Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #286
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Entry level cameras sure have come a long way, specs on that 3200 are pretty descent for an entry level dslr...

04-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #287
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Entry level cameras sure have come a long way, specs on that 3200 are pretty descent for an entry level dslr...
yep, Nikon really has Canon in their crosshairs this year don't they

Edit - I wonder what 24mp sensor this is. I find it hard to fathom it could be the same one as the nex 7 (it's limit is 6400 iso so likely not)
04-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #288

Just saw that Nikon is releasing a 28/1.8 lens (FF) at the same time as the D3200 for $699.

Nikon announces new 28mm f/1.8 fast wide-angle prime lens, out May 28th for $699.95 | The Verge

So while Pentax is raising prices, and some are saying to wait several months for photokina, Nikon is gearing up to release some new kit.
04-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #289
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
Just saw that Nikon is releasing a 28/1.8 lens (FF) at the same time as the D3200 for $699.

Nikon announces new 28mm f/1.8 fast wide-angle prime lens, out May 28th for $699.95 | The Verge

So while Pentax is raising prices, and some are saying to wait several months for photokina, Nikon is gearing up to release some new kit.
this lens is a real change for Nikon. there fast wide G lenses have all been very expensive

04-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #290
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Since the Pentax lens are assembled in Vietnam, and the price increase in lenses isn't related to the manufacture of said lenses, it is pertinent to the topic in this thread.
That actually makes it not pertinent to this thread since it isn't a cause. So far the only two reasons that make sense for the higher prices are to build a B&M dealer network and to bring US prices in line with the rest of the world. #1 is a losing effort and #2 is somewhat justified imo.

Slightly related to this is that last week the FA31 and FA77 were in stock online while the FA43 was out of stock. Now all 3 are out of stock (at adorama at least). This combined with not increasing the price of these tells me that something else is up with these lenses.
04-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #291
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
That actually makes it not pertinent to this thread since it isn't a cause. So far the only two reasons that make sense for the higher prices are to build a B&M dealer network and to bring US prices in line with the rest of the world. #1 is a losing effort and #2 is somewhat justified imo.

Slightly related to this is that last week the FA31 and FA77 were in stock online while the FA43 was out of stock. Now all 3 are out of stock (at adorama at least). This combined with not increasing the price of these tells me that something else is up with these lenses.
Since there is no apparent cause, by your logic, the whole thread isn't pertinent. Plus, you say stock is low, but the factory doesn't matter. Apparently it does because stock is low. About the bold and underlined part: 5 years ago there was a lot bigger B&M network. Since then, there aren't many. Even the Wolf/Ritz chain is a fraction of what it was following the 2009 bankruptcy. Both stores here closed. The closest one to me is in Atlanta, Georgia which is a 5 hour one way drive.
04-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #292
Veteran Member

Since there is no apparent cause, by your logic, the whole thread isn't pertinent. Plus, you say stock is low, but the factory doesn't matter. Apparently it does because stock is low. About the bold and underlined part: 5 years ago there was a lot bigger B&M network. Since then, there aren't many. Even the Wolf/Ritz chain is a fraction of what it was following the 2009 bankruptcy. Both stores here closed. The closest one to me is in Atlanta, Georgia which is a 5 hour one way drive.
I listed the causes of the price increase. Rebuild B&M (bound to fail) and bring US prices inline with the rest of the world. Pentax (at least) claims that they are not seeing any additional money from the increase so any increase in production, engineering or material costs is not related to this price increase.

stock is low on FA ltds, not all Pentax lenses.

04-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #293
Site Supporter

I listed the causes of the price increase. Rebuild B&M (bound to fail) and bring US prices inline with the rest of the world. Pentax (at least) claims that they are not seeing any additional money from the increase so any increase in production, engineering or material costs is not related to this price increase.

stock is low on FA ltds, not all Pentax lenses.
But your causes are wrong. Read Ned's blog. They are forcing retailers such as Adorama et al. which are also B&M to sale at msrp. And the part in yellow was exactly my point. The money isn't going to build up anything including improved salary for workers at the factory or expanding the lines. It appears more of a strategy to slow down sales.

Edit: Discontinuing the LTD series would be a blow to the overall image of Pentax. Go look at some of Ned's responses that he made in his blog.

Ned:
QuoteQuote:
Bill S, when the prices settle down, I think you'll see we're competitive and I don't think it's apples to apples to compare a "limited" lens like the DA 21 with standard 20mm lenses - totally different construction, weight optics etc.

Last edited by Blue; 04-19-2012 at 09:18 AM.
04-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #294
Veteran Member

It appears more of a strategy to slow down sales.
While that is a likely consequence i doubt it's the primary goal Blue. Ned's responses on the blog to comments pretty much tell me it is a much more involved plan than "let's screw the end user" which sure seems to be the general feeling by a few here.
I think once everything is implemented things will make more sense, even to people who don't have much B&M near them (BTW there is a strong hint at Target getting the WR lineup of cameras which is a good thing AFAIAC, aside from the fact you could buy one locally it will expose a large number of people to one of the strongest sell points on the brand (I think there must be more than 1 WR camera this year if there is one suitable to Target's market)
04-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
this lens is a real change for Nikon. there fast wide G lenses have all been very expensive
Funny isn't it, Pentax raises prices on existing lenses without adding any value while Nikon comes out with new superior kit and actually offers it at a more affordable price.........makes you want to cry or rant or something.
04-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #296
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
While that is a likely consequence i doubt it's the primary goal Blue. Ned's responses on the blog to comments pretty much tell me it is a much more involved plan than "let's screw the end user" which sure seems to be the general feeling by a few here.
I think once everything is implemented things will make more sense, even to people who don't have much B&M near them (BTW there is a strong hint at Target getting the WR lineup of cameras which is a good thing AFAIAC, aside from the fact you could buy one locally it will expose a large number of people to one of the strongest sell points on the brand (I think there must be more than 1 WR camera this year if there is one suitable to Target's market)
If you saw the camera section at the local Target, you wouldn't be expecting to see a K-5 on the shelf. That is the only WR body in production except for the WG2.
04-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if Adorama is taking pre-orders for the Pentax announcement. Pentax> :kick: < Consumer
04-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #298
Veteran Member

If you saw the camera section at the local Target, you wouldn't be expecting to see a K-5 on the shelf. That is the only WR body in production except for the WG2.
not for long i bet

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/183023-photo-forum-rus...lr-camera.html

4 SLR in the line, I would bet on all but the entry being WR
04-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #299
Veteran Member

But your causes are wrong. Read Ned's blog. They are forcing retailers such as Adorama et al. which are also B&M to sale at msrp. And the part in yellow was exactly my point. The money isn't going to build up anything including improved salary for workers at the factory or expanding the lines. It appears more of a strategy to slow down sales.
Adorama/BH might have a B&M store but they are not a B&M company. they are an internet retailer that pushes prices as low as they can. When I read Ned's blog it is obvious that they are doing this to get product onto the shelf at real B&M stores by raising margins (and incentive to sell) for these stores. And that is a losing battle at this point imo.
04-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #300
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adorama/BH might have a B&M store but they are not a B&M company. they are an internet retailer that pushes prices as low as they can. When I read Ned's blog it is obvious that they are doing this to get product onto the shelf at real B&M stores by raising margins (and incentive to sell) for these stores. And that is a losing battle at this point imo.
B&H is still most definitely a B&M company. They are a travel destination for pros and enthusiasts.