Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #1

Can anyone recommend a good glue for an m42 pin on an auto only lens?

Hi - The screws on the back of a Sun Optics 135mm lens appear too small for me to remove easily. Given what I paid for the lens, I'd prefer to just attempt to glue it in so that I can use all of the apertures. Any recommendations for a brand or type of glue? I'm in the USA if that helps at all. I'll be posting some reviews once I get enough photos taken, but it'd be hard to give a fair one at only 2.8.

04-03-2012, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

If you never intend to use it on an M42 camera, then just plain SuperGlue works.
04-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Rico. Do I just put glue on the pin and let it sit on the screwmount while it does its work or is there a better way?
04-03-2012, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Use the thick gel type. Put on dab around the base of the pin and then put the lens pin-side down (balance it between a couple of books or similar) so the pin is held down (and if the glue moves at all it gravity will take it away from the lens innards). I've done it lots of times.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 04-04-2012 at 09:42 AM.
04-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have found most lenses are easy enough to put a split piece of a ball point pen refil around even without opening the lens, if you use super glue be very careful and limit the amount, the solvents that are released can attack the coatings if any or leave deposits on the lens elements
04-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My experience: Put just a drop of cheap dollar-store superglue with the pin pushed down so the glue gets around its shaft, then keep the pin held down with something heavy enough. It's been awhile since I did this, but I recall putting a coin or metal slug atop the pin, then the head of a hammer atop that. Instructions say it dries quickly; I'm paranoid, so I left it about 12-15 hours, no rush. Pick up the hammer; twist the coin|slug to break it free from the lens; voila!
04-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the thorough advice. I'll get started tomorrow on my lenses one by one and post back once I'm finished to let you know how it went.
04-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
Managed to pick up some 3M superglue and after waiting 30 minutes, both lenses I put glue on had the pin firmly in. The 135mm was harder as the pin was thicker and it wouldn't depress under its own weight so in order to get it to work I had to put a large book on top of the lens. So far I'm reasonably impressed with both lenses and will post a review once I'm a bit more familiar with them.

04-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #9

Putting a glob of glue over the top of the pin (when pushed down) doesn't always work. On some lenses the pin pushes up with sufficient pressure to eventually poke through the glue. For my Helios 44-M-4, I ended up putting a small fragment of AOL CD over the pin, held in place with two part loctite-type glue. Whatever you end up using, the two most important considerations are to keep it off the lens elements and to avoid gluing the lens to your person
04-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I use epoxy glue. Works all the time.