Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
D'oh..
That certainly puts things into perspective
However, you do forgo SR with that pairing. It's another $600 for SR. Then if you want to upgrade to 2.8 L glass...

04-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #77
Forum Member

The thing to remember is that not all of us buy the expensive, top quality lenses. Having lenses that are affordable is very important because some of us will never spend over $550 for a lens because of our budget. That is my absolute limit. None of my Nikon lenses bought new cost over $500 each, and some quite a bit less, and that includes two f/1.8 and one f/2 primes. And I am not talking about kit lenses. And they are AF. It is really important for a DSLR maker to have affordable lenses because many users will move up to the more expensive offerings, but you won't get many of us in to begin with if there are not lenses in our budget. They can charge what they want for their most expensive lenses. Would I buy into Pentax now? No.
04-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by icywindow Quote
However, you do forgo SR with that pairing. It's another $600 for SR. Then if you want to upgrade to 2.8 L glass...
Even with IS, Its still about 700 bux cheaper than the 60-250
04-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
thanks for this info - when i go "shopping" for Nikon gear, i never know what glass is comparable.
I only shoot primes and wonder what Nikon and Canon have that compare well to say the 31/43/77 limiteds and the corresponding prices...do you know?? anyone?

You going Nikon? Back in the 70's I had 4 Nikon F's and 3 Nikonos. Also shot Hassleblads 500c and SWC. All great cameras.

This is the top dog of WA's...the standard by which all others are measured.

Amazon.com: Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo

Get a D800 and one of their top mid range zooms and you are pretty set. Maybe a macro prime as well. Check out Photozone for the IQ tests.

I wished Pentax had copied Nikons legendary 14-24 and made it about 95% as sharp and priced it about $1100. But according to Pentax's upgraded pricing, it would be right up there with Nikons glass if they had made one.

Before buying a Nikon system for $24,000 I decided to go for a Pentax since I could use 4AA batteries. (At least in their older models) If Nikon had continued with their AA compatibility that they started with with their first dslr's I would have spent a load of dough with them. But don't like the idea of spending $300-$400 for special batteries just so the company's can screw me to the wall.

Proprietary batteries are more powerful no doubt. But, AA's do a good job and I am not dissatisfied at all with their performance.

You young guys will see how complex you life can get when you have a dozen different chargers that run all these special batteries you must stock. The companies are fudging you cause they want to to buy their high priced batteries and you get locked into them. That is the reason I wont shoot with Nikon or Canon and wont go above Pentax 12 mp cams. They are all in the same boat of fudging the customer.

It is a wonderful feeling to know every damn thing you got runs on AA or AAA batteries. In the past I had to stock every type of battery from D's, C's, Lanterns and all the assorted proprietary batteries. On day I had enough and said fudge that. Made up my mind to never buy anything that wont run on AA's or AAA.

Now, I am not 100% successful with this strategy, but about 95% successful.

This wont run on AA's.

http://www.policemag.com/_Images/articles/M-Arsenal-82.jpg

My rad detector runs on 9v. Also few smoke detectors are 9v My garage door openers run on wafer batts...but that is it!

Now Nikons loss in one area may mean their gain as well. Maybe some of the Nikonians don't want to have a camera run on 4 AA's and only like high performance batteries. In any case, Nikons screwing over the AA battery devotee like myself produced $24,000 less in sales for them. Sure, not even a drop in the bucket for Nikon...just saying though.

So, in the place of the $24,000 Nikon system I have 6 older Pentax bodies and a ton of the finest glass I can get to fuel the bodies. Very happy with the system. Just wish I could get my hands on a few more lenses such as the legendary Sigma APO, Ziess and Voigt glass.

Good luck with your relocation to the other side and send us some pictures when your settled!!

04-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Darlene Quote
The thing to remember is that not all of us buy the expensive, top quality lenses. Having lenses that are affordable is very important because some of us will never spend over $550 for a lens because of our budget. That is my absolute limit. None of my Nikon lenses bought new cost over $500 each, and some quite a bit less, and that includes two f/1.8 and one f/2 primes. And I am not talking about kit lenses. And they are AF. It is really important for a DSLR maker to have affordable lenses because many users will move up to the more expensive offerings, but you won't get many of us in to begin with if there are not lenses in our budget. They can charge what they want for their most expensive lenses. Would I buy into Pentax now? No.
You go a few bucks more you can still get some Voigt glass? HSBS has them a lot cheaper too.

Voigtlander 90mm Pentax
04-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
You going Nikon?
NO, just running hypotheticals.
i am extremely happy with the K5.
04-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
With the Pentax-brand lenses being sold much higher now, what will the percolating effect be on the Marketplace ?

It seems evident that some sellers will try to up their prices accordingly, my guess !

Will this also have a negative impact on what's for sale in the Pentax brand on the "used" market?

JP

There is already a 60-250 listed for $1800 in the PF marketplace!

04-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Just watch the amount of pentax gear that goes up for sale from now !
Ive a feeling there is going to be an awful lot.
04-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
There is already a 60-250 listed for $1800 in the PF marketplace!

I already had a feeling that this would happen ! :ugh:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/180664-pentax-unilater...policy-18.html Post No. 259

and you can get that same lens for $1199 (new)/$1099 (open box).
so I guess the frenzy has already started.

JP
04-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Just watch the amount of pentax gear that goes up for sale from now !
Ive a feeling there is going to be an awful lot.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/180664-pentax-unilater...policy-18.html and yes there will be a lot of very expensive Limited's too !

JP
04-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I already had a feeling that this would happen !
And now thee's a $1400 DA*16-50 in the marketplace.
04-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
thanks for this info - when i go "shopping" for Nikon gear, i never know what glass is comparable.
I only shoot primes and wonder what Nikon and Canon have that compare well to say the 31/43/77 limiteds and the corresponding prices...do you know?? anyone?
Nikon have more "traditional" focal lengths.
31mm = 35mm
43mm = 50mm
77mm = 85mm

Theres a false myth that all the cheap Nikon lenses are DX, this is false, most nikon lenses are FX unless marked as DX. You will find that for comparable aperture speeds to the limiteds (eg at f/1.8) the nikons will be cheaper (even before the current price hike), its only at faster speeds (f/1.4) that Nikons become more expensive.

The nikon lenses are larger and they aren't all metal like the awesome limiteds, so you lose out on that (which most likely explains why the pentax lenses are dearer)
04-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #88
Veteran Member

K5's are popping up cheaper now - $988 on amazon -> this is accurate as the SRP is showing the new SRP of $1,099...

Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 3-Inch LCD (Black Body Only): Camera & Photo
04-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #89
Veteran Member

The silver linning here has to be... All those with a nice collection of Ltd lenses already have just gone up in value !
they have just got to be happy lol.
04-03-2012, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #90
Veteran Member

Funny thing is users here in the forums is trying to make a crushing profit:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/181281-sale-da-16-50mm.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/181256-sale-p...-250mm-f4.html

- this week is getting better and better; I think I will hang out a while for the show