Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I borrowed both before deciding on the 77. The main reasons I decided on the 77 are: a) easier to manual focus. Eventho the 70 has quick shift, the focus ring on it is teensytiny and there is only about 1/3 turn throughout the full range. The focus ring on the 77 is much wider and there is about a 1/2 turn throughout the range of the lens. b) The 77 is a full frame lens the 70 is aspc only. c) I liked the bokeh better on the 77.
They seemed to be equally sharp to my eye. One place where the 70 is definitely better than the 77 is CA, the 77 has some, especially wide open, the 70 had very little even wide open.

NaCl( and I love my 77 wouldn't part with it)H2O

05-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
IMO the main problem with DA 70mm, is that when you get it, after some time, it starts itching somewhere, that maybe FA77 might have been better choice. In my case it is somehow irrational feeling .
A.
There's of course an easy answer: get both

In seriousness, I got the 77ltd when it came out, and used it for years on my MZ-S before digital came around. As I still have (and use) the MZ-S as well as digital, the fact that it can be used on both is an enormous advantage of the 77ltd, which the 70mm doesn't bring.

Yeah, I tried the 70mm also, and it's a great lens too, but didn't bring anything that my 77mm didn't already give.

I can say, though, that the 77ltd is a great lens, and I even use it on my Q also
05-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #33
Mr_Canuck

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Don't know if I would call the DA 70 cheap as I doubt you will find a new one for under $500.00. Both the FA 77 and DA70 are excellet lenses. The FA77 has the better bokeh but doesn't focus as fast and apparently has issues with PF in some circumstances. If you plan to shoot mainly portraits and really want the buttery bokeh than the FA77 is your lens.
Tom G
I'd have to agree. I didn't consider the 77 probably based on price and I found a deal on a 70. I'd call the 70 "safer" meaning it's more stable in operation and optics. But the 77 offers more character, but you also have to be more careful with it in how you shoot. I had a FA43 and felt that way about it. It was a little temperamental like an artist. I ended up with a DA35 macro instead. I lost something. I gained something.

I think with the 77 you get something special. Take greater care, and you can get more out of it. With the 70 you get something stable. It's going to show up and perform and be a little more forgiving. But we're talking subtleties here. You'll win with either. See, I'm already thinking about a 77...