Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 05:42 AM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
I was gonna go all out Pentax (K-5, several DA lenses) but now due to the increases in prices I am going to make a switch to Nikon. I can't wait for Pentax to get their stuff together and start offering lens rebates or whatever. The price increases don't make sense since they want more for lenses that Nikon has quicker versions of, not to mention metal mounts and quick shift.
I understand your frustration, I would suggest you do some careful comparisons. Nikon has some great glass, but it costs as much or more than Pentax glass even at the current levels. Aside from the base dal kit lenses BTW all Pentax lenses have Metal mounts and a most of the better lenses also offer quick shift.
A quick example of Nikon versus Pentax cost from amazon this am (apples to apples on the lenses apsc 2.8 zooms)
K5+ 16-50 2.8 -- 989.89 + 1099.99 total = 2089.88
D7000 + 17-55 2.8 -- 1269.95 + 1609.51 Total = 2880.46

In this case the Nikon is $790 more expensive

04-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #242
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
I was gonna go all out Pentax (K-5, several DA lenses) but now due to the increases in prices I am going to make a switch to Nikon. I can't wait for Pentax to get their stuff together and start offering lens rebates or whatever. The price increases don't make sense since they want more for lenses that Nikon has quicker versions of, not to mention metal mounts and quick shift.
Why not take the pledge instead?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/182890-take-pl...purchases.html
04-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #243
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

nobody likes to pay more for items...part of the enjoyment in buying is knowing you got the best deal possible...nobody like to pay msrp but if that is the going rate then you have to decide whether to buy or not...i have read so many discussions on why doesn't pentax have more lens to offer...i personally find it frustrating when i want a high quality fast lens and can't find it...perfect example i want the sigma 120-300 2.8...it would be even better if pentax had 1 but sigma isn't going make it in a pentax mount because they don't see pentax as a serious contender...so i want pentax to step it up and let everyone know we are equal to the other big names nikon and canon...yes the prices are too high on certain lens now but i have no doubt that they will come back down after market evaluations...i am willing to pay more money to get pentax back in the game and how much will be dependent on how bad i want it...it's simple supply and demand...there isn't enough supply or demand and hopefully this will change with the new strategy...if it doesn't then pentax will go out of business...i think anyone who has a k5 know this is a serious camera...i held a canon t3i the other day and it felt like a toy...pentax is a tank and i will stay with them until the end...i want pentax to start offering more lens but be prepared to pay accordingly if they make the lens in the same league as the high end nikon and canon lens...my last rant is i was looking at craigs list last week and a company was looking for sport photographers to take pictures of marathons, etc so they could turn around and sell to the individuals....the listing specifically said you had to have a canon or nikon...talk about being po'd...this company didn't think pentax was a viable system and personally i am tired of people not realizing the quality that pentax has to offer...end of rant
04-18-2012, 06:08 AM   #244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
nobody likes to pay more for items...part of the enjoyment in buying is knowing you got the best deal possible...nobody like to pay msrp but if that is the going rate then you have to decide whether to buy or not...i have read so many discussions on why doesn't pentax have more lens to offer...i personally find it frustrating when i want a high quality fast lens and can't find it...perfect example i want the sigma 120-300 2.8...it would be even better if pentax had 1 but sigma isn't going make it in a pentax mount because they don't see pentax as a serious contender...so i want pentax to step it up and let everyone know we are equal to the other big names nikon and canon...yes the prices are too high on certain lens now but i have no doubt that they will come back down after market evaluations...i am willing to pay more money to get pentax back in the game and how much will be dependent on how bad i want it...it's simple supply and demand...there isn't enough supply or demand and hopefully this will change with the new strategy...if it doesn't then pentax will go out of business...i think anyone who has a k5 know this is a serious camera...i held a canon t3i the other day and it felt like a toy...pentax is a tank and i will stay with them until the end...i want pentax to start offering more lens but be prepared to pay accordingly if they make the lens in the same league as the high end nikon and canon lens...my last rant is i was looking at craigs list last week and a company was looking for sport photographers to take pictures of marathons, etc so they could turn around and sell to the individuals....the listing specifically said you had to have a canon or nikon...talk about being po'd...this company didn't think pentax was a viable system and personally i am tired of people not realizing the quality that pentax has to offer...end of rant
You dreams can only come true if Pentax gets more income as a result. But the CEO of Pentax USA just posted that 100% of the incredible price rise goes not to Pentax, oh no, but to the retailers. But some will argue, 'Doc, higher volumn sales will increase Pentax's income thereby allowing them to make more gear.'. Hmmm, higher prices at the retail level have resulted in increased sales in what percentage of cases in the past?

04-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You dreams can only come true if Pentax gets more income as a result. But the CEO of Pentax USA just posted that 100% of the incredible price rise goes not to Pentax, oh no, but to the retailers. But some will argue, 'Doc, higher volumn sales will increase Pentax's income thereby allowing them to make more gear.'. Hmmm, higher prices at the retail level have resulted in increased sales in what percentage of cases in the past?
Their market research might have indicated that the potential of getting higher sales, at higher profit margins, by giving especially customers new to the DSLR market, a choice where they can compare Pentax physically with the opposition in a retail setting, might lead to more sales and higher turnover. Brick and mortar stores have higher overheads and must also make a living, so the price increase make sense if that is their strategy. If they've made the wrong choice and fail, so be it, then we move on to something else
04-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #246

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Their market research might have indicated that the potential of getting higher sales, at higher profit margins, by giving especially customers new to the DSLR market, a choice where they can compare Pentax physically with the opposition in a retail setting, might lead to more sales and higher turnover. Brick and mortar stores have higher overheads and must also make a living, so the price increase make sense if that is their strategy. If they've made the wrong choice and fail, so be it, then we move on to something else
I have a feeling they will fail miserably.
04-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote
I have a feeling they will fail miserably.
based on the fact that america now has prices comparable to Australia????

04-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #248
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Which makes one have to ask, how are the going to build this brick & mortar network up. Do they expect it to come from the increased profit margin from the New York brick and mortar stores?
04-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #249
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's the thing - if you tie yourself to the fate of B&M stores, all that's going to happen is that you're going down with them. That was the truth in 2008. Fast-forward to 2012 - there are barely any B&M stores left, the ones that are, are struggling, and Pentax pulls a this trick from the ancient past. I'm sorry to have to say it and I hope I'm wrong, but it does look like an act of pure desperation to me.

Last edited by Ikarus; 04-18-2012 at 08:26 AM.
04-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Which makes one have to ask, how are the going to build this brick & mortar network up. Do they expect it to come from the increased profit margin from the New York brick and mortar stores?
I think it is more a question of getting Pentax equipment into stores where the opposition already have exposure. If a B+M retailer can make a larger profit selling a Pentax, rather than a Canon, why would he not stock it?
04-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #251

Original Poster
Quite a lot of my friends feel disappointed too. Those who has already invested a huge sum on Pentax has no choice but stay here, but the others may skip to Canon or Nikon later. Any way, Pentax is still a good option for beginners.
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Next camera hobby purchase planned is a K-5 by end of year, so the lens announcements don't affect my strategy until my next big purchase after that (maybe 2013?). The next target lens, until the price announcement, was the 60-250. So with the price change, my strategy for that lens went from justifiable (barely), to unjustifiable (by a large margin). Will have to wait and see if a better price can be had, or change positions, or wait a lot longer to purchase.
04-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #252
Site Supporter

I think it is more a question of getting Pentax equipment into stores where the opposition already have exposure. If a B+M retailer can make a larger profit selling a Pentax, rather than a Canon, why would he not stock it?
They still have to sell it. They still have Nikon and Canon on the wall. Now, the competitive price relative to stellar optical quality as been brought closer to parity with the competition. Plus, the warranty is very weak when you get into that price range. If you need the warranty in the brief period, it is very slow.
04-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #253
Veteran Member

They still have to sell it.
If they have the incentive of making a higher profit, they'll do more to sell it, that's life in retail. Some first time buyers, even if they might have some information from forums like this, still like getting the information/demonstration/advice given by a sales person, and if that person's pay depends on a percentage of sales, what do you think he'll do?
04-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #254
Site Supporter

If they have the incentive of making a higher profit, they'll do more to sell it, that's life in retail. Some first time buyers, even if they might have some information from forums like this, still like getting the information/demonstration/advice given by a sales person, and if that person's pay depends on a percentage of sales, what do you think he'll do?
Sell the Nikon. That is what happened in Wolf when I bought my K20d. They didn't stock any in the stores. One of the 2 stores had a demo model but I never could see it. Of course now Wolf went bankrupt and both stores closed. The independent store does printing, developing and sells Sony. Again, don't forget the warranty issues and support at that price point.
04-18-2012, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #255
Veteran Member

They still have to sell it. They still have Nikon and Canon on the wall. Now, the competitive price relative to stellar optical quality as been brought closer to parity with the competition. Plus, the warranty is very weak when you get into that price range. If you need the warranty in the brief period, it is very slow.
Canon is a 1 year warranty as well.

I agree though Warranty should be longer. the 2 year we have makes more sense. As for the other guys being on the wall I think if you present a kr alongside a canon and Nikon it will still show value. and that is the real challenge. the bulk of sales are not the high price lenses it is the entry level. Entry level is where market share comes from. A mall percentage of those buyers will move up eventually. most will never go beyond a 2 lens kit. The challenge is to get the camera in the hands of those people.
the high end will sort itself out over the next 9 months, but they need to get into the channel that will grow the brand and that is not web sales it is B&M where the entry level is sold.
That expanding user base is what will support many of the things the rest of us want (more lenses, more and better bodies, more support from 3rd party vendors) it's a numbers game, and without growing at the base level the upper level will continue to struggle. From the current perspective the Web idea has failed Pentax, sure a lot of people bought Kx and KR after searching it out and doing research, canikon meanwhile sold tonnage of opening models by having them in stores