Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

To service or to sell: that is the question

Fellow Pentaxians... I scored an SMC M 35mm f/2 lens on the "bay". My initial joy lasted by a second when I realized I missed some of the finer print. The lens has some oil on the blades. I am not adventurous when it comes to opening a lens and attempting some self-service. Is this worth sending away to service, or should I leave it at f2 and enjoy it? I went for it out of curiosity to compare with my Zeiss Distagon 35/f2. Now I am not sure that was very smart.

I paid about $125 for it, and from what I read, after service, it would cost me much more than it is worth. SO, what is the next logical move? Should I sell the Zeiss and keep this if it performs well? What is the significance of oil on the blades? The lens is in the mail, BTW.

Thanks in advance.

04-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe that it would cost somewhere around $50 for service from Eric for that lens. Whether or not its worth an extra $50 plus shipping to you is a question only you can answer.
04-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Oo so you're the one who bought my 35mm f/2. You could have contacted me if you really didn't want it or didn't realize it had oil (I was very explicit about this though). I've already shipped it though, and I think once taking account the shipping costs to return it, you'd be best getting it serviced and reselling if you'd like, or just keeping. At $175+shipping after service, it's really not a bad price for this lens which often commands >$200
04-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
Oo so you're the one who bought my 35mm f/2. You could have contacted me if you really didn't want it or didn't realize it had oil (I was very explicit about this though). I've already shipped it though, and I think once taking account the shipping costs to return it, you'd be best getting it serviced and reselling if you'd like, or just keeping. At $175+shipping after service, it's really not a bad price for this lens which often commands >$200
It was a combination of my folly + my sense of integrity that made me not renege on my winning bid. You declared it but I failed to catch it. My fault, not yours. I appreciate your candor.

So who is this Eric who can service this lens, should I choose to go this route? Please PM me the information.