a cost effective alternative to the competition. Then again... perhaps this is a bad thing as people are drawn to devaluate Pentax as the cheaper alternative too(tough to say). And so I think it could go either way.

But that's just me
Really, people have enough lenses do not care the price rise, or even hope so. But from my point of view the advantage of Pentax is its low price and relatively high quality. But it seems the advantage is going far away from we customers. If I were a new customer, why wouldn't I choose a Canon or Nikon at the same price?

Just bought a k-5 by my credit card, and decide to get a DA 15 at the end of the year. So disappointed that I have to pay nearly $200 more for the price change.

04-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 this is definitely part of the issue (and where disparities between Us and Canada prices came from. Pentax Canada was forced tore-evaluate pricing when our dollar hit par with the US dollar
If American want an idea of where the prices may finally end up Henrys would be a good spot to look since they are generally at a street list level - there are pople below them whop they match on demand

Shop for Digital Camera Lenses - Wide Angel or Telephoto Lenses - Henry's best camera store in Canada
04-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the used lens price could be increase more...

and also most of lenses are more expensive...

Who will going to buy those lens???

Should I happy about this or not???
04-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
I think the used lens price could be increase more...

and also most of lenses are more expensive...

Who will going to buy those lens???

Should I happy about this or not???
According to some here, yes you should be happy that they raised their prices, because it is all part of Ricoh's master plan.

Although if Pentax becomes more profitable, I don't think we will get a cut of the profits So the question becomes, why should I care if Pentax returns to its former glory in a few years?
04-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the FA limited all look like serious bargains next to the DA Ltd. I don't know how long before Pentax decides all FA lens should be subject to the same pricing policy as the DA and D-FA lens. Better act soon before it's really too late.

04-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #54
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
+1 this is definitely part of the issue (and where disparities between Us and Canada prices came from. Pentax Canada was forced tore-evaluate pricing when our dollar hit par with the US dollar
If American want an idea of where the prices may finally end up Henrys would be a good spot to look since they are generally at a street list level - there are pople below them whop they match on demand

Shop for Digital Camera Lenses - Wide Angel or Telephoto Lenses - Henry's best camera store in Canada
Eddie - those are MSRP. The DA40/2.8 Limited that I bought last moth for $369.99 at B&H shows $499.99 at Henry's, same as the Webstore.
04-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #55

LOL

What do you mean the message was too short?
04-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I can see Zeiss & Voigtlander doing very well out of this.
Sadly, they stopped catering for the K mount,
partly because it was perceived that they couldn't compete on price.
For example, the Ultron 40/2 at $450 used to be an expensive option to the DA 40.
But now B&H is asking $50 more for the Pentax lens.
04-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

Right now the people making the profit on this rise are the dealers not Pentax. that may change but it is the current reality
I think this was not well implemented but there is never a time when people will be happy with price rises. better to get it out of the way well before the peak selling season (xmas) and let it get ironed out and prices adjust so you don't miss your large volume season
04-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Eddie - those are MSRP. The DA40/2.8 Limited that I bought last moth for $369.99 at B&H shows $499.99 at Henry's, same as the Webstore.
yep and the street price is pretty close to that all the time with occasional sales (419 is generally the best price on it)
04-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Right now the people making the profit on this rise are the dealers not Pentax. that may change but it is the current reality
I think this was not well implemented but there is never a time when people will be happy with price rises. better to get it out of the way well before the peak selling season (xmas) and let it get ironed out and prices adjust so you don't miss your large volume season
Increased profit is predicated on actually selling items at those new prices, a fact that I doubt very seriously. I'm certain that neither B&H nor Adorama will talk about it but I would wager a good bit that sales of Pentax lenses have come to a standstill for each of them.
04-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #60
Site Supporter

Now you Pentaxians on the other side of the pond can experience what we Aussies Down Under have experienced for a long time. Our prices down here have been very high comparably, and now, I reckon they will go higher again.

It is rather disappointing. Pricing us right out of Pentax if it keeps up.