Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
The silver linning here has to be... All those with a nice collection of Ltd lenses already have just gone up in value !
they have just got to be happy lol.
that's not a silver lining. How would you take photos if you sell?

This kind of increase is bad publicity especially with the DA* zooms getting ridiculous increases. It will be interesting to see where prices settle out at though. Most lenses increased 25% which is a little steep but not outrageous enough to be unexpected. Prices go up unfortunately but hopefully they go back down about half of the increase. it will seem like a deal then...

I was hoping to add a DFA100WR this year but that isn't going to happen with a 42% increase. So I'm probably back to picking up an M100f4 sometime. I might have to grab an FA43 soon though since those didn't get a price increase (yet). And the DA*300 was already in the nearly impossible category...

The DA40 pricing seems strange also since the DA40XS is basically the same lens.

04-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #107
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm just thankful this forum gave early notice of the price hike. I snaffled a DA15 and DA21 just in time :-)

Further purchases will have to wait until Pentax's future direction is more clear to me.
04-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote

This kind of increase is bad publicity especially with the DA* zooms getting ridiculous increases. It will be interesting to see where prices settle out at though. Most lenses increased 25% which is a little steep but not outrageous enough to be unexpected. Prices go up unfortunately but hopefully they go back down about half of the increase. it will seem like a deal then...

I was hoping to add a DFA100WR this year but that isn't going to happen with a 42% increase. So I'm probably back to picking up an M100f4 sometime. I might have to grab an FA43 soon though since those didn't get a price increase (yet). And the DA*300 was already in the nearly impossible category...

The DA40 pricing seems strange also since the DA40XS is basically the same lens.
Yes, that is right. Does not help if prices go up and you sell to make a few $$. Unless you swap out of system.
04-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'm just thankful this forum gave early notice of the price hike. I snaffled a DA15 and DA21 just in time :-)

Further purchases will have to wait until Pentax's future direction is more clear to me.

Lucky You!

I learned too late...just by hours. Wanted 2 - 15's and they shot up within hours of looking to buy them.

04-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Suddenly FA Ltds feel like a bargain... The price on the (few) wide angles is ridiculous.
04-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

I really wanted a DA15 but waited to long. I did manage to grab an open box 35mm LTD though.

EDIT: Also managed to grab a brand new DA 70mm for lower than what it usually sold for before the price hike.

Last edited by TopherTheME; 04-03-2012 at 11:08 PM.
04-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
nevermind the fact that i pretty much have all the lenses i need for now (my new FA21 just came yesterday), i perceive the increase to be something quite essential to the business plan. R&D and new product launches & support do not without cost; here is a company that is trying hard to finance its future.

I also doubt one could switch to canikon and pay far less money for a comparable body and set of good glass. Does anyone have some good comparison figures??
How about this one

nikon D7000 + 17-55 2.8 = 2624
Pentax K5 + 16-50 2.8 = 2600
Canon 7D + 17-55 2.8 = 2780
Canon 60DA + 17-55 2.8 = 2680

Pentax is still the cheapest in this scenario. but not by much

lens only Pentax is the most expensive
Canon 17-55 2.8 = 1180
Nikon 17-55 2.8 = 1424
Pentax 16-50 2.8 = 1500

04-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote

DA 40 XS is not the same lens. the basic element design may be but the DA is far better construction. what didn't make sense before was the XS for only $90 less than the LTD was selling for.
04-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My theory about all this has evolved somewhat based upon comments from non-USA members. I now believe PentaxUSA had embraced a No-Service, low price, BigBox distribution model to keep cash flow going during the economic crisis and the Hoya era. That strategy differed dramatically from Europe, Canada and Japan. Parts of Europe, IIRC, had outsourced their service departments and distribution had been centralized, I believe, in France (as the EU cross-border transport of goods became easier), but by-and-large the Direct regions ex-USA maintained a full marketing and service presence.

At a point, with global internet communication and shipping so easy, non-USA buyers could actually purchase on the internet from US retailers and have their items shipped to their home countries for less money than buying locally. That fact is a gross distortion of what should be a normal multi-ragional global market. I posted earlier that if an Australian buyer can pay currency exchange fees and $50 shipping and still pay less buying from a USA retailer, something is out of line.

While I still maintain some of this is preparing the battlefield for what is coming, and some more of it is to control gray market sales (just referenced, except ex-USA Pentax regional warehouses are the gray-market resellers!!) - quite a lot of this is simply to bring the USA into line with the other major regions so that we stop cannibalizing thier markets. If I were the head of Pentax Europe or Canada, or the Australian distributor, the first thing I'd as Ricoh to do is bring those nasty Americans to heel.

In a way it looks like Ned was outvoted.

Now we get to see whether Pentax USA can add enough infrastructure to the regional business to justify the prices. I suspect Ricoh insists they so do.

Now more than ever - Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. I still believe Ricoh has a plan, and I still believe you will be happy.
04-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Now we get to see whether Pentax USA can add enough infrastructure to the regional business to justify the prices. I suspect Ricoh insists they so do.
Well, they need to do a lot more to justify the prices - they may be looking to play in the big boys world but if their goal is to try and pass off and sell Chevy's (pentax current glass lineup) for the price of a Lexus' (canon L glass) than I believe they are paving the road for failure.
04-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Well, they need to do a lot more to justify the prices - they may be looking to play in the big boys world but if their goal is to try and pass off and sell Chevy's (pentax current glass lineup) for the price of a Lexus' (canon L glass) than I believe they are paving the road for failure.

Good summation Joe!
04-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #117
Pentaxian

they may be looking to play in the big boys world but if their goal is to try and pass off and sell Chevy's (pentax current glass lineup) for the price of a Lexus' (canon L glass) than I believe they are paving the road for failure.
I don't think the problem is that Pentax's glass is inferior to Canon's (are limiteds really Chevy's?), but that Canon has more brand name cachet. However, if these prices are too high, the Pentax won't be able to sell any glass, and they will be forced to lower their prices to more realistic levels (or give up on the U.S. market).
04-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
(are limiteds really Chevy's?)
No, they are not - they also did not increase in price that much.
04-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #119
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No, they are not - they also did not increase in price that much.
Limiteds are Corvettes.
04-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Limiteds are Corvettes.
haha, no they aren't limited are more like aston martins. corvettes are to brutish a comparison