Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Funny thing is users here in the forums is trying to make a crushing profit:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/181281-sale-da-16-50mm.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/181256-sale-p...-250mm-f4.html

- this week is getting better and better; I think I will hang out a while for the show

Cant blame them for trying joe lol

04-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I wouldn't want to wish higher lens prices on anyone; I hope Europe doesn't follow suit. I perfectly understand profit needs to be made but the 15-90 % increases are too greedy. I'd be interested in seeing if this a) results in more profit overall and b) what this revenue is actually spent on, new product development or shareholder Yen.
You're missing the part that non of the extra pennies goes to Pentax.
All that happened now is that they introduce a minium sale price in the US, nothing more nothing less.
The stores still get the lenses at the same price they only sell it at a higher price to consumers.
04-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #93
Site Supporter

That is too bad...
I expect that from faceless corporations, not from fellow forum members
04-03-2012, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #94
Pentaxian

The Only Way Is Up.

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I must be the only happy one
Nope! I must admit that I'm pretty happy about this too because I paid AU$1500 for both my DA*50-135 & FA31 LTD from a local store here in OZ and those were discounted by local prices too. When I go Nikon in a few months I might just get a reasonable return on my investments as a result of these price rises because up until now the low US prices have destroyed the used value of any lens I try to sell here.

04-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #95

Do prices change alot on this stuff?
04-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #96
Site Supporter

For further info:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/180664-pentax-unilater...policy-19.html ... read this thread and post No. 285 below:

LaurenOE figured it out - they're completely revamping for coming new product introductions (cameras, lenses, accessories, services, structure - everything) and tehy HAVE to raise prices to slow the depletion of existing inventory. Otehrwise they'll be OOS and that's worse.

The resolution of this will be dramatic, that's for sure

JP
04-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #97
Site Supporter

So, from the list here: Brutal Pentax Lens Price Increase: 15-90% - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com ,given earlier about specific lens pricing "pre" and "post" Unilateral Pricing, here are the winners:

Changes in pricing: (+)

DA 14mm 35 %
DA 15mm Ltd 27 %
DA 21mm Ltd 27 %
DA 35mm 29 %
DA 35mm Ltd Macro 29 %
DA 40mm Ltd 47 %
D-FA 50mm Macro 22 %
DA* 55mm 25 %
DA 70mm Ltd 28 %
D-FA 100mm Macro 42 %
DA* 200mm 25 %
DA* 300mm 24 %
DA 10-17mm Fisheye 25 %
DA* 16-50mm 88 %
DA 17-70mm 25 %
DA 18-55mm 34 %
DA 18-135mm 23 %
DA* 50-135mm 88 %
DA 50-200mm 19 %
DA 55-300mm 23 %
DA* 60-250mm 54 %
-------------------------------------------
Highest Changes:

DA* 16-50mm 88 %
DA* 50-135mm 88 %
DA* 60-250mm 54 %
DA 40mm Ltd 47 %
D-FA 100mm Macro 42 %
DA 14mm 35 %
DA 18-55mm 34 %
-------------------------------------------

Recent marketplace prices for some of the above listed "Highest Changes" lenses are near or at the same price level as the "new" Unilateral pricing.
I did not specify which specific items were being sold (for nearly as much/on par with) as the new "unilateral pricing" but a new marketplace trend is appearing, as predicted, and it didn't take long.

Will that last?

Last edited by jpzk; 04-03-2012 at 05:13 PM.
04-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #98
Lens Buying Addict

LaurenOE figured it out. Read this

Ok, here is another scenario.

What would a company, that recently introduced a new lens roadmap and several new cameras, have to do to produce a new (or multiple) lens line(s), with the same amount of production facilities?

How do they...

1. Maintain product in the channel while production is shut down for re-tooling?
2. Slow down buying to preserve inventory?
3. Make sure that the customer buys the new lenses when they come out?
4. Phase out production of legacy lenses?
5. Create new sales agreements and targets?
6. Maintain inventory to support 2 replacement DSLRs and a possible FF DSLR while retooling?
7. Supply lenses in addition to the above cameras to the new additions as in - there will be a K -> Q adapter, lenses for the K-01 and a possible GXR K module demand.

Answer; You raise prices. Hire back lens engineers. Retool. Avoid having "nothing to sell" in the interim. Seems like business is good in the long run.

Sounds familiar

04-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #99
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
LaurenOE figured it out. Read this

Ok, here is another scenario.

What would a company, that recently introduced a new lens roadmap and several new cameras, have to do to produce a new (or multiple) lens line(s), with the same amount of production facilities?

How do they...

1. Maintain product in the channel while production is shut down for re-tooling?
2. Slow down buying to preserve inventory?
3. Make sure that the customer buys the new lenses when they come out?
4. Phase out production of legacy lenses?
5. Create new sales agreements and targets?
6. Maintain inventory to support 2 replacement DSLRs and a possible FF DSLR while retooling?
7. Supply lenses in addition to the above cameras to the new additions as in - there will be a K -> Q adapter, lenses for the K-01 and a possible GXR K module demand.

Answer; You raise prices. Hire back lens engineers. Retool. Avoid having "nothing to sell" in the interim. Seems like business is good in the long run.

Sounds familiar
I've quoted you, and the quote you had quoted ... see my earlier post (No. 96) above ! Sorry I took the liberty of posting before you did !

JP
04-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #100
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I've quoted you, and the quote you had quoted ... see my earlier post (No. 96) above ! Sorry I took the liberty of posting before you did !
JP
Its all good.
04-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #101

This is really crappy news considering that I'm waiting on a K-5 to arrive and am just starting a lens collection.

Hopefully the new stuff is worth it, or at least the prices go back down after it's released..

Should I stay or should I go...
04-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by chuckn246 Quote
This is really crappy news considering that I'm waiting on a K-5 to arrive and am just starting a lens collection.

Hopefully the new stuff is worth it, or at least the prices go back down after it's released..

Should I stay or should I go...
What new stuff? Raise the prices after the new stuff is out.

Someone else said it was done to benefit brick and mortar stores? FYI, Adorama and BHPhoto ARE brick and mortar stores. So in those Brick and mortar we pay more now?

One can only hope an explanation is coming soon! I'll take advantage and sell off some lenses just in case. First lens to sell is the DA40 since that's the most overrated overpriced now.

If we can expect consistent price increases like this from any camera manufacturer, then the whole camera market is going to disappear.
04-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #103
Pentaxian

Two different listing from Amazon
one at $1099
The order at $988
Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 3-Inch LCD (Black Body Only): Camera & Photo
Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 3-Inch LCD (Black Body Only): Camera & Photo
04-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #104

QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote
What new stuff? Raise the prices after the new stuff is out.

Someone else said it was done to benefit brick and mortar stores? FYI, Adorama and BHPhoto ARE brick and mortar stores. So in those Brick and mortar we pay more now?

One can only hope an explanation is coming soon! I'll take advantage and sell off some lenses just in case. First lens to sell is the DA40 since that's the most overrated overpriced now.

If we can expect consistent price increases like this from any camera manufacturer, then the whole camera market is going to disappear.

I was referring to the "new stuff" someone else talked about a few posts back.. I really do hope there's a reason for it, or it's just temporary!

A few hours ago, I bought the 55-300 lens from Amazon for $360, and it was $430 at B&H. Not sure what it was a few days ago, but that's a pretty decent gap in pricing.

There was also a place on ebay that had it for $300, but it seemed too good to be true so I passed on that one.
04-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Nope! I must admit that I'm pretty happy about this too because I paid AU$1500 for both my DA*50-135 & FA31 LTD from a local store here in OZ and those were discounted by local prices too. When I go Nikon in a few months I might just get a reasonable return on my investments as a result of these price rises because up until now the low US prices have destroyed the used value of any lens I try to sell here.
Some of these lenses came out initially at higher prices and later were discounted by sellers. So this price hike is recovering some of that devaluation and adds a bit more on top - not as dramatic as it sounds. It will benefit the used market.